• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CME and RCE Cap badges

V

Veteran`s son

Hello

I am wondering what the Canadian Military Engineers hat badge looks like please?

Also, how long have they had the current hat badge?

it looks like this:
logo_cmea_crest.gif
but I don‘t know how long this one‘s been in service.

The old engineer cap badge was the same as the British one and can be seen in the top left-hand corner at:
http://www.atra.mod.uk/atra/rsme/

The colours might have been slighly different. Sorry I couldn‘t be more help.

badgest.gif

Top left was Reserve Engineers. Right of that are the badges of the permanent force. This badge changed a few times because the center was the cipher of the reigning monarch, and each badge represents a new king or queen. Bottom center is post-unification.

Thank you McG!

That answers something that I was wondering about!

The centre badge(the current badge worn today) would then be the hat badge my dad wore when he retired from the Canadian Forces in 1971.

I believe the current badge was not actually approved until 1976. Through his career, your father probably wore the both two badges at the top right.

RCE.gif

Hello everyone:

What did the Canadian Military Engineers first cap badge(in 1968) look like please ?
Was it similar to that of the Royal Canadian Engineers?
My father wore the new Canadian Military Engineers badge for his last three years of service
in the Canadian Forces?

Thank you!

The first cap badge of the CME is the same one we wear today.   Prior to that we wore the RCE cap badge (which changed with each king or queen). However, I believe there were a brief few years during which the CME cap badge was only English.   There does not seem to be any mention of this in official histories that I have read, but I have seen photographic & other evidence.

I have an old version of the Kings crown hat badge for the Canadian Engineers.  It has only english on it and has the two lug back piece.  The badge reads Canadian Engineers.  No Royal.  PM me if you would like a picture of it.

Cheers!! :cdn:

The Army Guy

Hey, last i checked, our old cap badge
the EIIR HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE one is still in use in england.

hehe and more off topic french engineers guard the eiffle tower.... just incase they need someone to blow it down i guess

hehe Chimo!

Spr. Richmond

The only dif. between the R.E. badge and our R.C.E. was our badge has Maple Leaves and the R.E. badge has laurel leaves.

I wish we were still R.C.E.
It still pees me off that it was taken away(Political)as it was a so called Battle Honour to receive the Royal for us Engineers as we have non but to have the Crown to bestow the honour of Royal to us still means something especially after these last close on 20yrs.

We are the only Military in the Commenwealth that has removed the Royal from the Engineers!!
Why?
I have researched and still have not found a answer.
We built the tunnels under Vimy,in WW II we were tunnelers on the Rock!!

Give us back the Honour that those who earned it and bestowed up on us so we that have come after them can wear it with pride and remember our past. :cdn: :salute:

It would be great if the Engineers were once again called Royal Canadian Engineers? I wonder if there are other Sappers who feel this way as well, Spr.Earl?
My father served in WW2 and Korea as a member of the RCE. :salute: :cdn:

i have about five different types of cap badges PM me if you would like a scan of them

ya we should deffinately get the royal back... makes no sense as spr earl said

If you look closely, you will notice that the RE badge has a wreath of laurel leaves. The RCE badge has a wreath of maple leaves.   Usually the easiest way to tell em apart at any kind of distance....

Kat

My belief is that our Royal Cypher was rescinded in order to placate the non-English Canadians at unification time (PTOOOIE!!).  The reason it was allowed to happen is because the Sappers had (and still have) very few friends in the Cocaine Refinery (NDHQ).  It also didn't help that we were downgraded to Combat Support Arm status..... Notice no infantry, armoured, or arty regiments lost their Cypher.

Kat

Let the Fd Engrs..excuse me Cbt Engrs...get the title RCE back. All the 600 series trades can stay CME in keeping with their ability to be posted to the other elements read AF Engrs, Engineering Services. 1 CEU, etc. Keep the same cap badge, just change out the shoulder titles, slip ons, etc. Or if that is not satisfactory then say that all Sappers wearing a green uniform are now RCE and the Blue jobs get CME?
  It would be best to just change the whole shooting match. They brought back distinctive uniforms etc, why not as recognition of the blood and sweat shed allow a return to RCE? Let the navy return to RCN and the AF to RCAF? How much effort and money is really required to change?

Thoughts?

Back