• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadets Joining the Reserves - Can it be Both?

• Thread starter corporal-cam
  • Start date
well, i'm a reservist on a simple Class A day once a week, and my kid's CO at his cadet unit wants me to do a ten day CIC boot camp and become one of their Cadet Officers....My PRes CO digs the idea....Is there anything stopping that?....How would that work then?  I'd be an PRes NCM but commissioned through the Cadet Corps?!?!?! ::)

My brother is contemplating dropping cadets for the reserves once he turns 16 in August. It would literally be impossible for him or me to do them both as both training nights are on a Thursday, and the reserves is 2 hours away in Sydney, but he's got the go ahead from our father that he will get him there.

My father asked me the same question last year, but my answer was a swift, "no." Even given the commission and being directly involved with the Forces, I've put so much into the corps, they've put so much back into me, and I would never want to leave the small band of brothers that I've made. Just the way I feel about it.

Pssst only ossifers get comissions ;)

MCpl Saorse, then take your commision and become a CIC Officer. Best of both worlds right?

I've been in Army cadets for almost 2 years and I've decided to join the Reserves with the Queen's York Rangers. I've been talking with the recruiter, and i'm getting a lot of information.

:cdn:

MCpl Saorse said:
Not too sure you can become a CIC at 16.   ;)

I am not sure if you're trying to say that you can become CIC at 16 or if you're not sure sure if you can or can not.

Some searching says that you can not.

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/049-06_e.asp

Steely, you can't be both a CIC Officer and a member of the PRes. You would have to transfer out of the PRes to the CIC to become an CIC Officer.  Instead, you could help out at the Cadet unit as an NCM, with permission from your unit, if you wanted to stay in the PRes.

Join . . . JOIN NOW! Get paid for your weekends and decide if the regs are for you while you are still in high school.   As a former cadet this is what I did when I was 17. (The age to join the reserves back then.)   Of course, I liked the reserves so much (The $2000 / year post secondary benefit helps as well.   ;) ) that I stayed for the long run; and I'm still getting a pension!   ;D

Depending on your location to a reserve training base. Even with the opportunity of joining the reserves now, I'd never leave cadets.

In November I'm joining the reserves...then im going Reg

MCpl Saorse said:
Depending on your location to a reserve training base. Even with the opportunity of joining the reserves now, I'd never leave cadets.

thats why you do both!!

C-17 Globemaster said:
thats why you do both!!

I'd love to do both but Cadets are on Tuesdays and the reserves train on Tuesdays.

AS others have mentioned.. while Cadets is certainly something to be proud of, when I was going through ROTP (RMC) there were a significant amount of people coming through who came from Cadets.. many knew each other, and most were the "top" or "senior" cadets... with a plethora of awards, ranks, etc....  I think it took all of two hours on our first day for one of the DS to proclaim that he did not give a rats ---- who had been in Cadets, and that we were all in the real military now.

Well im glad that the "DS" said that, bring some of those cocky people backdown to Earth

yea when i parade with the reserves i pretend i don't know anything and just go with the flow. its easier that way. plus some of the reserves drill is different from whats learnt in cadets

C-17 Globemaster said:
yea when i parade with the reserves i pretend i don't know anything and just go with the flow. its easier that way. plus some of the reserves drill is different from whats learnt in cadets

Drill is the same, you where taught wrong (either in cadets or reserves).  Good idea to "play dumb" though.  I've seen many young soldiers, fall victim to the 'MCpl, when I was a cadet..." statement.

does front rank stick their arm out while doing right dress?...cause cadets do and my reserves regt. don't.. oh and like the procedure for filling in in front of the officer to recieve award/promotion in reserves is different from what i learnt in cadets. and plus you gotta learn c7 drill...which is really different from drill cadets do with the enfild  ???

C7 drill isn't that hard, its kinda like riding a bike once you got it you never forget it, well at least for some people...but ya some of the drill movements are different in the reserves/reg. Forces, like the right dress I noticed that too in one of my first nights parading with the reserves.  :cdn:

Back