• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CALGARY is now in Dockyard

Pat in Halifax said:
Another biggee for HAL is that she retains IMCS vice IPMS UFN.
Exactly. 
Occam said:
HAL and CAL should be pretty darned close in terms of improvements, except for a few minor changes which weren't committed to the class until well after HAL started refit.  They'll be retrofitted.
Which, Occam, is a quite a wee bit more than a "minor" change.  It's big, as big for us as the Ops changes are for them.  But yes, they'll be retrofitted quite a way down the roadway.  The Cyclone retro will be more minor in comparison.

jollyjacktar said:
The delays in the new bird is slowing that change for the trap.

jollyjacktar said:
The Cyclone retro will be more minor in comparison.

Absolutely correct that the Cyclone mod is smaller than the other ones talked about, but it is much more than just the trap.  Its the ADR layout and equipment fit, Air Stores, Hangar layout, Tactical Systems Interfaces, how the maintenance packup embarks, Flight Deck lighting, Flight Deck marking, Howdah changes, removal of the tail probe tracks, moving the tail guide winches to nose guide, new equipment dollies including for the weapon...

Thus why, a Sea King can't embark on a Cyclone ship, and vice versa, even though they can recover, albeit freedeck.

Had our tour of the ship on Thursday. Quite impressive, the operations room is huge and looking extremely modern. The big screen monitors will certainly enhance the flow of information between the seats. The CO has quite the Captain Kirk chair with the selector switch and keyboard built into the arms. He in fact has two chairs, one in between the SWC (Sensor Weapons Controller) and ORO (Operations Room Officer) and the other between the ORO and the ASWC (Anti-Submarine Warfare Controller). Behind them in the CTG (Commander Task Group) area (I understand that only 2 ships per coast will get the CTG fit).
Each back row position has a tri-screen consol which will display engineering, CCTV, SEOSS and other inputs on one screen, centre screen will display the LOP and the third screen will contain Chat, DWAN and CSNI. There is a plate that will fit over the keyboard which will give the SWC, ORO and ASWC a larger workspace. The consols have a much lower profile than the previous fit which means that the shortest ORS (Operations Room Supervisor) will be able to talk to the ORO with out jumping in the air.

There are two big screen monitors on either side of the SWC and ASWC consols (up in the deckhead) that the CO, ORO and Directors can all see. There is another larger big screen monitor at fwd bulkhead that all members of the OPS Room can see.

Up on the bridge another CCS consol has been placed and a big screen monitor above the CO's chair. Hopefully these screens have the ability to display at night similar to the SDM monitors.

The Main Control Room (MCR) has been completely changed with Integrated Machinery Control System (IMCS) being the central feature of the system. Once again much smaller consols have been installed which has resulted in a much larger space for the stokers and HQ1. There is again a very large monitor that displays all the machinery, fluids, electrical and all other engineering monitors. The screen is also used as the Damage Control (DC) stateboard and is touchscreen capable. In each of the Section Base HQ, there are touch screen capable monitors. As well there are CCTV throughout the ship.

The pilots ready room has been revamped into a conference style seating (hopefully the pilots can still play their X-Box in there!  ;D).

There is some more things but that is all I could remember. A lot of changes but I think those of you who will sail and work in there will like them!

FSTO said:
(I understand that only 2 ships per coast will get the CTG fit).

The Ops Rm will be the same for all 12.  The CTG mods elsewhere in the ship will only be applied as you described.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new SHINCOM up and running.  I had a tour of DRS Technologies (developers of the new system) and it looks impressive.  At the very least, everyone should enjoy the comfy new headsets... 

FSTO said:
The pilots ready room has been revamped into a conference style seating

The ADR (Air Detachment Room, not all aircrew are pilots, and certainly NOT Ship's Briefng Room) is like it is so that during planning using the MPAS (Mission Preparation and Analysis Service) the front row can be raised and turned to the table, and during briefing it can be turned back to the screen and lowered, so everyone can see.

We're finally getting what we need in there.  Originally, back in the early '90s, the plan was to have a CCS-330 console so we could see what was going on for planning and briefing, but it never materialized.

Baz said:
The ADR (Air Detachment Room, not all aircrew are pilots, and certainly NOT Ship's Briefng Room) is like it is so that during planning using the MPAS (Mission Preparation and Analysis Service) the front row can be raised and turned to the table, and during briefing it can be turned back to the screen and lowered, so everyone can see.

We're finally getting what we need in there.  Originally, back in the early '90s, the plan was to have a CCS-330 console so we could see what was going on for planning and briefing, but it never materialized.

If that is the case then there is a lot of work left to be done. The chairs appeared to be arranged in a conference room style seating.

Larry Strong said:
Can a picture be posted without violating Opsec?

Sorry. I don't feel comfortable doing it myself but perhaps someone more in tune with the security requirements of the Ops Room will put them up next week when people are back at work and able to access the DIN.

Back