• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

All that money going to babysitting sure could have fixed a lot of military capability gaps, but alas this is Canada.
It is Canada and I don't think a single party was suggesting tossing an extra 5 billion a year at the military at the expense of Canadian families.

Tossing money at the military is bad economics anyways, there are much more economic benefits to childcare.

For the record, I'm calling my shot now, Pharmacare will be rolled out just before the next election and the CPC candidate will oppose it.

I guess JT is glad that most urban Canadians don't understand that someone ends up paying for that...

Nothing is free - it either comes back in your tax burden or that of your children or great grandchildren.
Not to worry, KevinB.

Trudeau “took on debt, so we don’t have to.”

It is Canada and I don't think a single party was suggesting tossing an extra 5 billion a year at the military at the expense of Canadian families.

Tossing money at the military is bad economics anyways, there are much more economic benefits to childcare.
Yes having stuff made, that builds infrastructure and makes more jobs is terrible than a handout.

People like you make me so happy to be an American now.

Yes having stuff made, that builds infrastructure and makes more jobs is terrible than a handout.
A lot of the equipment is bought from outside the country, stuff bought inside the country is overpriced and plagued by delays, and as for infrastructure, it is spent not spent on stuff that grows the economy like roads, bridges, airports, ports, its spent on buildings and facilities and research for military means.

I love the military, but lets not pretend its not a money sink.
People like you make me so happy to be an American now.
Enjoy Biden I suppose.

I cry.

Legitimately does anyone not have a problem with how he says that...
The cognitively deficient don’t….he looked pretty when he said it, so no synapses fired to think critically. Just the dopamine rush of seeing handsome vacuousness…

Just like the number of applicants, every aspect of CERB is unprecedented: from the number of families it has helped; to the amount of money involved; to the speed with which it was implemented by Canada’s public service.

Also unprecedented is the level of public approval CERB has enjoyed.

A strong majority (86 per cent) agrees CERB has done a good job of preventing financial disaster for many Canadians. We don’t often see Canadians agreeing like this to anything their governments do.

I don't have any issue with the government helping during times like this -- but I absolutely am disgusted with his way of delivery -- he doesn't even acknowledge kicking the can down the road.
The problem if one isn't upfront with it -- people start to believe it is "free money" (lets face it most people are incredibly stupid) - and it just becomes another item pushed to a later date with no plan to deal with it.

I can even understand Child Care etc plans -- but for the love of god, the Politician's should at least have a plan to not sink the country in debt.
Do people understand that the Mint just can't print money to get back on track anymore?

A lot of the equipment is bought from outside the country, stuff bought inside the country is overpriced and plagued by delays, and as for infrastructure, it is spent not spent on stuff that grows the economy like roads, bridges, airports, ports, its spent on buildings and facilities and research for military means.

I love the military, but lets not pretend its not a money sink.
It really doesn't need to be --a lot of material can be manufactured in Canada -- especially with a well thought procurement plan - and pre-planning for requirements. As well joining Allied co-operative development helps spread costs, lowers costs, and gives a lot of national spin offs.

Of course that only works if you are playing well with others, and have a plan -- for which I give most CDN Governments since Mulroney an F (and while the White Paper his Gov did was a B, the execution was an F)

Enjoy Biden I suppose.
No enjoyment here on that - I'm not sure which one I loathe more - but at least here, no one is seizing my guns...
Good old JB keeps sending me checks (or cheques to y'all ;) ) - they are paying people in advantage child tax credits -- (I just destroy them) - what a lot of Americans don't seem to understand is that money isn't free - it still needs to be accounted for - and it reduces the child tax credits you get when it comes to factoring in your income tax.

I don't have any issue with the government helping during times like this -- but I absolutely am disgusted with his way of delivery -- he doesn't even acknowledge kicking the can down the road.
The problem if one isn't upfront with it -- people start to believe it is "free money" (lets face it most people are incredibly stupid) - and it just becomes another item pushed to a later date with no plan to deal with it.
When people are stuck at home, unable to work, with bills pilling up and fridge getting empty, I don't think many care much how Trudeau said it, just so long as he did it. And CERB was done as of december 2nd 2020, replaced by various unemployment programs. It was also clawed back if people made more than 35k in that fiscal year. So while free money it didn't last forever.
I can even understand Child Care etc plans
This is good.
-- but for the love of god, the Politician's should at least have a plan to not sink the country in debt.
Do people understand that the Mint just can't print money to get back on track anymore?
When was the last time the USA posted a surplus?

Not to make this a American Politics thread, but it has been decades since the last budgetary surplus in the USA. Same goes for most of the G7. So with that out of the way, I think we can all agree its not the that a country plans to add debt, because all tend to, but how much debt. If you wanted to have a discussion on that front I would indulge you, but this "DEBT BAAAAD" talk is rather lacking in substance.
It really doesn't need to be --a lot of material can be manufactured in Canada -- especially with a well thought procurement plan - and pre-planning for requirements. As well joining Allied co-operative development helps spread costs, lowers costs, and gives a lot of national spin offs.
The LAV is manufactured in Canada. What else is? Ships? We saw how that went.

As for a procurement plan, this is Canada. Come on.

As for joining Allied Co-Operatives, how much spin off would come back to Canada after taking this childcare money and tossing it at the military?

You must admit, spending 30 billion over 5 years, all of it in Canada, all of it freeing up parents to work and increasing both fertility rates and workplace participation is likely to have a much more direct economic impact that tossing that money at the military which may or may not see some of it come back, and that's if procurement doesn't go off the rails.
Of course that only works if you are playing well with others, and have a plan -- for which I give most CDN Governments since Mulroney an F (and while the White Paper his Gov did was a B, the execution was an F)
Meh.
No enjoyment here on that - I'm not sure which one I loathe more - but at least here, no one is seizing my guns...
True. If that is a priority I imagine that the USA is much better.

Most urban canadians do not place guns high on their list of priorities.

nathan fillion castle GIF

Well, I guess its imperative that the NDP or CPC provide a credible alternative then.

The CPC is credible, but it doesn't promise as much for nothing as the LPC or NDP. The bill will come, and the working middle class will have to pay it, whether it realizes it or not. I wish them luck.

Most urban canadians do not place guns high on their list of priorities.
No one does till they need them...
When people are stuck at home, unable to work, with bills pilling up and fridge getting empty, I don't think many care much how Trudeau said it, just so long as he did it. And CERB was done as of december 2nd 2020, replaced by various unemployment programs. It was also clawed back if people made more than 35k in that fiscal year. So while free money it didn't last forever.
35k isn't a lot - even DJT let folks make a slew more than that for the Stimulus checks down here.

This is good.

When was the last time the USA posted a surplus?

Not to make this a American Politics thread, but it has been decades since the last budgetary surplus in the USA. Same goes for most of the G7. So with that out of the way, I think we can all agree its not the that a country plans to add debt, because all tend to, but how much debt. If you wanted to have a discussion on that front I would indulge you, but this "DEBT BAAAAD" talk is rather lacking in substance.
Debt is bad, the problem is it seems to be accepted these days that we can just keep writing checks we can't cash - running a deficit at times can be fine - but at the end of the day someone is going to come calling that loan if you keep borrowing against your good looks, and then you get old...

The LAV is manufactured in Canada. What else is? Ships? We saw how that went.

As for a procurement plan, this is Canada. Come on.
That is the problem - the LAV hull is - but the major (re expensive and critical) aspects of it are not.
Ships - well you can't let something rest then expect it to perform -- the repeated cancellation of programs led to that.
EH-101, Canada dropped out of that - didn't get any of the pie, and paid more for a less capable version.

Canada hasn't been investing in itself in that manner for a long long long time -- IIRC the CF-104 was the last fighter made in Canada (and while a US design - it was sold to allies by Canada - and made in Canada).

As for joining Allied Co-Operatives, how much spin off would come back to Canada after taking this childcare money and tossing it at the military?

You must admit, spending 30 billion over 5 years, all of it in Canada, all of it freeing up parents to work and increasing both fertility rates and workplace participation is likely to have a much more direct economic impact that tossing that money at the military which may or may not see some of it come back, and that's if procurement doesn't go off the rails.

That is the rub - there is no long term plan - if you started today it would be 30 B down the toilet.

But having a legitimate NON Partisan look at Canadas Defence needs - and planning it out so in 15-20 years there is something, cause right now I suspect the replacement Naval Sustainment Ships will arrive to service the sunken hulls of the CCF and Victoria class SSK's

Canada borders three oceans - and has less to put to sea than the US Coast Guard...

Childcare may sit better for those happy to stick their heads in the sand, but their should be teaching their children Mandarin...

No EXCUSE for giving Trudeau another mandate when the man is totally bankrupt.

There's always an excuse. Guns on the streets, imminent theocracy, whatever the flavour of the day is.

No one does till they need them...
We also do not the history of armed revolution here. I think Quebec tried once for a few months and it ended poorly. So there is really little "need" for them here like people think in the USA.
35k isn't a lot - even DJT let folks make a slew more than that for the Stimulus checks down here.
I thought you were complaining about the costs?
Debt is bad, the problem is it seems to be accepted these days that we can just keep writing checks we can't cash - running a deficit at times can be fine - but at the end of the day someone is going to come calling that loan if you keep borrowing against your good looks, and then you get old...
If the economy grows it lessens the impact of the debt. Which is what Trudeau was trying to say when he said the debt will take care of itself, but of course memes are much easier to do than talk about monetary policy.
That is the problem - the LAV hull is - but the major (re expensive and critical) aspects of it are not.
Ships - well you can't let something rest then expect it to perform -- the repeated cancellation of programs led to that.
EH-101, Canada dropped out of that - didn't get any of the pie, and paid more for a less capable version.
Exactly my point. So we could throw 30 billion over 5 years to jump start a nascent domestic arms industry or actually get some use out of that money. Again, I love the military, being in it, but as currently organized in Canada, its a money sink.
Canada hasn't been investing in itself in that manner for a long long long time -- IIRC the CF-104 was the last fighter made in Canada (and while a US design - it was sold to allies by Canada - and made in Canada).
Lets just admit that 30 billion over 5 years will not do anything in this regard.
That is the rub - there is no long term plan - if you started today it would be 30 B down the toilet.
Its being planned by the provinces. Its funded by the feds. Is that not the best plan?
But having a legitimate NON Partisan look at Canadas Defence needs - and planning it out so in 15-20 years there is something, cause right now I suspect the replacement Naval Sustainment Ships will arrive to service the sunken hulls of the CCF and Victoria class SSK's
Good luck with that.
Canada borders three oceans - and has less to put to sea than the US Coast Guard...
Who is encroaching on Canadians waters that our current navy cannot deal with?
Childcare may sit better for those happy to stick their heads in the sand, but their should be teaching their children Mandarin...
I think America would have something to say about that which is why most Canadians are not overly concerned about it.

By Seat - but near mirror in the percentage of the popular vote...
Yes, a overwhelming amount of Saskbertans think the CPC are viable, but more Canadians from all regions think that the CPC are not viable, especially in urban Canada.

Back