• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Troops Surround Taliban

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
NATO forces have trapped up to 900 taliban. This is a team effort with British, Canadian and US troops involved in the operation. The taliban have two choices to either fight or die, I suspect it will be the latter.Good luck and good hunting !!

http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=ce19040c-55c8-4c38-8351-36d115ecca48

Hm... A Christmas battle, anyone? Here's the bit that frightens me-

The rockets came from a compound one kilometre away, where up to 35 Taliban remain huddled, using women and children as human shields.

This could get bad...

Best of luck to our boys. Give 'em Hell.

The Taliban could always give up (at least some of them - if the hardcore types continue with knee-capping and beheading "volunteers", as well as taking hostages, then I don't think they will be maintaining the loyalty of the "volunteers" for very long).

As to the 35 trapped in a compound with hostages - NATO can always wait them out.  That is one of the advantages of Armour.  They can SLOWLY close with the enemy and NOT destroy it.  They can just sit there with a very low level of vulnerability, out of reach of the folks on the inside but with the folks on the inside still within reach of the tanks.

If they are trapped in isolated pockets, and the rest of the community can go about its business then it seems to me that NATO wins.

Visions of a Blackhat in his armoured fort staring down from his hatch with the 105 pointed at a couple of lowly mujahideen: "Are you ready to take your F*****G Blankets now?"

I kind of wondered from the beginning if they weren't trying to box the Taliban in.  It seemed strange that the British would cross from Halmand a couple of days before the big announcement of a new operation and then all the noise they made about what they were doing.  Trying to get them to retreat right into the waiting NATO forces on the other side.

Keeping my fingers crossed but the tanks do make this a different battle than last time.

Kirkhill said:
Visions of a Blackhat in his armoured fort staring down from his hatch with the 105 pointed at a couple of lowly mujahideen: "Are you ready to take your F*****G Blankets now?"

Point of note....the Taliban and the Mujahideen are totally different.

Most of the Muji went into the Northern Alliance and are now apart of the ANA/ ANP.    ;)

Mind you I'd hate to be in their sandles right now....hearing the Leos, but not knowing from what direction they are coming from, feeling the earth shake.

Yep....some brave warriors cowering behind women and childeren.

Regards

Good hunting  and a safe return  for the  troops

Recce By Death said:
Mind you I'd hate to be in their sandles right now....hearing the Leos, but not knowing from what direction they are coming from, feeling the earth shake.

I've been in their shoes, so to speak, but only on exercise, in Canada, using blanks.  Still, the anticipation was mind numbing.  At first, you think that the tanks are minutes away.  The minutes turn to hours.  Man, its eerie.

Being on the other side, riding with them, well, behind the tanks, in M113s (days of old), that is just f'ing incredible.

Best of luck to our warriors, who stand facing the enemy on this holiday weekend.  God speed!

:salute:

Best of luck to the troops, may you stay safe and happy hunting :salute:

When the time is right, no quarter drawn or given.

Wear 'em down Canucks!

They'll cave like a cheap house of cards.

Cheers,

Wes

Give 'em a nice Christmas present of hot lead, they'll be wishing for a lump of coal after that

edit: clarify

A Sgt I once knew had a great saying for moments like this;

"It's a good day for a fire mission"

Good luck.

Recce By Death said:
Point of note....the Taliban and the Mujahideen are totally different.

Most of the Muji went into the Northern Alliance and are now apart of the ANA/ ANP.     ;)

Thanks for the correction.

Agree with you on the "brave warriors'.  Hope the guys all stay safe.

If they try and wait for the taliban to starve or something, wouldn't the hostages die first because they probably wouldn't feed them?  Wouldn't that be the same as bombing them along with the hostages?  ???

Adrian_888 said:
If they try and wait for the taliban to starve or something, wouldn't the hostages die first because they probably wouldn't feed them?  Wouldn't that be the same as bombing them along with the hostages?   ???

I very much doubt that they would wait for the Taliban to starve to death. That would take months because you are forgetting that they are in farmlands right now and have food and water. Also .. it would be far far different from bombing the Taliban with human shields.

tomahawk6 said:
The taliban have two choices to either fight or diehttp://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=ce19040c-55c8-4c38-8351-36d115ecca48
I may be a touch naive but I had a choice between fighting and Dieing I'd go for the former. I assume you meant surrender or die, which leads me to the next gem of hyperbole

Wesley (Over There) said:
When the time is right, no quarter drawn or given.
Really????

To the troops - Good luck and Keep safe

Back