• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadians Losing Freedom of Speech?

M

MAJOR_Baker

Freedom of speech?
Hate speech or?

On April 28, the Canadian Senate dealt a serious blow to free speech and religious freedom. It passed Bill C 250 to amend the criminal code to expand its definition of an â Å“identifiable groupâ ? relating to hate propaganda to include any section of the public distinguished by sexual orientation. The legislation is the work of openly gay Member of Parliament Svend Robinson.

The passage of this bill poses great concern. It restricts free speech and can be used as a tool for religious persecution against those who do not support the homosexual agenda. Gays are pushing to silence those who do not agree with them to the point of severely hindering the right to speak contrary to their social agenda.

It is disconcerting that parts of the Bible, as well as other religious texts and statements, can be labeled â Å“hate propaganda.â ? In addition, portions of the bill do not have the protection of the attorney general, which means that anyone can file a hate crime charge before the courts.

Consequently, ministers who preach in support of traditional marriage between one man and one woman only, and brand same-sex marriage as deviant behavior run the risk of being fined and/or faced with criminal prosecution. A judge could issue a warrant for the seizure of any materials being referenced.

It is important to understand that if it can happen in Canada, it could happen in America.

Although proponents state that the bill protects religious texts, a slippery slope has been created. MP Robinson has stated, â Å“A pastor would not be prosecuted for preaching against homosexuality on the basis of the Bible.â ? He further states â Å“That there are numerous assurances that any such charges would only apply to the most obnoxious or severe critics of homosexual behavior.â ?

However, without these â Å“assurancesâ ? spelled out in the legislation, problems loom. Who makes the determination as to what is obnoxious or severe criticism? Without specificity, it's left up to individual interpretation, and that's where the danger to individual freedom lies.

Similar legislation has been used to limit freedom of speech. According to a press release issued by the Catholic Civil Rights League, â Å“In January of this year a Swedish Pentecostal pastor was prosecuted for 'hate speech against homosexuals' for a sermon he preached last summer citing Biblical references to homosexuality.â ? This possible threat of prosecution is not limited to the clergy; it reaches to the average Canadian citizen.

Picture this: You're sitting in a public restaurant talking to some friends about how marriage should be defined. You say you do not agree with same-sex marriage, that marriage should be between one man and one woman only as God intended. The group at your table chimes in, agreeing with you. The person at the table or booth next to you files a complaint, charging that you were inciting a riot against gays.

Nothing could be further from the truth, but Canadian officials can pick you up, and you will go before the courts to allow them to interpret the intent of your words. For simply exercising your right to freedom of speech and thought, you run the risk of being fined, imprisoned or both under the vague and cloudy definitions found in the proposed legislation. If government can control what we can and cannot say, we've lost all of our liberties.

Why devote so much attention to Bill C 250? Canada is a democracy and member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Who would have thought that free speech restrictions would become a part of their laws? It could happen in America.

Thank God we have the First Amendment that is supposed to guarantee our freedom of speech, freedom of press, and freedom of religion for all Americans and not just some. We must be alert and vigilant, less we wake up one morning and find our endearing freedoms snatched away by those seeking special class protection. We should also be diligent about electing to public office those individuals who embrace freedom for every citizen in a free society

I dont care what bill they pass. I‘ll express any religious beliefs I have against homosexuality, and they can do what they want.

"Gays are pushing to silence those who do not agree with them to the point of severely hindering the right to speak contrary to their social agenda."

Yah...see how far they get with that. Everythings going to **** in a handbasket in my opinion.

That bishop is over-reacting. All Bill C-250 does is afford homosexuals the same protection from discrimination that other minorities have. Nothing more. In many ways, the US already has similar legislation. It just has not been extented to the gay community yet.

who was that guy who was trying to have the bbible classified as hate literature?

There is a clear difference between discrimination and ones own opinion. Why anyone wastes their time trying to appease someones wishes just because they feel they are different is beyond me.

Originally posted by wongskc:
[qb] That bishop is over-reacting. All Bill C-250 does is afford homosexuals the same protection from discrimination that other minorities have. Nothing more. In many ways, the US already has similar legislation. It just has not been extented to the gay community yet. [/qb]
Exactly. This is a very good move in the right direction. I‘m quite happy to see the government taking progressive steps for a change, to guarantee equality for all its citizens.

This will project a good image of Canada to the world. People need to learn that their bigoted ideals cannot be tolerated in a civilized, peaceful country.

I just hope the liberals will stick with it and not backtrack on this decision like they do on every other issue.

You all need to remember that Canada is very open compared to many other countries. Heck in the US George Bush is trying to make same sex marriages illegal.

He is just following what the majority of the people ask for. As for trying to make same sex marriages illegal, it already is, and the majority of people want it to stay that way.

Get a brain. Even if Kerry gets in, he to will do the same. Even the rebel state which passed the law, if the people voted on a referendum on it, it would truly be defeated too.

Originally posted by wongskc:
[qb] That bishop is over-reacting. All Bill C-250 does is afford homosexuals the same protection from discrimination that other minorities have. Nothing more. [/qb]
Gee whiz, then why the heck do I hear way more hate talk about muslims, christians and natives than you ever do about gays? If you hear a Christian preacher saying to hate gays and that they are terrible people, then that preacher is obviously not reading what it says about this in the bible. It does say that homosexuality is wrong but it doesn‘t say to hate the person. It says hate what they do but don‘t hate the person.

Exactly, the bible DOES NOT say to hate gays, but it does not condone it, and expresses Homosexuality as a sin.

Exactly so if the bible, which is the inspired word of God, says that the very act of homosexuality is sin and that the wages of sin is death then legalizing same-sex marriages is stupid!!! Don‘t hate the person, have mercy of them for the love of God but by legalizing same sex marriages is only going to support the very act.

Canadians disdain homophobia, survey finds
The Globe and Mail

Montreal â ” Almost 60 per cent of Canadians surveyed indicated they believe being homophobic is as bad as being racist or anti-Semitic, says a new poll.

The Léger Marketing poll found 5 per cent of respondents indicated they viewed homophobia as worse than racism or anti-Semitism, 58 per cent thought they were comparable, while 24 per cent said homophobia was not as bad. About 14 per cent of respondents said they did not know or refused to answer.

British Columbia, at 65 per cent, had the highest level of respondents who thought being homophobic was as bad as being racist or anti-Semitic.

Alberta, at 47 per cent, had the lowest level.

- - Full Article Here - -

Originally posted by S_Baker:
[qb]

By the way, why were "same sex" marriages not legal in the 17, 18, 19, 0r 20th century in Canada? Descrimination my ***, its stupid! [/qb]
What does that have to do with anything? Legislation which allowed women to vote was only passed during the Great War. This was less than 100 years ago!

I wonder if the writer of that article would feel the same if he had lived at a time where it was socially acceptable to refer passingly to him as a "******" and be opposed to the concept of mixed marriage. One would hope that he‘d be a staunch defender of Jim-Jim and Billy Bob‘s GOD GIVEN RIGHT to free speech.

1052_18.gif

EDIT: Oh, what do you know...according to the site, the n-word is prohibited. Perhaps somebody here can argue that that is a clear violation of free speech.

S_Baker,

It just seemed to me that you meant if it wasn‘t acceptable back then, it shouldn‘t be acceptable now. That‘s why I brought up women‘s suffrage. Past customs shouldn‘t be the deciding factor in our future debates. If so women wouldn‘t be voting today. As far as I understand it their have already been gay marriages and my life hasn‘t taken a turn for the worse. In fact I don‘t even think about it. Of course our courts are based in Judeo-Christian ideology however denying a human right because of sexual orientation is discrimination. If you don‘t like people because of who they are attracted to, fine. That‘s your prerogative. People will demand equal rights and will not stop until they get it. Just look at your countries civil rights movement in the 60‘s. Maybe people are afraid if gay marriages become legal, their lives will somehow become less rightious or moral. If that‘s the case then they only have themselves to blame. Traditionaly though, marriage was more of a business venture than a committment of love.

This only reinforces the social acceptance of homosexuality by a noisy minority of citizens to an already confused and super horny legion of young teens who just might be swayed to lean thet way.
If you don‘t mind the possibility of your son or daughter coming home some day with a same sex partner than go ahead and support the bill.
I‘m not saying they‘ll stay that way after they get their **** together but until then they don‘t need any misguided messages from the noisy minority.
What do the people really want if they aren‘t afraid to say it? Passing a bill like this forces you and I to suppress those opinions and before you know it will have George Bush‘s army jumping into Canada to liberate us from the evildoer‘s on Parliament Hill.

How can a teen be confused about their sexuality...? Even in kindergarden, before I even knew how to have sex, I knew I liked girls.

I had some ideas about sex, but...there were metal parts involved, and something about robots...

Would I want my son/daughter to be gay? No. Absolutely not. There‘s no biological point to it. But I‘d like to think the reasons for that are my own, and not based on a fear that they would be considered by the government and the people to be the embodiment of sin.

Rick, it‘s already illegal in Canada to make hateful statements about racial and ethnic groups. Would you consider "supprsing" THOSE opinions to be a bad thing? If people deserve to be protected from hatefull statements based on their religion, race, or culture, then they also deserve to be protected from hateful statments based on their sexual orientation. Either we expand the bill to cover homosexuals as well, or we scrap it altogether. Otherwise the bill itself is discriminatory.

As to gay marriage encouraging children or teens to become gay, that‘s pretty unlikely. Mixed racial marriages have been legal for a long time, but it‘s still fairly rare to see white marrying blacks. Just because something becomes socialy acceptable does not mean everyone will suddenly want to do it. If you‘re really worried about your children turning gay, you can always go the bible-thumper route and brainwash them into beleiving that homosexuality is a sin. If I were you though, I‘d be more concerned about what your teenage daughter may be doing with members of the opposite sex rather than the same sex. I‘ve known numerous females who‘ve lost their virginity to two mmen at the same time, and then proceeded to have sex with anything with a penis and a pulse for the next several years. Teaching children (both male and female) that excessive sex with multiple partners is wrong would be a lot more productive than trying to make them beleive that their attraction to members of the same sex is "wrong".

Originally posted by 48Highlander:
[qb] If you‘re really worried about your children turning gay, you can always go the bible-thumper route and brainwash them into beleiving that homosexuality is a sin. [/qb]
What the heck? The biblethumber route? And what would that be exactly? Right here is an example of a double standard. You can go and say whatever the heck you want about christians, jews, etc because they have different morals than you do but they can‘t teach in a place of worship that homosexuality is wrong?

"I,ve known SEVERAL females who lost their virginity to two men at the same time"
My BS detector is rising unless your the militia‘s answer to Dr. Phil.

Back