• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public Service Reserve Leave Requests

cankid08

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm looking into public service reservist leave requests, and let me tell you it is hell. From searching this forum, it looks like someone has a memo stating that courses up until OFP don't qualify as 'for the purpose of qualifying for a higher rank'. Link here;

Is anyone familiar with that or know where to possibly get that memo?

Thanks

I'm looking into public service reservist leave requests, and let me tell you it is hell. From searching this forum, it looks like someone has a memo stating that courses up until OFP don't qualify as 'for the purpose of qualifying for a higher rank'. Link here;

Is anyone familiar with that or know where to possibly get that memo?

Thanks
I’ve made these requests before. It generally was just an email to my boss about it then the appropriate leave is taken. Career courses if I am not mistaken is without pay. What are you planning on doing military wise?

I don't believe they should be without pay. The guidance is almost intentionally vague and enforced differently depending on who you ask. That forum post indicates that someone has a memo with specific guidance saying that trade qual courses up to OFP should be leave with pay. Is there anyone that received that memo from that user (chauch2001), or might know if there is a repository where something like that might be kept?

I don't believe they should be without pay. The guidance is almost intentionally vague and enforced differently depending on who you ask. That forum post indicates that someone has a memo with specific guidance saying that trade qual courses up to OFP should be leave with pay. Is there anyone that received that memo from that user (chauch2001), or might know if there is a repository where something like that might be kept?
You need to read what is in the collective agreement but any career course is generally leave without pay. Your OFP is a course for your next level up. Don’t go off what people say on a forum. TBS policy and collective agreements are your sources of accurate info.

Again. Appreciate you. But just looking for that memo if anyone has it.

Again. Appreciate you. But just looking for that memo if anyone has it.
I’ve never had to write a memo for mine.

But I see you are looking for something specific. Sorry to,derail.

Military leave for the PS is umm... an unholy mess at the best of times? There can be additional bits of friction ("You were not paid by the military Monday-Friday, so we won't pay you incidentals while on travel status those days") as well.

In theory, there are staff within the "Chief of Reserves and Employer Support" under the VCDS to answer such queries. When engaging with them, YMMV, particularly when dealing with the Federal Public Service as an employer.

And the only link I can find for "If you have additional questions, please contact the Employer Support Liaison Officer in your area." leads to a "Not Found" page.

LWOP is easier - there is firm 2008 direction that such leave "is to be granted" (emphasis in the original) Leave With and Without Pay - Reserve Forces Training and Activities - Canada.ca

In those cases where the employee requests leave without pay for the purpose of taking part in Reserve Forces activities as described in the CLC, which are:

annual training for the prescribed period or, if no period is prescribed, for a period of up to 15 days;

That's a shame. "Muni" PS is two weeks Leave With Pay.

Maybe ask PSAC to try to include it in your next collective agreement

Regulations trump collective agreements.

Thanks. It's a "muni" regulation. Applies to all union and non-union municipal PS employees.

Regardless if they have a collective agreement, or do not have a collective agreement.

OP: Perhaps you may, or may not, wish to consider asking your MP why if the Municipal PS has the LWP Regulation, the Federal PS does not.

"If they have it, why can't we?"

In my dealing with it there was no memo, there was form that the PS initiated and the unit signed off on. At that time mbrs had options - PS pay during the week days for a set period (2 weeks?) and res pay for weekends or just the res pay for the entire period.

Linking the incidentals on a claim to who was paying the mbr is pure crap and should have been redressed. The few times I was involved the members were paid the entire period. TD and wages are 2 separate things.

Sounds familiar. I have the forms for foregoing reserve pay to receive PS pay. I'm looking for PS leave with pay for BMQ/DP1 level courses, and anecdotally have had multiple people tell me they've have it approved, but no one willing to let me use their name or give any evidence of a decision. At the point now of management saying no until shown it's been done before.

Do you have anything that would show it being approved or giving direction on it?

been out a very long time so i am sure the rules have changed.

It use to be the member would not get paid for the Monday to Friday part of their training, as they were drawing a pay cheque from the Civil Servant side of the house, they would get paid weekends and holidays.

Put a memo into your chain of command for approval for the course and pay.
At the same time put in a request to your Civil Servant boss for paid military training leave.
make sure your civilian benefits are also being paid during this time so you do not lose time to pension or family benefit plans

Then when checking into your course, make sure a copy of both memos are included so you are not paid twice
Only paid for the weekends.

Do you have anything to show of someone getting public service leave with pay for a trade training course or below? My PS position are basically saying no at the moment unless I can show something of it happening before.

Back