• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CALGARY is now in Dockyard

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Was down at A Jetty and seen that CAL is now berthed there. She sure looks different without the big SPS 49 Radar on the bridge top!

I got a tour of Toronto a while back. They told us there was a major modernization going on- was Calgary the first one to go through that?

HCM/FELEX - HALIFAX Class Modernization/Frigate Life Extension

HMCS Halifax and HMCS Calgary were the first in on their respective coasts.

OK, cool, thanks. Translated into 'dumb grunt who read too much Tom Clancy', what are they upgrading?

Most of the improvements are listed here.  They'll be quite impressive again....as they were when commissioned.

Cool, thanks. That reads to me like many of the electronic guts are being upgraded to modernity?

Yup, warships fall behind on technology rather quickly if you don't keep up on it.  32-bit processors are a little stale...  ;D

Here is a picture I took from the top of the Wardroom. I circled the 3D Radar

Occam said:
Yup, warships fall behind on technology rather quickly if you don't keep up on it.  32-bit processors are a little stale...  ;D

I couldn't get my head around the tape discs.

Heck when the Frigates were built the computer processors were 1970's technology.

Not quite that old...the UYK-507s could be used in 16 or 32 bit mode, but they weren't exactly challenging Big Blue either. 

Does anyone have a progress report on how the FELEX on HMCS Halifax is coming along or when she will be completed?

Expect HAL to leave the ISI shipyard "soon".

Occam said:
HCM/FELEX - HALIFAX Class Modernization/Frigate Life Extension

HMCS Halifax and HMCS Calgary were the first in on their respective coasts.
Can't speak for Calgary but Halifax does not have all the mods.  My girl with the exception of the mods for the Cyclone will have them all.  The delays in the new bird is slowing that change for the trap.

But you're right.  They will be very different in some instances such as Ops Rm, some Mess', how some things are done in my world (MSE) etc.  They are learning from the process and will tweak things as they go through.  By the end of the cycle I hope that most if not all the bugs will be worked out.  It's all good.  :nod:

My ORO course will be taking a tour of CAL on Thursday. Very interested in how the alterations look.

jollyjacktar said:
Can't speak for Calgary but Halifax does not have all the mods.  My girl with the exception of the mods for the Cyclone will have them all.  The delays in the new bird is slowing that change for the trap.

HAL and CAL should be pretty darned close in terms of improvements, except for a few minor changes which weren't committed to the class until well after HAL started refit.  They'll be retrofitted.

Back