• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Special Operations Force Command (CANSOFCOM)

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
More from the CDS's SITREP No. 3:

On 1 Feb 06, CANSOFCOM HQ will stand-up and JTF 2 and the JNBCD Coy will be transferred from DCDS to CANSOFCOM.  On the same date, 427 Sqn in Petawawa will be designated 427 Special Operations Aviation (SOA) Sqn, OPCOM to CANSOFCOM.  In addition, the interim capability of the Canadian Special Operations Regiment will be established in Petawawa in early 06 and the screening and initial training of its first company group will be completed by Aug 06, when the unit strength will reach approximately 250 personnel at IOC.  While CLS will give this unit a 'kick-start' by providing a formed company group for the training, this joint special operations unit will be recruited from across the regular and reserve components of the CF.  I consider it essential that we quickly establish these new capabilities to learn the lessons and gain the insights that will shape the future expansion of these CF assets;

Haggis said:
More from the CDS's SITREP No. 3:

On 1 Feb 06, CANSOFCOM HQ will stand-up and JTF 2 and the JNBCD Coy will be transferred from DCDS to CANSOFCOM.  On the same date, 427 Sqn in Petawawa will be designated 427 Special Operations Aviation (SOA) Sqn, OPCOM to CANSOFCOM.  In addition, the interim capability of the Canadian Special Operations Regiment will be established in Petawawa in early 06 and the screening and initial training of its first company group will be completed by Aug 06, when the unit strength will reach approximately 250 personnel at IOC.  While CLS will give this unit a 'kick-start' by providing a formed company group for the training, this joint special operations unit will be recruited from across the regular and reserve components of the CF.  I consider it essential that we quickly establish these new capabilities to learn the lessons and gain the insights that will shape the future expansion of these CF assets;

good info, does anyone know if there will be any specific comm unit attached to CANSOFCOM, or CSOR in particular?   

Just wondering about something I saw (from a slideshow on the DIN I think or on the CDS website about CF Transformation) a while back from when this entire concept first came up. I remember reading about something called the "Special Operations Group" or SOG which will contain JTF2, JATF now CSOR, J NBCD Coy, Special Operations Aviation Squadron, a new SOF training unit, and new facilities. Pretty sure this was mentioned before (I forgot) but is CANSOFCOM the new name for SOG or is CANSOFCOM the overall command which will oversee SOG which in turn contains all these different units? Also anybody know anything about this new SOF training unit or about the new facilities (if it's safe to say with regards to OPSEC)?

George Wallace said:
Kev T

You haven't read all 17 pages of this thread, have you?

Most of it. Just that, like you said, it's 17 pages - kinda long - figured I could just get a simple answer. But I guess I'll just go back through the forum and see what I can find.  

Kev T said:
Most of it. Just that, like you said, it's 17 pages - kinda long - figured I could just get a simple answer. 

You did, it was "Please read the thread."

Michael Dorosh said:
Incidentally, what colour hat are you wearing right now? 

Midnight blue wedge, red piping, regimental buttons, embroidered badge.

short final said:
For the guy who mentioned SOG - SOG is CANSOFCOM - the reason for the change was, and I'm being totally serious, the french translation for SOG - which is GOS - which is french for testicles.
This came straight from CO of CANSOFCOM during a brief on Wednesday.

Thanks a lot for the answer and the information; interesting - and good - as to why the name was changed.

The official Canadian Special Operations Forces Command webpage is up - http://www.cansofcom.forces.gc.ca/en/index_e.asp

I thought about starting a new thread, but upon finding this topic I thought I'd ask my question here:

I was hoping someone could tell me what it's like working for CANSOFCOM. More specifically as Support staff. What do they do in Garrison and can they go on deployment?

However, it would be cool to know more about the Assaulters, but I don't expect any answers about the Assaulter trade because of the secrecy, but it's worth a shot anyway.

I've been looking for testimonials about CANSOFCOM, but I can't seem to find anything. I noticed that the Army.ca staff are current/former Canadian soldiers: Did you guys have an opportunity to work there or did you know anyone who has?

Thanks

jaysfan17 said:
I've been looking for testimonials about CANSOFCOM, but I can't seem to find anything.

Some here,

CANSOFCOM
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?board=73.0

jaysfan17 said:
I thought about starting a new thread, but upon finding this topic I thought I'd ask my question here:

I was hoping someone could tell me what it's like working for CANSOFCOM. More specifically as Support staff. What do they do in Garrison and can they go on deployment?

However, it would be cool to know more about the Assaulters, but I don't expect any answers about the Assaulter trade because of the secrecy, but it's worth a shot anyway.

I've been looking for testimonials about CANSOFCOM, but I can't seem to find anything. I noticed that the Army.ca staff are current/former Canadian soldiers: Did you guys have an opportunity to work there or did you know anyone who has?

Thanks

There is a quote from  Lao Tzu that you should know (or learn):

"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know."

mariomike said:
Some here,

CANSOFCOM
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?board=73.0

Thanks mariomike, I'll check these out. :)

George Wallace said:
There is a quote from  Lao Tzu that you should know (or learn):

"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know."

It was worth a shot though.

It's similar to that saying "First rule of fight club, don't talk about fight club" (I hope that's how it goes).

Thanks anyway for the reply George Wallace.  :cheers:

jaysfan17 said:

Thanks

Fact is, you're not even in yet, and no one who works there is going to go out of their way to put reveal what day-to-day life is in any of the CANSOFCOM units other than what is already available.

Focus on getting your foot in the door, and then worry about where to go from there. Once you're in, if you're still interested in CANSOFCOM, hit up the recruiting cell or go to one of the frequent recruiting drives.

Beadwindow 7 said:
Fact is, you're not even in yet, and no one who works there is going to go out of their way to put reveal what day-to-day life is in any of the CANSOFCOM units other than what is already available.

Focus on getting your foot in the door, and then worry about where to go from there. Once you're in, if you're still interested in CANSOFCOM, hit up the recruiting cell or go to one of the frequent recruiting drives.

I'm not considering a career with CANSOFCOM, I'm just looking for info about it, that's all. :salute:

jaysfan17 said:
I'm not considering a career with CANSOFCOM, I'm just looking for info about it, that's all. :salute:

In that case, google search is about all you'll get.

Back