• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's First CC177 gets painted

will any of our C177's have the extra center wing fuel tank or all they all  the standard model ?

Haletown:

They're all extended range [ER] tank aircraft.
Boeing stopped making the "non-ER" tanks on fuselage 71.
The first 70 were non-ER and then every aircraft from then on have been ER jets.

So, we'll have a 245,000 lb fuel capacity.
Plenty of gas to get to where we need to go ..... I hope.  :)

GS will you be one of the select few to fly the unfriendly skies in one of those babies?

Globesmasher said:
Haletown:

They're all extended range [ER] tank aircraft.
Boeing stopped making the "non-ER" tanks on fuselage 71.
The first 70 were non-ER and then every aircraft from then on have been ER jets.

So, we'll have a 245,000 lb fuel capacity.
Plenty of gas to get to where we need to go ..... I hope.  :)

thnx . .  appreciate the info.  Hard to keep up all with the news :)

Will you be / are you qualified for in-flight refueling ?  Would be a very useful qual when operating with Allies.

I am really happy you guys are finally getting some really good kit.  You deserve it and I know you'll put it to good use. 

Congrats and good luck.  You make us "older" guys proud.

Haletown said:
Will you be / are you qualified for in-flight refueling ?   Would be a very useful qual when operating with Allies.

HT:

I used to be qualified for AR when I was flying this thing with the USAF from 2001-2004.
But not any longer.

We're not going to bother with AR.

With the ER tanks we'll have plenty of gas to do what we need within our crew duty days.
Also, since the CF does not possess any "boom" tankers (KC-135 or KC-10) it will be very problematic to keep our crews current in AR skills.
Scheduling will be a nightmare.
Also, that fuel that comes down that boom to the receiver in-flight .... very expensive.
Once you factor in all the costs, that gas that the receiver takes on in-flight costs 9 times what it costs to pump it out of the ground.

We can't afford that .......  :'(

245,000 lbs of gas - that's gives me about 10 - 11 hours of cruise time (probably a bit more) doing 400-500 miles per hour depending on winds and weight.
That'll do us nicely .....  :)

I'm not a big fan of being Snowbird #4 and flying line astern 18' away from a KC-10 trying to pass highly flammable fuel down a nozzle under high pressure at me at 25,000' in the air ........ it takes about 20 minutes to take on about 60-70,000 lbs of fuel.  No fun at all.

There but for the grace of God ......

[edit - spelling]

GS,

thanks for the pics; the combination of seeing what that thing can do at an airshow this past weekend and seeing 'Canada' on the side of one actually took my breath away... Such a proud moment; I can't wait to hopefully one day get my hands on one!

cheeky_monkey said:
WOW.

WOW.

That is one sleek, sexy plane. And I never thought I would say that about any jet, let alone a strategic airlifter. I guess the Mapleleaf makes all the difference.  :cdn:

Let me add...

WOW

WOW

WOW!!!!!!!

Thanks for the great pictures!!!!

I bet you can't wait GS...

I understand what you mean about the AR...I was lucky for most of the time being blissfully unaware during the AR process in the back end of the E-3.  The few times I was up front, I wished I wasn't watching!  On the other hand, I got some great naps durning the 20-30 minutes it took for the AR to take place.

Interesting pamphlet from Boeing.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/acaps/bc17-c17a-brochure.pdf

NS

NavyShooter said:
Interesting pamphlet from Boeing.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/acaps/bc17-c17a-brochure.pdf

NS

Well this will help Microsoft to build a virtual model for their flight sim.

I guess its going to be called Canada One, looks pretty good!

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1235185

Posted 3 weeks ago.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/60617/post-583846.html#msg583846

Okay time for a couple of serious questions.

Why do you guys keep pointing to articles on army.ca? Should I only go to the message boards found there?

Is it protocol that every message board be searched for any possible relation to a post which is about
to be made prior to making it?

Back