• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can the Liberals, Conservatives and NDP pay for what they promise?

Jascar

Inactive
Reaction score
The Canadian Centre For Policy Alternatives did some math to figure out if Martin, Harper and Layton could pay for the programs/projects/tax cuts they've promised in their platforms. These are the results:

"When the impacts of the Conservative platform are added to the status-quo base case, the party would run a cumulative deficit of $11.4 billion over five years. In implementing their platform promises, the Conservatives would run annual deficits of $0.7, $3, $4 and $5.6 billion.

Between 2004/05 and 2008/09 the Liberal platform would produce a cumulative surplus of $24.2 billion--consistent with the Liberal government's practice of generating large surpluses and using them to pay down the debt.

The NDP platform would result in a cumulative surplus of $14.6 billion, which is considerably more than the $5.3 billion in cumulative surpluses that the party claims in its platform."

For the complete story and information on the methods used to make these conclusions, go to: http://www.policyalternatives.ca/ and download the PDF.

Considering the article was written by an economist who works for the United Steelworkers Union, I would look out for an obvious political bent to the report.

Infanteer said:
Considering the article was written by an economist who works for the United Steelworkers Union, I would look out for an obvious political bent to the report.

The Centre for Policy Alternatives is definately a left-leaning organization, but it would be very difficult to claim that the Conservative platform won't run a deficit. Numbers can be fudged, but not THAT much.

Jascar said:
Infanteer said:

The Centre for Policy Alternatives is definately a left-leaning organization, but it would be very difficult to claim that the Conservative platform won't run a deficit. Numbers can be fudged, but not THAT much.
true, the conservative plans may run a deficit, but the libs, and the NDP, cut out so much money from so many federal programs to get that surplus, that, is it really worth it?

ToRN said:
true, the conservative plans may run a deficit, but the libs, and the NDP, cut out so much money from so many federal programs to get that surplus, that, is it really worth it?
There was once a time when debt reduction became a major priority for the Canadian public. I personally agree that some cuts were acceptable to turn the debt situation around. Now we have a huge surplus, not something I'm going to complain about. Funding can be restored to certain programs now without going back into the red.

But the Conservatives will kill the surplus and add to our already enormous debt. And why? Not because of increased military and health care spending (that can be done without going into debt), but because of those massive tax cuts at the same time. The trade off just doesn't seem worth it to me.

The case against the Conservatives assumes they're too stupid or stubborn to increase revenues (taxes) or cut spending.

The case for the Liberals and NDP assumes they're sufficiently disciplined to not increase program spending after the honeymoon.  Do you really trust them to keep it in their pants until the next election?  How ironic the CCPA should produce the study - they have their own shopping list they'll be happy to push on the next left-leaning government to come along.

Brad Sallows said:
The case for the Liberals and NDP assumes they're sufficiently disciplined to not increase program spending after the honeymoon.   Do you really trust them to keep it in their pants until the next election?  
Paul Martin has consistently produced a surplus and used it for debt reduction, so I'd trust him not to spend it.

Hmmm...I am not so sure the Conservatives would have the support they do if Canadians knew they planned on running into deficits to keep their promises. Or maybe the Conservatives plan to slash spending to social programs. Possibly the numbers are fudged.

We don't know, probably never will. These guys promise us the sky, and then when they get into parliament, if they do, they keep half their promises if we're lucky. I guess we just have to vote for the best one, and pray they keep the most important promises. The only time they come out of Ottawa is around election time, they come promising this and that, then when they are elected back to Ottawa, it's 4 or 5 more years of hiding.

Jack Layton is a non-factor in this election in my opinion. The NDP has no realistic chance of forming the next government(aside from a coalition with the Liberals, as I hear in the news that Paul Martin is doing behind the scenes negotiating already) and Layton won't have to keep any of his promises to Canadians. So he can promise anything he wants, but he won't have the mandate to deliver.

Then there's Paul Martin, who wrapped his Steamship Lines in just about every other countries flag in an attempt to dodge paying Canadian taxes, now he wants to wrap himself and the Liberal party in the Canadian flag like he is going to be some sort of superhero for health care.

Stephen Harper is really the lesser of 2 realistic evils. If people vote the Conservatives into power, then it will be for change, not so much because they believe in the Conservative platform, but because they want a fresh start and a new outloook.

This report is a bunch of BS, written up by  a left wing bunch of kooks trying to scare voters into voting for their friends.

I can't believe that some have fallen for this line of garbage..

The CPC will not run a deficit.

they can't afford to, the last thing Harper wants is to get slammed like others have for the same thing (ie.Harris, Eves, Mulruney)

Paul Martin has consistently produced a surplus and used it for debt reduction, so I'd trust him not to spend it.

And of course, if part of the surplus goes to the Gun Registry (2million dollar projected cost, now at about 1 billion dollars), job creation programmes (HRDC to create lots ofjobs for Canadians, created jobs for 27 of them, at HRDC, for a cost of 2 billion dollars), and, lest we forget, giving money to all the Liberal shills out there...

It's not even that I disagree with the Liberal stance on any of these things.   It's simply that they are incompetent.   They can't even implement their own programmes correctly.   Who is responsible for the obscene cost overruns of these things?   The Finance Minister.   WTF was Paul doing while all this shit was going on?   Smoking his soon to be legal weed?

Think Twice.   Vote once.   That's true.   You should think long and hard about it.   Politicians are scum say you all....shouldn't you Demand Better?   You know, like accountable politicians?   Why don't you look at the various party platforms and decide if you like them.   Then, decide on the relative likelyhood of any of those promises coming to fruition.   Like the new helicopters we have.   (oops).   Well, at least the GST is gone.   (oops)   Well, at least we got rid of free trade (oops).

Note that I'm pro-free trade and think that eliminating the GST is unworkable....but the Liberals promised all this.

Harper is gonna raise military spending....oooh, isn't that terrible!   Maybe our personnel won't be visiting food banks to make ends meet when this happens...oh, yeah....that happened on the Liberal watch too!  

Debt is going down because of slashed transfers to the provinces for Medicare.   Provinces have repeatedly complained, and the government establishes a Royal Commission to talk it into the dirt.   Have they implemented changes?   No, they're foreseen for the future (2006?).   Yep, those Liberals are defending the Medicare concept all right...look how helpful they've been.   Provinces have been forced to de-list services they can no longer afford to pay.   This of course is something that the Federal Liberal Government has chosen not to notice....Ralph Klien is a Conservative, his changes are bad.   McGuinty is a Liberal, whatever he does must be OK.

So, I'm obviously not a fan of the Liberals.   I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.   I think their policies and ideas are patently unworkable and lead to higher taxes and restriction on our freedoms.   But:   assuming there are those who DO agree with their policies, what have they done for you lately, based on their promises?

I wouldn't trust a Liberal not to fuck up a one-car parade.

If you're leaning Liberal and believe they can be trusted to not spend in deficit, you still need to be realistic about the structure of the government within which they must work.  It is not credible to believe the Liberals will win a majority.  Therefore, they will be forced to make deals.  Both the NDP and Bloc are very pro-spending.

At this point it is unsafe to assume that any party or combination of parties will not overspend, but it is fair to assume they are all capable of remaining within budget if they so desire.  It is only a matter of whether programs will be cut or taxes increased.  I am skeptical that DND will do well if proposed program spending looks to overshoot the deficit line.

I'd just like to add one more reason to turf the Liberals on Monday.

Recently Paul Martin stood up to Ralph Klein because he supposedly was going to break the Canadian Health Act and bring more privatization to Alberta. (but you never saw the PM standing up to Dalton McGuinty when he broke his election promise of not raising taxes). Paul Martin uses private health care, his own doctor is the pioneer of private health care in Canada. And heck, Quebec has more privatization than Alberta. We never hear anything but silent on that one.

Sure, unification is good, but not at the cost of every single other province.

I think I'd rather someone in charge of our tax dollars who actually pays taxes to Canada rather than someone who does everything possible to dodge paying taxes. Maybe that is just me. 

Back