• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada-US Trade Relations

This article is a few years old but it breaks down who tends to buy Canadian and that 92 percent prefer to buy Canadian.

I am noticing around my parts more made in Canada signs.  The local grocery store had French's Ketchup.  The farmer's market across the street said they've seen an increase in customers looking for local produce (including myself).

Caveat:  this is all anecdotal for me and not necessarily a trend. 

Good article FJAG.

Both authors are well regarded on these issues.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-travel-may-1.4213816

Canadians are making fewer trips to the United States, and foreign appetite for travel in Canada has hit its highest May on record.

Statistics Canada reported Thursday that Canadians made 3.2 million trips to the United States in May, down almost eight per cent from April's level and nearly six per cent lower than the same month a year ago.

Car trips to the U.S. were sharply lower, down to 2.5 million during the month, which is the lowest figure seen for that month since 2003.

Seems like the anecdotal evidence is starting to show up in the actual statistics.

Altair said:
Seems like the anecdotal evidence is starting to show up in the actual statistics.

The number of Canadians heading south has grown this year, and the flap between Trump and Trudeau after last month's G7 summit in Quebec didn't change that.
Border crossing data indicates the number of Canadian motorists returning from the U.S. in June grew 12.7 per cent from last year, a healthy increase, according to a license plate-scanning system used by the Canadian government.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/c-est-la-vie-canadians-still-visiting-u-s-despite-trade-flap-1.4013928

Or not.......

Cheers
Larry

My wife went to New York State last weekend and the price of gas was the equivalent of $0.57/litre. There will be massive advantages to cross border trade for the foreseeable future, if the government does not engage in a pissing contest they cannot win.

For sure both sides need to remain level headed we do have an election in November and any more tariffs will need Congressional approval which will be a tough sell for many members.The US is still getting Canadians to cross the border.

https://apnews.com/3cc07ddb7c9f469081c414021d2bd19d

Thucydides said:
My wife went to New York State last weekend and the price of gas was the equivalent of $0.57/litre. There will be massive advantages to cross border trade for the foreseeable future, if the government does not engage in a pissing contest they cannot win.
I don't buy gas in Canada unless I'm stuck. I can always find a reason to shop and fill up. I can be over the border faster than I cross the city.🙂

I always buy my gas at home. It pays for my health care - and yours, and will some day pay for my pension - and yours, and my VAC pension - and yours, and perhaps even my medicine - and yours.

PPCLI Guy said:
I always buy my gas at home. It pays for my health care - and yours, and will some day pay for my pension - and yours, and my VAC pension - and yours, and perhaps even my medicine - and yours.
Hear hear

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PPCLI Guy said:

Yeah, I've been working and paying my taxes for over 51 years. Are you even that old? And I'm still paying myself my pensions and ohip through my taxes Plus all the lazy slugs spending three generations on welfare who dont contribute a fucking thing towards all those things you hold so near and dear.

I declare every single thing I bring in. If I don't get sent to secondary for duty and taxes that's not my fucking problem. I could be following our PMs example of smuggling in and not declaring our country's $300 sunglasses gift that he was fined $100 for trying to keep. However, I refuse to follow any of his leads. Unlike the career climbers with their outward gushing of all things trudeauesqe, in order to be seen as an obedient supporter of his false jingoism and their own lack of spine hoping to be noticed for advancement. There are many prime examples in our nations capital. I'm not handsome, but I don't see a hypocrite in the mirror either and I sleep just fine. But thanks again for supporting me in retirement like I did for all those retired ahead of me during my 51 year tax paying working life.

Cheers

recceguy said:
Yeah, I've been working and paying my taxes for over 51 years. Are you even that old? And I'm still paying myself my pensions and ohip through my taxes Plus all the lazy slugs spending three generations on welfare who dont contribute a ******* thing towards all those things you hold so near and dear.

I declare every single thing I bring in. If I don't get sent to secondary for duty and taxes that's not my ******* problem. I could be following our PMs example of smuggling in and not declaring our country's $300 sunglasses gift that he was fined $100 for trying to keep. However, I refuse to follow any of his leads. Unlike the career climbers with their outward gushing of all things trudeauesqe, in order to be seen as an obedient supporter of his false jingoism and their own lack of spine hoping to be noticed for advancement. There are many prime examples in our nations capital. I'm not handsome, but I don't see a hypocrite in the mirror either and I sleep just fine. But thanks again for supporting me in retirement like I did for all those retired ahead of me during my 51 year tax paying working life.

Cheers
Smuggling in?

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4718338&ved=2ahUKEwicp5nntaPcAhUCPN8KHcbLC_YQFjAKegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw17cfNLBXQ2oVaL88Ot5IXm&ampcf=1

The gift, according to the prime minister's public declaration, was two pairs of leather-covered sunglasses made by Fellow Earthlings eyewear, based in the rural P.E.I. community of Guernsey Cove.

They were a gift from P.E.I. Premier Wade MacLauchlan last summer and retail between $300 and $500.
I know PEI is small and and not as newsworthy as other provinces,  but I'm sure I would have remembered the PEI separatists winning their referendum and becoming their own country

:rofl:

recceguy said:
Yeah, I've been working and paying my taxes for over 51 years. Are you even that old? And I'm still paying myself my pensions and ohip through my taxes Plus all the lazy slugs spending three generations on welfare who dont contribute a ******* thing towards all those things you hold so near and dear.

I declare every single thing I bring in. If I don't get sent to secondary for duty and taxes that's not my ******* problem. I could be following our PMs example of smuggling in and not declaring our country's $300 sunglasses gift that he was fined $100 for trying to keep. However, I refuse to follow any of his leads. Unlike the career climbers with their outward gushing of all things trudeauesqe, in order to be seen as an obedient supporter of his false jingoism and their own lack of spine hoping to be noticed for advancement. There are many prime examples in our nations capital. I'm not handsome, but I don't see a hypocrite in the mirror either and I sleep just fine. But thanks again for supporting me in retirement like I did for all those retired ahead of me during my 51 year tax paying working life.

Cheers
Rant on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PPCLI Guy said:

You are exemplary.

Many of your fellow Canadians, however, live much closer to the economic edge and therefore are price sensitive when it comes to the basics that they need to live.

Wisconsin isn't a fan of tariffs right now.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/checkup/brewing-problem-u-s-beer-drinkers-pay-more-as-aluminum-tariffs-hit-cans-1.4747348

Also more anecdotal observations on my part.  I was hard pressed to find any made in Canada produce at my local grocery store but now it seems they have plenty and lots of made in Mexico and far less made in the USA produce.

Still, having discovered a local farmer's market I get produce at a better price and better quality. 

Remius said:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/checkup/brewing-problem-u-s-beer-drinkers-pay-more-as-aluminum-tariffs-hit-cans-1.4747348

Also more anecdotal observations on my part.  I was hard pressed to find any made in Canada produce at my local grocery store but now it seems they have plenty and lots of made in Mexico and far less made in the USA produce.

Still, having discovered a local farmer's market I get produce at a better price and better quality.

That seems to also be the case in my neck of the woods, too.

However- the real test will be in the months where Canadian gardens do not do all that well.

Remius said:

Darn, they must be blaming Canada for this

Let me read the article.

Nope.
In the Octopi taproom, where locals enjoy a pint at the end of a work day, customer David Ley says the modest increase in the cost of beer won't stop him from supporting local breweries.

But Ley believes it will cost Republicans votes in the upcoming U.S. midterm elections.

"I hope other people around me realize they're paying more for beer, paying more for groceries because of the tariffs. And I hope the Republican party will be held responsible."

Altair said:
Smuggling in?

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4718338&ved=2ahUKEwicp5nntaPcAhUCPN8KHcbLC_YQFjAKegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw17cfNLBXQ2oVaL88Ot5IXm&ampcf=1
I know PEI is small and and not as newsworthy as other provinces,  but I'm sure I would have remembered the PEI separatists winning their referendum and becoming their own country

:rofl:
OK, I'll wear that. 22hr days are not conducive to me pulling Trudeau gaffes from my brain housing group. It's hard to keep track of his vision for himself vice the rest of us keeping score by his embarrassments. My points still stand as far as my economics. We are not all destined for sainthood as some think they are. We can't afford to be.

PPCLI Guy said:

My view as well. We can't control much in this world, but at least I can decide which shopkeeper or gas station owner's pockets I put my pennies into, and I would much, much rather that be a Canadian pocket if I have the choice. I hadn't thought of the tax angle, but I agree I'd rather pay to support the pensions, health care and defence budget in Canada than in a foreign country.

pbi said:
My view as well. We can't control much in this world, but at least I can decide which shopkeeper or gas station owner's pockets I put my pennies into, and I would much, much rather that be a Canadian pocket if I have the choice. I hadn't thought of the tax angle, but I agree I'd rather pay to support the pensions, health care and defence budget in Canada than in a foreign country.

Again, very commendable. I don't have the luck of having a senior officer pension or the access to corporate world, or a government post in retirement. I have to do what I can. Not complaining, but if I have to modify to make it work, oh well.

The whole tax thing is a bit of a shell though, imo, all the taxes to Ottawa are being given out around the world when it should be spent here so i don't have to shop, in the US, to save. Trudeau can save the world if he wants. Quit using my tax dollars that should be spent in Canada, on Canadians. If Trudeau won't keep our money here, I'd rather mine go to our protective allies to the south, than to an African dictator or to foreign social projects and immigration.reforms hes trying to buy a name with around the world, at our expense. So yeah, keep handing him your cash if that makes you sleep better.

I worked hard for everything I have, I'm not complaining. However, what I earn.is spent on what I want, not what Trudeau wants.

I'm wondering how many Canadians would starve or quit driving, before they bought US food and goods on the.principal of patriotism.

I haven't looked up any stats but I don't think many hard working, tax paying Canadians with access to the US shopping will change because people in Ottawa or away from the border, wrap themselves up in the flag. Almost sounds like envy or jealousy at not being able to access the US on a daily basis. That just whimsical fantasy though........right?

Back