• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF 100 : Leave Pass [Merged]

As you are in Toronto I would suggest going to the recruiting centre on Young Street (Young and Shepard), they not exactly how to stamp the leave pass.  I have tried post offices in the past and like you found out most don't know what you are talking about and it can get real frustrating.

dangerboy said:
As you are in Toronto I would suggest going to the recruiting centre on Young Street (Young and Shepard), they not exactly how to stamp the leave pass.  I have tried post offices in the past and like you found out most don't know what you are talking about and it can get real frustrating.

;D  Will they be open?  Another option may be a trip to Downsview and LFCA.  There may be some Duty person with access to some form of stamp, or just a 'signatory'.

Try Union Station Ticket office.

I have found in the past that usually when you explain to the Post Office fully that you are on leave from another location and that you need an official stamp to put on your leave pass to state that you were there and what the purpose of it is for, although slighltly bemused, they have had no problem stamping the pass.  In Toronto, you have alternate options to use, but when you go to Duck Squat, Saskatchewan, the Post Office or Mountie Office are the only options.

You could go to the Municipality office, police station or any other federal/provincial office to get it stamped.

Keep in mind that most "post offices" aren't post offices anymore.  They're postal outlets that are franchised out to the store in which they're located.  The "postal clerk" is employed by the store, not the post office.  Thus, many of the things that we used to expect of postal clerks are no longer available.  Your safest bet is to go to a police station.  The guy on the front desk is usually pretty helpful, once he realizes you're not there to make his/her life difficult.

The biggest problem is we (the CF) are asking our members to obtain an official "stamp" from outside agencies that have absolutely no interest in what it is we are asking our members to accomplish.

The current system is archaic and outdated; there are easier ways to document attendance at a location rather than sending our people on a wild goose chase.

garb811 said:
The biggest problem is we (the CF) are asking our members to obtain an official "stamp" from outside agencies that have absolutely no interest in what it is we are asking our members to accomplish.

The current system is archaic and outdated; there are easier ways to document attendance at a location rather than sending our people on a wild goose chase.

;D

Usually one has a airline ticket and Boarding Passes if they travel by air.  Travel by train or bus would also produce a ticket.  In all these cases, if one were making a Claim on return to their unit, the tickets would have to be included with the Claim.  For those who drive their own vehicles, outside of their "Bde Area", there would also be fuel receipts.  Many have a dinner out with family or while travelling, so they should also have meal receipts.  In the end, one would have numerous receipts to prove that they had in fact been to the location that they claim they were on Leave.

George Wallace said:
Usually one has a airline ticket and Boarding Passes if they travel by air.  Travel by train or bus would also produce a ticket.  In all these cases, if one were making a Claim on return to their unit, the tickets would have to be included with the Claim.

Not in all cases and I'll tell you why.  When you get mileage as opposed to a percentage of your ticket cost, someone living near a "popular" destination is going to make money on their claim.

Example - When I was in Pet and hubby was in Gagetown, it cost me about $600 for a YOW-YFC return flight - my claim amounted to about $267.  However, Pte Bloggins who flew to Vancouver, got a return flight for about $300 but considerably more for his claim.

See how that works?  ;)

And if by the  ;), you are implying that Pte Bloggins turned a profit by saying he drove when he flew, he would have comitted fraud.  But in any case, that issue has absolutely nothing to do with getting a leave pass stamped, as the stamp's purpose is to show you were at the location, not how you got there.

garb811 said:
And if by the  ;), you are implying that Pte Bloggins turned a profit by saying he drove when he flew, he would have comitted fraud.  But in any case, that issue has absolutely nothing to do with getting a leave pass stamped, as the stamp's purpose is to show you were at the location, not how you got there.

True and true.  :nod:

PMedMoe said:
Not in all cases and I'll tell you why.  When you get mileage as opposed to a percentage of your ticket cost, someone living near a "popular" destination is going to make money on their claim.

Example - When I was in Pet and hubby was in Gagetown, it cost me about $600 for a YOW-YFC return flight - my claim amounted to about $267.  However, Pte Bloggins who flew to Vancouver, got a return flight for about $300 but considerably more for his claim.

See how that works?  ;)

Just as I was only allowed to claim Return fare Halifax to Fredericton, for my flight from Frankfurt to Toronto connecting to Fredericton.    ;D

[Edit to add}

However, my point was not for a person's Claim, but that they would have numerous receipts to prove that they were in fact in their location.  I am sure their Visa/MC bills will reflect their movements over a Leave Period. 

Some may find it odd but at age 48 I only married 2 years ago so have been claiming LTA for roughly 26 years. As explained to me by the CClk (PO1 RegF) when I was RSS at HMCS SCOTIAN a few years back, the MAXIMUM entitlement is equivalent to mileage. If for example, that entitlement was $500 and you had a $450 ticket, and 2 cab fares to/from airports totalling another $100, you would get $500. Someone is correct, Pvt Bloggins is guilty of fraud but so may the clerk who (if knowingly) processed the claim.
Back to the original question - I used to get the local Catholic priest to stamp and sign mine right after midnight mass. It got to the point that mom and dad's parish priest in Burlington ON would come looking for me after the service!! After all, everyone goes to church over Christmas, don't they?-Even the $10 Catholics!!!

As well if you cant get your leave pass stamped or your like me and you forget it from time to time you can do one of the following:

1) If you use online banking go back though your records and print screen the time period you were at your destination. It will likely state that you spent X at Y and that has worked for me in the past.

or

2) Statutory Declaration, this is just you swearing and promising that you actually went to the place on your leave pass and a simple mistake on your part stopped you from getting you CF100 signed. Dont use this to lie if you didn't go because then your committing fraud and if they catch you (Which the do) you will punished.

I am currently on SLTA and as I was "OTW" for the tour my so CoC in KAF did up my leave pass and left Halifax on the address. Unfortunately my NOK is in Kingston, Ont. To remedy this, as explained to me by the tasking clerks who are handling my SLTA, as long as my NOK form states my NOK is in Kingston that will be good enough with a Stat Dec.

Have I turned you inside out yet ? lol hahaha

OH Acronym legend:

SLTA= Special Leave Travel Assistance
OTW= Outside the Wire
CoC= Chain of Command
NOK= Next Of Kin

We should just cut out the crap and do what is done for VTA: 

Establish the benefit as the low rate milage and pay it out once per fiscal year and make it a taxable benefit.  Leave it up to the member to administer it and spend as they see fit (ie. if they can stretch two trips home, great, if only one or only a subsidy for one, such is life).  If the money is spent for the purposes required, no tax is paid, should the money not be used for the purpose required, the money is either paid back or taxed as income.  If Revenue Canada decides to audit the member and if the member can't prove they spent it on travel IAW the policy, they get taxed on it as income.

George Wallace said:
;D

Usually one has a airline ticket and Boarding Passes if they travel by air.  Travel by train or bus would also produce a ticket.  In all these cases, if one were making a Claim on return to their unit, the tickets would have to be included with the Claim.  For those who drive their own vehicles, outside of their "Bde Area", there would also be fuel receipts.  Many have a dinner out with family or while travelling, so they should also have meal receipts.  In the end, one would have numerous receipts to prove that they had in fact been to the location that they claim they were on Leave.

I'm not saying our current system is not archaic; however, not all the things listed here actually prove you went to your destination.  Airline tickets only prove that you bought a ticket, not that you didn't cash it in after you filed your claim (although this is harder to do now with electronic ticketing, it was really easy back in the days of multiple carbon copies).  Gas and fuel receipts only prove that somebody bought these things, not that you did.  Who's to say a buddy didn't mail you some spare receipts?  Before everybody shakes their heads and says "ridiculous," I have seen attempts to commit fraud using all these things.  I even had a hand in sending one kid to jail over it.  Perhaps we need a better system, but at the moment, we're stuck with what we have.  Just because the office you go to doesn't understand the reasoning, doesn't mean they won't stamp your leave pass.  I've found that if you simply tell them it's to prove you were there, they usually do it without too much trouble.

No system is perfect and the current system is open to abuse as well.  When I was a young 'un, my mom was nice enough to get my leave pass stamped at the post office when I was home on LTA and sleeping late.  Further, not once in the 10 years that I claimed VTA was I ever asked for ID to prove I was who the leave pass said I was supposed to be; I could simply have mailed my leave pass to a buddy at home and got him to mail it back.  The point is, we (the CF) are putting the onus on our pers to get an "official" stamp from outside organizations/agencies with no concurrence from them that they will do so, and this is causing confusion and angst for our members.  It is a flawed premise that the stamp certifies that the member actually travelled to the NOK location because, chances are, the person actually stamping the leave pass has no idea what they are stamping or what they are supposed to be doing (ie. confirming the identify of the person who is getting the leave pass stamped and the fact they attended that location) and are simply stamping it because they were asked to and someone provided a "reasonable" explanation of why they needed it.

The goal of reducing the possiblity of fraud is better accomplished via other means, examples of which GW has provided, and we do it on other issues which have a much higher risk of someone working the system.  ie. I don't see anyone asking me to get my claim stamped when I go on TD by myself to attend a conference...

CFRC's are closed till the 4th, i went to the local police station at square one and they stamped it.

Any police officer can sign off on these...they just need to put their detachment and badge number. Buddy once flagged down one of the bike-mounted RCMP at YVR to sign his. The guy was extremely confused as to what he was signing but once we explained it to him twice, he smiled, nodded and signed.

CanadianTire said:
Any police officer can sign off on these...they just need to put their detachment and badge number. Buddy once flagged down one of the bike-mounted RCMP at YVR to sign his. The guy was extremely confused as to what he was signing but once we explained it to him twice, he smiled, nodded and signed.

*LOL* That's awesome.

Back