• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's tanks

The US State Department today approved Romania to buy 54 M1A2 SEPv3 Abrams Main Battle Tanks, with a potential price tag of $2.53 billion.

The potential sale was announced on the website of the Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA). Announcements made by DSCA are not final, as Congress can still weigh in and oppose the sale, though that is almost certainly not going to happen with three NATO nations. Importantly, final quantities and dollar totals can shift during negotiations.

The agreement would cover the 54 tanks, as well as four M88A2 HERCULES Combat Recovery Vehicles, four M1110 Joint Assault Bridges and a whole host of other support equipment — including 5,940 120mm M1147 High Explosive, Multipurpose, Tracer (HEMP-T) cartridges and 4,230 120mm M1002 Target Practice Multipurpose, Tracer (TPMP-T) cartridges.

54 MBTs
4 ARVs
4 AVLBs

110 HEMP-T rounds per MBT and 78 training rounds per tank.

Three comments

1 - a lot of money for a small capability
2 - a bit less than two reloads for each tank (42 in the primary load, 42 and 26 in the reloads)
3 - again the Europeans emphasize water crossing ability in their purchases - amphibious vehicles where practical and bridges where necessary.

Final comment

54 tanks divided by 4 ARVs and 4 AVLBs yields a regiment of four squadrons of 13 MBTs, each with an ARV and an AVLB, and a command section of 2 MBTs.

I seem recall when under PM Mulroney during the 80's we had planned to purchase 300 M1A1s .
Think had barely dried when we cancelled.
I think the purchase price at the time was under billion dollars.talk about inflation.

hmmm

$3.37 B for 180 K2 to Poland = $19M each
or $2.53 B for 66 M1 to Romania = $38M each

I like the idea of commonality with the US but I dont know if I like it that much

hmmm

$3.37 B for 180 K2 to Poland = $19M each
or $2.53 B for 66 M1 to Romania = $38M each

I like the idea of commonality with the US but I dont know if I like it that much
Really depends on the terms of the contract, were they both just for bare tanks and no service support and parts? I would like to see NATO adopt a standardized way of reporting defence contracts, so citizens of NATO countries can make proper comparisons. Even if the contracts vary country to country. How the costing is reported would remain the same.

Really depends on the terms of the contract, were they both just for bare tanks and no service support and parts? I would like to see NATO adopt a standardized way of reporting defence contracts, so citizens of NATO countries can make proper comparisons. Even if the contracts vary country to country. How the costing is reported would remain the same.
Havent seen what Poland got from Korea but there is this breakdown on the Romanian

54 tanks divided by 4 ARVs and 4 AVLBs yields a regiment of four squadrons of 13 MBTs, each with an ARV and an AVLB, and a command section of 2 MBTs.
Or three companies of 14 each plus a command element plus a training/spares establishment.

🍻

Or three companies of 14 each plus a command element plus a training/spares establishment.

🍻
And how are we organized in theory and/or practice?

We had 82 tanks and 18 AEV and 12 ARV with 40 assigned to training before the Ukraine donations but are shipping 15 out to Latvia?

And how are we organized in theory and/or practice?

We had 82 tanks and 18 AEV and 12 ARV with 40 assigned to training before the Ukraine donations but are shipping 15 out to Latvia?
I think we're still on the CFP 305-1 doctrinal organization of four tank squadrons of 19 tanks each and two command tanks (for 78 total). My recollection was that in practical terms the RCD in Germany were provided with 59 tanks - sufficient for three 19-tank squadrons and 2 command tanks but that only two squadrons were fully manned. (Something like 1 RCHA which had 24 M109s but only manned 3 six-gun batteries for 18 with the other six for flyover reinforcement.)

Where we stand today I have no real idea but I think two squadrons with the LdSH and another squadron split amongst the other two regiments for training and a 14 (maybe 15) tank squadron in Latvia now with some odds and sods at the school.

@TangoTwoBravo would know this much better than I.

🍻

54 MBTs
4 ARVs
4 AVLBs

110 HEMP-T rounds per MBT and 78 training rounds per tank.

Three comments

1 - a lot of money for a small capability
2 - a bit less than two reloads for each tank (42 in the primary load, 42 and 26 in the reloads)
3 - again the Europeans emphasize water crossing ability in their purchases - amphibious vehicles where practical and bridges where necessary.

Final comment

They've purchased a battalion worth of tanks and support vehicles - all good. Although they have smartly included 4 x AVLB for small gap crossing, I would hardly characterize this purchase as emphasizing water-crossing capability.

I will let the Romanians figure out their organization including whether or not they are using some as spares and school tanks, but putting one AVLB with each sub-unit would not be a very good idea.

@TangoTwoBravo would know this much better than I.

🍻
The Canadian Army is reorganizing it’s Armour regiments. Eighteen months ago there were two tank squadrons at the LdSH in Edmonton and then C Sqn RCD in Gagetown. C Sqn is a mix of RCD and 12 RBC.

When the dust settles there will be three tank squadrons (Armour Sqn Heavy?) in Edmonton and seven Recce (Armour Light Sqns?) between Pet, Val and Gagetown.

The Leo 2A6M are all in turret R&O out East. The Leo 2A4M are en route to Latvia. C Sqn RCD will do at least one rotation in Latvia and then convert to Recce (Armour Light) when they get back home. The Leo 2A4s will be concentrated in Edmonton where the LdSH will prepare successive tank deployments for Latvia. Perhaps they will be augmented by personnel from the ARes and other regiments, but in any case those 40ish Leo 2A4s will be used to conduct courses and CT up to Sqn level.

The Canadian Army is reorganizing it’s Armour regiments. Eighteen months ago there were two tank squadrons at the LdSH in Edmonton and then C Sqn RCD in Gagetown. C Sqn is a mix of RCD and 12 RBC.

When the dust settles there will be three tank squadrons (Armour Sqn Heavy?) in Edmonton and seven Recce (Armour Light Sqns?) between Pet, Val and Gagetown.

The Leo 2A6M are all in turret R&O out East. The Leo 2A4M are en route to Latvia. C Sqn RCD will do at least one rotation in Latvia and then convert to Recce (Armour Light) when they get back home. The Leo 2A4s will be concentrated in Edmonton where the LdSH will prepare successive tank deployments for Latvia. Perhaps they will be augmented by personnel from the ARes and other regiments, but in any case those 40ish Leo 2A4s will be used to conduct courses and CT up to Sqn level.

Thanks for the informative update!

Dumb question: why eight recce squadrons? (after C Sqn RCD converts)

The armored corp will be divised in heavy cavalry (leo2) medium cavalry (lav) and light cavalry (tapv/g-wagon). No more "armored"or "recce" all cavalries have the same role just limited in there equipment capacities

The armored corp will be divised in heavy cavalry (leo2) medium cavalry (lav) and light cavalry (tapv/g-wagon). No more "armored"or "recce" all cavalries have the same role just limited in there equipment capacities
Same role? Tanks and LAV’s (let alone the TAPV and GWagon) are significantly different that the role can’t even be viewed as similar.

Movement and ground will determine the tactics. Tanks and TAPV do not have the same mobility. Tracks and wheels, the age old dilemma of employing both in the same ground. But I also don't count the TAPV as a recce platform.
Our fire and movement is performed the same. One foot on the ground at all times. No matter what vehicle. Even a full on frontal assault has a fire base.
Troop numbers can be modified with atts & dets, as needed. Never, ever deploy less than a pair.
Logistics are the same. Just different load outs. Running replens are the same. All of our hide, harbour and leaguer drills are the same.

Tank, recce, light recce and cavalry mean nothing. They are descriptors. We've been changing those names for ever. Use your call sign, everyone will know what your mounted in.

OK former - well actually in my mind I'm infantry. If my PL/Coy wants armored Fire Support I want tanks backing me, not g Wagons TYVM.

But if you couldn't get a Tank into your area to supply Fire Support would you accept a G-Wagon with a GMG?

Half a loaf and all that....

Back