• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cdn soldiers make fashion statement

Korus

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2004/04/30/442581-cp.html

Cdn soldiers make fashion statement
By STEPHEN THORNE

KABUL (CP) - And what‘s the intrepid Canadian soldier wearing this spring fashion season?

No, it‘s not green, but desert tan spotted with shades of brown pixelated camouflage, matching hat, gloves and Afghan-style scarf. And, for those venturing into the wind and dust of the shifting seasons, goggles. Indeed, it‘s all the rage. In fact, all 2,300 Canadian soldiers deployed on NATO‘s peace-support mission in Afghanistan‘s bustling capital adopted the motif Friday, shedding the relish-green uniforms that distinguished them from other nations‘ brown-clad forces.

Oh, the relish green will still be their preferred evening ensemble but Col. Alain Tremblay, commander of Canada‘s army in Afghanistan and chief fashion consultant, says the desert shade is both safer and more comfortable daywear.

His troops, part of the 34-country International Security Assistance Force, are conducting more foot patrols these days and Tremblay says the tan is more appropriate to the mud-walled alleys and dusty streets they walk.

The lighter shade is also cooler - as in "less warm," although some may contend it‘s snazzier, too - than the dark green, which caused a stir when members of the Fighting Princess Pats arrived in Kandahar wearing it two years ago.

Criticized for their seemingly incongruous choice, the Canadians were actually in step with most Afghan forces at the time.

And as the green faded, it actually proved very effective camouflage in some of Afghanistan‘s mountain regions, such as Tora Bora, where U.S. helicopter pilots reported it worked far better than the American tan.

Members of the Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group continued with the green when they arrived last summer, saying it distinguished them from other troops - particularly the Americans, who are widely disliked in Afghanistan.

But Tremblay says, regardless of the colour of their uniform, the Canadians have now carved their niche among Afghans and, security-wise, the situation has changed drastically since last fall.

"The way the theatre has evolved, potential belligerants are not making that distinction any more," said Tremblay, looking positively dashing in his tan uniform and scarf.

"They are looking at westerners as a group of individuals. So that premise (that Americans are more vulnerable), while it might have been valid a few months ago, is not necessarily a factor any more."

Now, commanders will be given choices of uniforms, depending on their missions and the area and time of day in which they will be operating.

"It‘s a matter of adapting to the environment," said the colonel. "Fluid, from a dress perspective."

Besides, the change in uniform appears to have done wonders for morale.

There were smiles on the faces and noticeable springs in the steps of many Canadian troops on Friday - a jauntiness that broke with the monotonous green strides of days of yore.

Some looked like Smokey the Bear in their floppy hats, many of which were just out of the box and anything but floppy. Hats were uniformly stiff and straight-brimmed, instead of the array of distinguishable shapes they usually adopt depending on the personality or trade of the wearer.

The scarves afforded the 3rd Battalion, Royal 22nd Regiment Battle Group a bit of dash as well as practicality as the hot Afghan summer looms.

"I think getting something new always lifts people‘s spirits," said Capt. Richard Langlois. "It will be noticed by other forces and the local population. People are bound to asked questions.

"We‘ve been talking about it forever, and now we finally get to use it."

The Canadians comprise about 33 per cent of ISAF and patrol by far the largest sector of Kabul, including city streets, village alleyways, mountain passes and desert expanses.

Tremblay has no fears Afghans won‘t recognize their protectors.

"They know our flag and the camouflage pattern is still unique to us," he said. "But, in the end, it is not the colour of your uniform or its pattern that counts, it‘s the one who‘s wearing it that makes the difference."

warclothes1.jpg

Para Cpl. Jean-Sebastien Bouchard, 21, of Deux Montagnes, Que., patrols on a windy day south of Kabul on Friday, April 30, 2002. (CP PHOTO/Stephen Thorne)

I just noticed the date on the picture is 2002... Must be a typo.

Originally posted by The_Falcon:
[qb] Do notice that his C9 has a collapsible butt-stock. [/qb]
And the Barrel‘s different too

that‘s the para version of the C9
didn‘t know we had it, though

I guess this means the next roto to Afghanistan gets desert uniforms too, I hope. A lot of people I know are doing the workup training right now for Op Athena, and with the decreased numbers I don‘t want people thinking we are easy targets with contrasting uniforms during the day. :(

Originally posted by Kirkpatrick:
[qb] I guess this means the next roto to Afghanistan gets desert uniforms too, I hope. A lot of people I know are doing the workup training right now for Op Athena, and with the decreased numbers I don‘t want people thinking we are easy targets with contrasting uniforms during the day. :( [/qb]
What difference would it make with a suicide bomber?

Everyone on Roto 0, Op Athena had desert CADPAT. It‘s not new there. We just never wore it unless the specific task called for it.

Not wearing a hat is a sure way to get a sunburn :)

It‘s good to see the C9 with intelligent modifications.

Originally posted by Scarlino:
[qb] Would it be cos he‘s a paratrooper? [/qb]
No, he must be JTF2 ;)

The arid Cadpat looks very sexy, except for that part that still green on his left shoulder.

Does this mean they will paint the G Wagons tan too?

Hey scm77, reread the tagline for the photo...

Its just a shortened version of a C9, soon to be used by all the Paras. The green patch on his left shoulder is the ISAF brassard. Don‘t forget, ISAF is getting the newest kit (ie. G wagons). Can‘t see a vehicle fleet wide repainting happening over there.

Back