• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can Parents Trigger Release/Withdraw Consent for Minor Recruits

Interestingly enough many years ago I had the displeasure of running into this situation and yes the son was released on the mothers say so. Don't know if he carried through with his comment to her though that he would be back in 6 months when he turned 18 and didn't need her approval.  In that case the mother apparently didn't understand the military used rifles and was very upset to see her son come out of the field all cammed up and carrying one when she stopped in for a surprise visit. :facepalm: :rofl:

I honestly doubt the CF is going to put up much of a legal defense if a parent insists that their 17 year old reservist child quit the military. It's probably not a precedent they really want to fight, nor is the retention of a part time reservist with likely no more than BMQ completed really worth it to the CAF. As said before, a parent could very well just refuse to allow their child to attend training nights until the reservist becomes non-effective strength and is thus released.

A more interesting case would be a Regular Force member that has completed BMQ but is under the age of 18, that may very well be a whole different ball game.

RADOPSIGOPACISSOP said:
A more interesting case would be a Regular Force member that has completed BMQ but is under the age of 18, that may very well be a whole different ball game.

I'm not a lawyer, but I read this,

FJAG said:
In my humble and very legalistic view, the consent is a one-time consent to enrolment and not required for continued service in the CF. Once freely given, and once enrolment is completed, the consent is no longer revocable and the individual remains a member. And as I've said many many times before -- I'm retired now, no longer practice law and this is therefore not a legal opinion but merely a wild a**ed educated guess.

Back