• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Call Signs

SupersonicMax said:
Not the best idea on the open radio waves....

You never watched "Supertroopers" have you?    ::)

Regards

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
You never watched "Supertroopers" have you?    ::)

Regards

I did!  But it means something else in the operational world ;)

I know this thread is just for fun, but when I was Ops Staff for a CSTC it was huge decision. hahah I know, but it was your name for the year.

It took me awhile, but I came up with Joker. Kinda like Private Joker from the movie Full Metal Jacket.

Maverick and Iceman also very common names used.

Golf Oscar Delta

Hawaii 5-0:
"Book him, Danno. Murder one."

NL_engineer said:
Banchie Warrior 4-5 (well it is an actual call sign of an American Helo)

"Banshee", actually, as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banshee

I don't think that they had "woman of the fairy mounds" or "the banshee chiefly appears in one of three guises: a young woman, a stately matron or a raddled old hag" (I've never thought of Kiowas as "stately", but they are rather elegant for instruments of lethality) in mind when they began their callsign-picking exercise, but "omen of death" and "Although not always seen, her mourning call is heard, usually at night when someone is about to die" are appropriate.

"Checkmate King-2, This is White Rook, Over…"

Loachman said:
"Banshee", actually, as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banshee

I don't think that they had "woman of the fairy mounds" or "the banshee chiefly appears in one of three guises: a young woman, a stately matron or a raddled old hag" (I've never thought of Kiowas as "stately", but they are rather elegant for instruments of lethality) in mind when they began their callsign-picking exercise, but "omen of death" and "Although not always seen, her mourning call is heard, usually at night when someone is about to die" are appropriate.

Thanks, I wasn't able to search, as my connection is slooooooooooooow.  We are just lucky to have internet.

Loachman said:
Heard a callsign on the radio in KAF on a couple of nights - Booyah. I never did find out who or what it was.

The little grey single engine jobs (with pilots). A few more from the KAF Flight Line:
Cave Dweller
Frankenstein
King Kong
Trash
Velcro
Ramit
Lanyard
Stampede
Fang
Daddy
Ouzo
Cynic
Rascal
Urchin
Torque

WrenchBender (C/S MapleLeaf 1)

Teaching ECAS procedures to a couple of female medics about two years ago I told them to pick their own call signs, without a second's hesitation they came up with CANDY STRIPER.  The pilot almost choked when they came up on freq.

Our SLAYER / RAMPAGE call signs are still pretty good.  One of the worst was a USMC harrier sqn - LADY ACE.

WrenchBender said:
A few more from the KAF Flight Line:

Bone (B1B) - who, in the words of one of my peers "paid way too much for their synthetic aperture radar" when they insisted that three dogs wandering down the road one night was a motorcycle driving erratically; that became a standing joke.

Dude - F15E.

Vapour - Brit Harrier.

Speaking of B1B - one I was controlling in '05 had the most appropriate call sign - DEATH.

I was flying a few days ago and there was an f-18 with the call sign nightmare.  ;D

Heres a few more callsigns I've heard on the UHF/VHF nets

Scalp
Dealer
Inmate
Warden
Mako
Baja
Dagger
Broadway (not as cool)
Shocker
Matrix
Rattler
Primal
Anarchy
Spad
Cheetah

Two Reaper or Predator callsigns that I heard were Gabby and Phingston, or something like that. I have no clue why they picked either, but perhaps the latter was the closest to Sphincter that they could get away with.

Had an SSM once, call sign BLACK BETTY,  because he never got off of his air mattress in the field.

Kat Stevens said:
Had an SSM once, call sign BLACK BETTY,  because he never got off of his air mattress in the field.
Kat.....you remember the SSM we had in 15 back in 1999 ?

Callsign "Hamburgler"

Back