• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian in the US Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bike to Live

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering how a Canadian citizen can join the US Navy.

I know one member on here served in 'nam in the US Infantry.

Thank you.

Only way for a Canadian citizen to join the US Military is to have an immediate family member who is an American citizen sponser you for your green card.  The US Military can not help you with getting the green card. After serving so long in the US Military as a green card holder you can get fast tracked to US citizenship, only way that the US Military helps with immigration that I am aware of.

Green Card is the minimum required for joining the US Military, with limited trade choices as you will not be able to have a secruity clearance(need to be US citizen for that). 

Exception - If you are Native, you are eligible to join the US Military. Also if you have a certain skill they are looking for ie Medical or languages they will enlist you through a certain program - I know the US Army offers it, not sure if the other branches do as well.

Reason why Canadians were able to join easily in the 1960s was because the US Military sponsored green cards to people wanting to enlist, it's how my father was able to join as a Canadian citizen into the US Army in 1967. I think that program ended around '68 or '69.

So, unless you are Native or eligible to get sponsored through family or have the skills the US Military is looking for in the Medical and Language fields AFAIK you are Sh*t Outta Luck

-Skeletor- said:
Only way for a Canadian citizen to join the US Military is to have an immediate family member who is an American citizen sponsor you for your green card.  The US Military can not help you with getting the green card.

Green Card is the minimum required for joining the US Military, with limited trade choices as you will not be able to have a security clearance(need to be US citizen for that). 

OK, I expect to become a US citizen anyway, as it would make serving easier. I also heard the US Military shortens the time you have to wait for a citizen ship, is that true?]

Exception - If you are native, you are eligible to join the US Military.

Do you know if there is a minimum percent of native blood?

Also if you have a certain skill they are looking for IE Medical or languages they will enlist you through a certain program - I know the US Army offers it, not sure if the other branches do as well.

Cool, I am still in high school, so after hearing that; I am thinking of learing Arabic or someother language relating to our middle eastern conflict so I can join under this program.

Incase anyone is wondering, I plan to join the US Military instead of Canada becasue theirs is much larger and not underfunded.
Also you get to choose your specific job. Not to mention, you get stationed in places like Hawaii and Virginia Beach, Florida etc. Instead of Colder places.

You must be living (legally) in the United States to be accepted to the military if you are a foreign national.

http://www.navy.com/joining.html

Check there - it should help.  BTW, you don't always get to choose your specific job - if you don't have the aptitude for it, you don't get it.  There's also that needs of the service thing they have much like we do. 

MM

Bike to Live said:
Incase anyone is wondering, I plan to join the US Military instead of Canada becasue theirs is much larger and not underfunded.
Also you get to choose your specific job. Not to mention, you get stationed in places like Hawaii and Virginia Beach, Florida etc. Instead of Colder places.

Now I am confused. In your original post you made it very clear that you didn't want anyone to ask why you wanted to join the U.S military rather than Canadian... Then you make a post about why you want to join the U.S military rather than the CF.
???

uncle-midget-Oddball said:
Now I am confused. In your original post you made it very clear that you didn't want anyone to ask why you wanted to join the U.S military rather than Canadian... Then you make a post about why you want to join the U.S military rather than the CF.
???

That is because I expected some people to consider me rude and un-patriotic. But, so far everyone has been very help full.

uncle-midget-Oddball said:
You must be living (legally) in the United States to be accepted to the military if you are a foreign national.

Does that mean any type of visa, or greencard only?

You must hold a I-551 Green Card or be a US Citizen to join, Visas do not work.

As for percentage of native blood.. AFAIK you must be a registured native in order for it to work.

Also, in the Canadian Forces you get to pick the trade you want as long as you meet the pre reqs for it..

Reply #2:
"Exception - If you are native, you are eligible to join the US Military."
"Do you know if there is a minimum percent of native blood?"

This may help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_identity_in_the_United_States

medicineman said:
http://www.navy.com/joining.html

Check there - it should help.

Thanks, I have been on that site for the last 4 hours, dreaming those pictures will some day be me.

BTW, you don't always get to choose your specific job - if you don't have the aptitude for it, you don't get it.  There's also that needs of the service thing they have much like we do. 

Yes I realize this, but I am trying to make the point that because their service is larger, you have more options.

MM

mariomike said:
Reply #2 on: Today at 18:13:01
"Exception - If you are native, you are eligible to join the US Military."
"Do you know if there is a minimum percent of native blood?"

This may help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_identity_in_the_United_States#Self-identification

Thanks, and also, -Skeletor-, mariomike, and medicineman. I rated all of your posts as helpfull.

Just to give a little more insight..

When I was 18 I wanted to join the Marines, my mom is a U.S. citizen and I filed for a greencard.  The red tape is long and thick, the waiting times are very long, and keep in mind the sponsor must live in the United States while they are sponsoring you for a greencard.  It turned out I was a U.S. citizen because my mom lived there for over 10 years. Then another expensive process began to prove the time she spent living there, I still need an immigration lawyer to finish the process but I'm not even thinking about paying the lawyer costs or moving there until I'm done university.  Comparing the cost of university here in Canada versus the U.S. and how little the Marine Corps reserve pays compared the Canadian Army reserve I made the right choice going to school here.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but as someone who is familiar with the process, I can assure you that there is NO WAY you can join the U.S. military, period.  It doesn't sound like your parents are U.S. citizens either, so you can forget about a family sponsored greencard, or any other type of greencard.  I'm not trying to force you to join the CF I agree it's not for everyone and may not be what you are looking for, but you need to find something else to do with your life, trust me, don't waste another day thinking this is a realistic option. 

If you have any more questions, you can private message me.  It's better you find out this is impossible now before you put your life on hold on or embarass yourself telling everyone you are going to join.

-Steve

Steve1987 said:
Just to give a little more insight..

When I was 18 I wanted to join the Marines, my mom is a U.S. citizen and I filed for a greencard.  The red tape is long and thick, the waiting times are very long, and keep in mind the sponsor must live in the United States while they are sponsoring you for a greencard.  It turned out I was a U.S. citizen because my mom lived there for over 10 years. Then another expensive process began to prove the time she spent living there, I still need an immigration lawyer to finish the process but I'm not even thinking about paying the lawyer costs or moving there until I'm done university.  Comparing the cost of university here in Canada versus the U.S. and how little the Marine Corps reserve pays compared the Canadian Army reserve I made the right choice going to school here.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but as someone who is familiar with the process, I can assure you that there is NO WAY you can join the U.S. military, period.  It doesn't sound like your parents are U.S. citizens either, so you can forget about a family sponsored greencard, or any other type of greencard.  I'm not trying to force you to join the CF I agree it's not for everyone and may not be what you are looking for, but you need to find something else to do with your life, trust me, don't waste another day thinking this is a realistic option. 

If you have any more questions, you can private message me.  It's better you find out this is impossible now before you put your life on hold on or embarass yourself telling everyone you are going to join.

-Steve

Writing PM now... Thanks

Bike to Live said:
Hi, I was wondering how a Canadian citizen can join the US Navy.

I know one member on here served in 'nam in the US Infantry.

Thank you.

You haven't seen their barracks, food, toilets, pay, disciplinary systems, red tape etc etc etc have you? The grass is always greener... until you have to submit to a body cavity search or eat  black eyed peas, grits and hominey (oops, just threw up in my mouth a little).

To get an idea of what I'm talking about, watch 'Full Metal Jacket' or 'Tiger Land', then subtract all the luxury accommodation, intellectually stimulating dialog, and overt concerns for the personal welfare of the troops. Uh huh....  :nod:

daftandbarmy said:
To get an idea of what I'm talking about, watch 'Full Metal Jacket' or 'Tiger Land', then subtract all the luxury accommodation, intellectually stimulating dialog, and overt concerns for the personal welfare of the troops. Uh huh....  :nod:

I was thinking of "Top Gun", or "JAG".  :)
"Simulating Shipboard Life at Home":
http://www.swordsmen.org/navylife.htm

"This guide was designed to assist those who would like to, but haven't had the opportunity or privilege to enjoy an extended period of time aboard a US Naval vessel."

daftandbarmy said:
You haven't seen their barracks, food, toilets, pay, disciplinary systems, red tape etc etc etc have you? The grass is always greener... until you have to submit to a body cavity search or eat  black eyed peas, grits and hominey (oops, just threw up in my mouth a little).

Movies have nothing to do with my reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back