• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF to Review Disability Back-to-Work, Accomodation Policies & Practices

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Better late than never - this, from MERX:
.... RFP DND-09/00621 - CIVILIAN DISABILITY IN THE WORKPLACE - REVIEW

It is the intention of the Department of National Defence (DND) to award a single contract for services required to undertake a comprehensive review of the employments systems, policies, practices and services as it relates to disability management and the accommodation of civilians with a disability including: return-to-work program, and workplace accommodation....

(A bit) more on the attachment.

Reference Number  180220
Solicitation Number DND-09/00621

This is for DND civilians, not military personnel.  Meaning DND's ADM(HR-Civ) is engaging in massive scope creep.  Such policies for public servants are set by TBS and the Public Service Commission - it's not up to any individual government department to try to make up their own rules.

Ah, yes, more HQ bloat...

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat - and I was naive enoiugh to think it was to (even eventually) help the uniformed wounded.

Consider my premature bubble burst.... :(

I see what you mean by Scope creep, but they may be undertaking this due to the policy that medically released members are eligible as priority candidates for Public Service Positions. They may be making sure there's no internal road blocks due to other Hr policies that may exclude some. I have no hard evidence that this might be the case, just my eternal optimism :)

Btw Tony your avatar cracks me up!

Timex said:
Btw Tony your avatar cracks me up!

Have to footnote it - here's where I found it while searching for something else (bottom of page):
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/07/awesomely-bad-military-patch-asks-who-would-jesus-shoot/

As I re-read the Statement of Work, I see the following:
    “OBJECTIVE:
    For the contractor to undertake a comprehensive review of the department’s employment systems, policies, practices and services as it relates to its disability management practices and the  accommodation of civilians with a disability, including:

* Return to Work Program; and
        * Workplace Accommodation.

The Contractor will provide the following:

* An evaluation of the current situation at DND (including regard for the management of CF casualty management framework to determine how military members are dealt with as compared to civilians in order to highlight possible best practices in use);
        * A summary of DND obligations regarding the accommodation of civilians with a disability;
        * A report of the issues and/or gaps between obligations and current situation;
        * Recommendations for a “framework” (i.e. the composite of policies, procedures, practices, etc.) to meet DND obligations and realities; and
        * Recommendations for future monitoring of the DND framework for accommodating persons with a disability.“
I'd love to hear from anyone about  how much hope I should maintain in light of the sections in yellow - could this sort of review could lead, even indirectly, to some improvement in the lot of wounded warriors?  Or are the yellow bits just a "be sure you're also keeping in mind the system for military wounded when you're doing the review" caveat?

It does have to do with our wounded, not Public Service employees that get hurt.  They are covered under different terms, as a PSE.

From a recent DCSM brief, we were told that they are looking at ways to integrate wounded, and injured personnel.  They want to see how to either integrate them into the CF, DND, or back to the civilian world.

This is obviously a unique model,a nd they are looking at all that is out there, before coming up with a haphazard method.

dileas

tess

Thanks for that - I am left a bit less pessimistic.

Back