• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's new Far Right

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Today's G&M has a pretty sobering article on the online world of Canadians trying to expand the far right.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-canadas-new-far-right-a-trove-of-private-chat-room-messages-reveals/

A couple of observations:

Randy the alleged CAF Army engineer could be full of shyte.
The story identifies the old Hudson Bay Company flag as the Canadian Red Ensign. I once again shake my head at the historical ignorance of our citizenary.

As for the rest of the story, these fools need to be hunted down and outed but I don't think they are the threat that some want to make them out to be.

FSTO said:
< snip > I don't think they are the threat that some want to make them out to be.

I guess they are harmless enough.

This caught my eye,

Guns and weaponry are a recurring topic of discussion among members of the group. They share photographs of arsenals – at home, in the gun range and out in the wilderness. They weigh the pros and cons of makes and models, and trade tips about where and how to buy them.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-canadas-new-far-right-a-trove-of-private-chat-room-messages-reveals/

I'm a gun owner myself. But, never been obsessed with them.

The writer’s research published a long article (14 pages), with select portions related to the CAF.
Overall, this report is more political than current CAF affairs.

That being said, today’s report reinforces why we need to respect PERSEC and our personal internet use.
The CAF is drawn from Canadians, and we are held to a higher standard. That does not stop our personal opinions and thoughts. We should reconsider what and where we engage online.

Who wants to be tomorrow’s headline? It’s not always positive.

Edit: To fix the broken link.

Is wiping your ass with clothing from dead people some kind  alt-right wing  racist statement? Or just someone not ordering enough toilet paper?

Pretty unhygienic if you ask me.

I'm not Costco.
Not discounting the crap these people are spouting.

I was reinforcing how important what anyone posts online, you own what you say.

kratz said:
I'm not Costco.
Not discounting the crap these people are spouting.

I was reinforcing how important what anyone posts online, you own what you say.

For sure, didn't mean to suggest you were. I was just thinking out loud about how stupid that article is, especially Mr Rusty.

I like how the G&M go on and on about all his stories with a quick comment that it may or may not be true, and they couldn't validate any of it. But that sure didn't stop them from posting that garbage.

Jarnhamar said:
For sure, didn't mean to suggest you were. I was just thinking out loud about how stupid that article is, especially Mr Rusty.

I like how the G&M go on and on about all his stories with a quick comment that it may or may not be true, and they couldn't validate any of it. But that sure didn't stop them from posting that garbage.

Normally newspaper take steps to verify information that they receive from interviewees but in this case what they are doing is reporting the information that was posted in discussion forums. It's not so much as to whether or not the information is true or not, the newsworthy element is that it was written and discussed online in those terms in the first place and the volume of these types of discussions which are going on.

:cheers:

FJAG said:
Normally newspaper take steps to verify information that they receive from interviewees but in this case what they are doing is reporting the information that was posted in discussion forums. It's not so much as to whether or not the information is true or not, the newsworthy element is that it was written and discussed online in those terms in the first place and the volume of these types of discussions which are going on.

:cheers:

That's how I see it as well. They're talking about a pretty huge volume of conversational logs, and they clearly took steps to verify and corroborate what they could through other sources. They aren't vouching for the specific accuracy of every claim some wingnut makes, but rather speaking more generally to 'this is a group of people that are out there and here's what they're saying / doing as best as we can determine'. It's pulling back the curtain a bit on a pretty gross and dark underbelly within our society. And don't kid yourself- these people ARE out there and DO think like this. Few will ever be motivated to real violent action, but it only takes one to have a tragedy.

Bah, you guys are right. I'm annoyed to have the CAF implicated and involved in that garbage. I'd love to see the nis get involved and investigate that rusty POSs claims and expose him.

Jarnhamar said:
Bah, you guys are right. I'm annoyed to have the CAF implicated and involved in that garbage. I'd love to see the nis get involved and investigate that rusty POSs claims and expose him.

Alleged CAF Rusty says he is an engineer who was on a DART deployment to Nepal. How many guys are that, 25 to 30 max? Should take no time at all to figure out who that is.

Back