• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CADPAT Rain Gear

Infanteer said:
Amen!

I'm also in the camp of "all your issued gear should fit into the barrack boxes you are issued , which themselves should be of an appropriate size actually allowing them to be accepted for military and civilian methods of transport, Also too, it'd be nice if they actually fit into the trunk of one's POMV.".

8)

Who came up with these MoBs anyway? I laughed my ass off (but felt so sorry for) one of the troops we had just kitted as he (& some of my staff) attempted to cram one of these into his trunk (to no avail) - finally settling upon strapping it up on the roof of his car.

Air Canada too is just awesome at charging the troops using their services oversized baggage fees and overweight baggage fees when travelling to/from courses taskings etc. I wonder how much these fees are draining from our budget each year due to a poorly thought out design? cripes, I think the MoB is overweight as soon as you put just two t-shirts to it.  :mad:

The MOB should be inter-modal PLS-compatible. Trying to lift one yourself when actually full is a recipe for a med cat.

Which begs: have UCRs been sent in on this item?  I don't have one yet (thank gosh!!) but I think this needs to be dealt with ASAP if it is something that was badly thought out.

Regarding MoBs, are we still allowed to use barrack boxes or would that throw a wrench into the loading of kit on aircraft?

Are the MOBs forced upon those still with 3 x barrack boxes? I guess the only good thing about the MOBs is the inline wheels and collapsible handle? Probably better just to find collapsible/portable luggage dollies and strap 'em onto the barrack boxes.

This waterproof/dustproof thing that the MOB offers - has it proven to be an absolute necessity? And the padding? Off topic from the raingear, but since it came up...

PMedMoe said:
I hear ya.  I hope they've improved the AR rain gear since the last time I wore it.  Maybe I should pack my OD stuff, just in case.  Chances are, we won't have time to clear in.

Jammer, when I went in 2005, we took our OD rain gear with us.  Good thing we did because we handed in the AR gear over a month before the end of the tour so it could be issued to the new people coming in.

The rain gear issued in theater is the exact same as the new one home (except in AR).  My TW rain gear is sitting in KAF, and has been since April  ::)  It was a waste of space like many other items (green Tac Vest).

The MOB is overweight (by Air Canada standards) empty, but it does a good job of keeping dust off the stuff I have inside it.

edited to add

Vern, do we keep the MOB's or turn them in when we get home?

Soldier1stTradesman2nd said:
Are the MOBs forced upon those still with 3 x barrack boxes? ...

Hmmm, interesting question.

Thing is - you are only entitled to 3 X barrack boxes (of any combo Mob/old style) when deployed on an operation. Turning in that 3rd barrack box should occur within 30 days of your return from theatre as part of the AAG your Unit is supposed to complete. This is when any of your deployment specific kit not taken back in-theatre is supposed to be returned by you to clothing stores - including the extra(s) BBs/MoBs you are holding over-entitlement: Yes, I know - if there actually was enough kit in the system for every soldier to have "one man - one kit" for their career -including deployment kit- there would be no need to do this, but currently ... there isn't enough nor does the scale of entitlement authorize you to retain those extras.

If you're RegF, and holding 3 old style - the message recalling your extras [1 - leaving you 2] is less than two years old. ResF had to return all but one due to the recall message. Some people/Units ignored it --- that's why some people still can't get a single barrack box.  ;)

For RegF pers, they are currently allowing 1 MoB and 1 X BB, or 2 X MoB (not 2 X BB but no MoB) to be retained per pers to = their entitlement, but as the BBs that still are in the system go NS, they will not be replaced - eventually leaving nothing but MoBs.

The nice thing about the MOBs being waterproof is that they're large enough to function as an improvised canoe, or you can lash two together with an A7A strap together to make a raft, therefore we can divest the assault boats. DLR is trialing a modified electric trolling motor that would double the speed and range, and can be recharged with solar pannels.   

COBRA-6 said:
The nice thing about the MOBs being waterproof is that they're large enough to function as an improvised canoe, or you can lash two together with an A7A strap together to make a raft, therefore we can divest the assault boats. DLR is trialing a modified electric trolling motor that would double the speed and range, and can be recharged with solar pannels. 

Why stop at lashing two together.  Lash the BGs together and make a bridge.........Crap.....just gave the Chinese an idea.....

George Wallace said:
Why stop at lashing two together.  Lash the BGs together and make a bridge.........Crap.....just gave the Chinese an idea.....

MOB pontoon bridge? Just might work...

Back