• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CityNews Toronto "Invasion" Story

FSTO said:
I always find it curious that it is white people who are longtime residents of a city who state "my neighbours were traumatized" and we never get to hear from the neighbours.

I wouldn't know about the "traumatized" neighbours. But, if they are anything like the Holocaust survivors we used to treat, perhaps they were. 
They were easily triggered. You had to speak to them in a quiet tone of voice. Gently reassure them. Use the siren sparingly, if at all.

I live near the CNE Airshow. I'm used to it, but not everyone is a fan,
https://nowtoronto.com/news/think-free-blog/10-people-who-hate-the-goddamn-toronto-air-show/

Thats interesting MarioMike, I never would have thought of that, re:  the holocaust survivors.  I couldn't even imagine the kind of emotional/spiritual/physical truma they carried with them.  Honestly I have a difficult time literally imagining it.

Back in 2012 I had the troops in Lethbridge doing their annual BFT.  Full kit, marching down one of the main traffic corridors.  People would be honking, giving big thumbs up, even had the firefighters pull up & brought all 15 (17?) troops an Iced Capp!  Nothing but positive support from the community!

And in 2013 when the floods hit Calgary, and people were literally being plucked off roof-tops, support for the CF couldn't have been better.  Calgary Stampede parade crowd always gets loudest when the Leopards & LAV 3's roll infront of them.    :salute:

I guess what I was really trying to say there is....

Toronto sucks, and we all know it  ;)

CBH99 said:
I guess what I was really trying to say there is....

Toronto sucks is full of too many mambie-pambie sheltered *half-human, half My Little Pony* beings, and we all know it  ;)

Alternate version?  ;D

Oh look!!  Yet another thread becomes a Toronto (or Ontario) Emergency Services link-plentyful topic.

WHY??  Au contraire, the nation and this site's threads do NOT rotate around all things/links - Toronto EMS.

It's a story about MILITARY training in Toronto, not Toronto EMS.  Give it a freakin' rest already.

I can see the connection mariomike is making...

On the one hand, you have all the latte sipping hippies up in arms that MEMBERS OF THEIR OWN CANADIAN FORCES are visible to them, and therefore must be invading.  (I'm not sure how you invade your own country, but let's all agree that logic isn't high on the priority list here...)

These same people are up in arms on behalf of their neighbours who - as was pointed out above - we never actually get to hear from.  (Are these imaginary people terrified of the news reporters too?  It would appear so.)

I THINK what MarioMike was trying to express was that....YES, there are groups people who are genuinely very sensitive towards seeing armed soldiers in the streets, and simply used his experience with elderly holocaust survivors as an example.  However, the latte sipping hippie crowd shouldn't be one of them.

ArmyVern said:
Oh look!!  Yet another thread becomes a Toronto (or Ontario) Emergency Services link-plentyful topic.
All roads lead to Rome Toronto EMS.  :nod:

Maybe in an alt-universe, there's a Toronto EMS site where every thread has someone posting irrelevant links and "this one time in Meaford at Militia band camp..." stories.  ;)

CBH99 said:
I can see the connection mariomike is making...

I THINK what MarioMike was trying to express was that....YES, there are groups people who are genuinely very sensitive towards seeing armed soldiers in the streets, and simply used his experience with elderly holocaust survivors as an example. 

:nod:

FSTO said:
I always find it curious that it is white people who are longtime residents of a city who state "my neighbours were traumatized" and we never get to hear from the neighbours.

Written and directed by Maya Bastian, ‘Air Show’ is a short narrative film that interrogates the experience of newly-arrived Toronto refugees who experience the Canadian Air Show for the first time.

Amongst cheers of glee and exhilaration from it’s viewers, the Canadian Air Show has been tormenting Parkdale citizens for nearly 50 years. The Toronto neighbourhood of Parkdale is a diverse area which owes it’s vibrancy to the scores of immigrants and refugees that influence it’s streets.

Nearly 20,000 displaced persons call Parkdale home, many of whom have experienced war and aerial bombing first-hand. What happens when they arrive traumatized by conflict, only to have an extravagant show of Canadian military strength in their front yard? Do the fighter jets above their heads, the deafening noises and the windows rattling elicit a distinct response? This film poses these questions through the eyes of a newly widowed father and his young daughter. The pair arrive as refugees from the 30-year civil conflict in Sri Lanka. They are adjusting to a new, impoverished life when the Canadian Air Show interrupts their dysphoria.

‘Air Show’ aims to explore the intersection of Canadian culture and tradition with our ever-evolving climate of diversity and acceptance. The result is an intimate look at the trauma of conflict, the remnants of which are oft carried over into daily life.

In an experimental fashion, the film was shot during the 2016 Canadian Air Show. All of our professional actors are also victims of war who have experienced air raids. While filming, the actors had the opportunity to react in real-time to the noise and disruption of the fighter jets flying above.
http://www.mayabastian.com/press/

Maya Bastian ( pictured ).

Attachments

• maya-bastian.jpg
    maya-bastian.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 229
mariomike said:
Written and directed by Maya Bastian, ‘Air Show’ is a short narrative film that interrogates the experience of newly-arrived Toronto refugees who experience the Canadian Air Show for the first time.

Amongst cheers of glee and exhilaration from it’s viewers, the Canadian Air Show has been tormenting Parkdale citizens for nearly 50 years. The Toronto neighbourhood of Parkdale is a diverse area which owes it’s vibrancy to the scores of immigrants and refugees that influence it’s streets.

Nearly 20,000 displaced persons call Parkdale home, many of whom have experienced war and aerial bombing first-hand. What happens when they arrive traumatized by conflict, only to have an extravagant show of Canadian military strength in their front yard? Do the fighter jets above their heads, the deafening noises and the windows rattling elicit a distinct response? This film poses these questions through the eyes of a newly widowed father and his young daughter. The pair arrive as refugees from the 30-year civil conflict in Sri Lanka. They are adjusting to a new, impoverished life when the Canadian Air Show interrupts their dysphoria.

‘Air Show’ aims to explore the intersection of Canadian culture and tradition with our ever-evolving climate of diversity and acceptance. The result is an intimate look at the trauma of conflict, the remnants of which are oft carried over into daily life.

In an experimental fashion, the film was shot during the 2016 Canadian Air Show. All of our professional actors are also victims of war who have experienced air raids. While filming, the actors had the opportunity to react in real-time to the noise and disruption of the fighter jets flying above.

Its a damn shame Canada cant celebrate its own sons and daughters because the new house guests/renters might be nervous.  WTF is happening to my country ?

mariomike said:
Maya Bastian

...from it’s viewers...
Grammar: "its" is already a possessive; "it's" is a contraction for "it is."

... an extravagant show of Canadian military strength...
Obviously she hasn't been tracking the budget or procurement threads, and is basing her knowledge on having heard, "whipping out our CF-18s."

...the Canadian Air Show interrupts their dysphoria.
Actually, having ones' dysphoria interrupted should be a positive thing.    ???
/pedant    ;)

Journeyman said:
/pedant    ;)

She's cute though so I'll give her a pass on everything and cancel the air show in exchange for a phone number and dinner for two  ;D

mariomike said:

Instead of enabling our new immigrants, we should be showing them that these sounds are the sounds of their new freedom. And now that they are free, they should come out and see and hear what they are now paying taxes for. After all, some things aren't free.

Humphrey Bogart said:
She's cute though so I'll give her a pass on everything and cancel the air show in exchange for a phone number and dinner for two  ;D

And here comes the berating about how females aren't objects and what you just said completely sexualizes them.

Oh wait, did I just assume a gender?

In all seriousness, we need to stop pandering to fear. If immigrants are scared then we need to stop sheltering them, instead it should be encouraged for them to come out and see that there is nothing to fear or be scared of. Is that not what we ask of our own who suffer from mental trauma? We ask that they do not suppress and hide it, rather that they come out into the open and talk to people about their experiences.

"This world of ours... must avoid becoming a community of dreadful fear and hate, and be, instead, a proud confederation of mutual trust and respect."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Sri lanka has a great total of 7 jet fighters. Five of them are old Mig-21 used for jet training only (with likely only one or two in flying condition at any time). The other two, ever so slightly more modern can only be used to keep one of them in flying condition at any time.

I very very very much doubt that any of them has been used for air attacks in their more than 30 years of civil wars. It's a ground based - jungle run affair and none of those jets would be very useful in it, if they could even come close to seeing what is going on on the ground.

Moreover, if these two immigrants are Sri Lankans, then their life in Canada has most likely (unless from the very small ruling cliques) enriched them, not impoverished.

Finally, if you suffer from dysphoria (a state of unease or generalized dissatisfaction with life), you probably don't mind something "interrupting" that state, unless you are Hardy Har Har the laughing hyena.

Like I would ask those callers to Shearwater who wanted to complain about the noise of the yearly airshow and flight operations.  "Shearwater has been a military airfield since 1918, when did you move into the neighbourhood?"

The Toronto show came first, maybe these new comers could get out of the city for the day and explore Ontario.  Much like a Calgarian will get out of town during Stampede week if they don't want to deal with tourists.  Or is this woman wanting to teach them to get on the whine train with the rest of her kind?

What about those refugees that may rejoice to see a Western fighter jet overhead as it reminds them of the people that risked their own lives in a foreign country to protect them from barbarians intent on killing all those that don't subscribe to their particular flavour of belief?

I wonder if Maya Bastian would agree that we should ban burkas as it may trigger victims of abuse by Islamic men or especially the sex slaves that escaped with their lives and are coming to Canada?

Back