• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadets Asked To Leave Mall

Meridian said:
You guys really do like to jump all over things half-cocked, don't you?

The security guys were just doing their jobs; when I worked mall security (part time, while in school), we had groups in all the time doing fundraising, and unfortunately, many groups (parents included) like to use kids in improper ways for "fundraising".  I wont go into details, but unfortunately, its an issue.

Are poppies a big deal? No. Not at all.  But when you are paid by mall management to do a job, which includes making sure only vendors or pre-approved community groups are conducting "activities", then you do your job.

Two things should have happend here:

1) The legion/corps should have called the mall. Since they own the property, and not the stores, they are in a position to speak for all the retailers and the owners.  And would have made sure the security guys knew.

2) The security guys should have gotten a boss on the phone.  Now, maybe they did, and couldn't reach a mall manager or whatever.  Tons of whatifs.

I DON'T KNOW WHO I AM MORE PISSED OFF WITH, THOSE CLOWNS OF SECURITY GUARDS OR YOU FOR THE ABOVE INSENSETIVE AND INAPPROPRIATE POST.

And to echo "Wes", I also think its a big deal.

Are poppies a big deal? No. Not at all.

With comments like this maybe you should go to your local legion,find a vet or just maybe go find one of the currently serving and give them a copy of this and let them tell you what they have to say about it!!

Meridian said:
You guys really do like to jump all over things half-cocked, don't you?

The security guys were just doing their jobs; when I worked mall security (part time, while in school), we had groups in all the time doing fundraising, and unfortunately, many groups (parents included) like to use kids in improper ways for "fundraising".  I wont go into details, but unfortunately, its an issue.

Are poppies a big deal? No. Not at all.  But when you are paid by mall management to do a job, which includes making sure only vendors or pre-approved community groups are conducting "activities", then you do your job.

Two things should have happend here:

1) The legion/corps should have called the mall. Since they own the property, and not the stores, they are in a position to speak for all the retailers and the owners.  And would have made sure the security guys knew.

2) The security guys should have gotten a boss on the phone.  Now, maybe they did, and couldn't reach a mall manager or whatever.  Tons of whatifs.

Sorry

I have to say that I think this post is in poor taste.

The reasonthat those kids are selling poppies is not a fundraising one...Also those 'kids' belong to an organization that is sponsored by a dept of the federal govt.

I don't think that the term vendor or community group really applies here, does it?

Slim said:
I don't think that the term vendor or community group really applies here, does it?

Why?

I presumed I will receive flakes for it, but here goes...
Aren't they receiving  some money in exchange
for the poppies? Isn't that selling ? It's not donating!
They are donating their time, but not the poppies...
It's not that because its related to a dep of the
governement that the action change nature, seem to me illogical.

On another subject, do you think/wish that Mike Bobbit will change
the color of the board the 11th ?

Édith : well, yes, give what you want doesn't sound like selling.
But when I'm giving, I'n not receiving anything in exchange,
except may be sometimes  a receipt for my return tax form (name?).

Vrys said:
Aren't they receiving  some money in exchange
for the poppies? Isn't that selling ? It's not donating!

From Legion.ca

My emphasis added..

Every year, approximately two weeks before Remembrance Day on November 11, The Royal Canadian Legion conducts its annual Remembrance - Poppy Campaign. The campaign is designed to raise funds for needy Canadian ex-service members and their dependents as well as Commonwealth veterans of World War II who may be eligible for assistance.

Poppies are distributed for donations. This venerable symbol of Remembrance is provided for public or personal display as either a lapel poppy, or as included in wreaths, crosses and sprays which are laid at cenotaphs or other memorials at home and abroad. In some instances, such as the case of school children, the poppies are distributed without donations being requested in order to foster the tradition of Remembrance in Canada.

The poppy is a symbol of tribute to the more than 117,000 Canadians who have died in the service
of the country, either in the military, the merchant navy or other war-time agencies which supported the war effort. Funds collected are held in trust and distributed in accordance with the rules established for the trusts. Branches or groups of branches can establish a trust fund and manage the funds accordingly. Remembrance material is manufactured commercially.

The history of the poppy and its significance can be found on the Legion's web site at www.legion.ca. More than 18 million poppies and 70,000 wreaths, crosses and sprays are distributed across Canada and overseas annually.

More than $7 million in campaign funds are also distributed annually.
Some of the activities supported are:

• Assistance to needy veterans and their dependents.
  • The purchase of community medical appliances and the provision of medical research bursaries to the children and grand children of veterans.
  • The funding of drop-in centres for adults, meals-on-wheels, transport and related services.
  • The purchase, construction and maintenance of housing and care facilities for the elderly
    and disabled.
  • 0peration of the Dominion Command Service Bureau

Just my two cents ....
When I was in cadets and took part in the poppy distrubution we were never paid it was a part of our duty as cadtes to take part in this important cause .i was asked many times what the price was and the response was always whatever you feel like giving .
As for Meridian if you can't say anything intelligent then keep your mouth shut and perhaps you should say the same thing to a vet at the Legion  just prepare to run and duck when you do

Cadets often help out local legions with the poppie drive, but we are not selling, or fundraising, we are simply accepting donations to help support veterans. The money received goes to the Legion, none of it goes to Cadets or Cadet corps. Throughout the training year cadets around Canada do volunteer time at a number of Legion functions and in return the local legions help support local corps (IE. providing a place to parade once a week, donating funds to the program etc...)

Imbeault said:
we are not selling, or fundraising, we are simply accepting donations to help

I always thought that accepting donations was part of fundraising.
I'm curious, what is it for you, since its not fundraising ?

Well its what our legion reps always tell us before we head out with the trays. They say that we are out to accept donations to support vets, but we are not to ask people if they would like to buy a poppy. As I understand it the poppies are technically free to anyone who wants one but who honestly isn't going to make a contribution.

And yes it is a privledge, over the last four years I've done 14 poppy drives in Fox Creek, Mayerthorpe, and Whitecourt AB and have been happy to be at every single one of them.

Imbeault said:
And yes it is a privledge, over the last four years I've done 14 poppy drives in Fox Creek, Mayerthorpe, and Whitecourt AB and have been happy to be at every single one of them.

Good for you Imbeault  :salute: Keep up the very good work  :salute:

paracowboy said:
Cadets. Selling poppies for the Legion.

Cadets.

Selling poppies.

For the Legion.

The Legion.

Hey, wasn't that in a commercial during the last federal election campaign?

Hahahahahaha! :rofl:

I bet even the fiberals are regretting that approach to trying to get elected now!

Neill McKay said:
Hey, wasn't that in a commercial during the last federal election campaign?

Oh God, I'm glad you caught me between sips of coffee on that one- it would have landed on my keyboard. :D

Bought my second poppy today, spoke for a little while with the gentleman from the legion who was sitting there with the tray in the Rideau Centre, just across from NDHQ. Turns out he's a Second World War veteran of an air force ground crew; nice man to talk to. He became much more cheerful when I mentioned I was in the forces- when I saw him at first he looked lonely and a little depressed- for the crowd walking by (without poppies, I'll add), not an impressive amount of people were stopping...

I sold poppies as a cadet, and regardless of whether I have one (or three) already I'll seldom pass someone selling poppies without at least stopping to talk, particularly if it's a legion member. Often I'll pick up another one for the hell of it; lots of real estate left on my backpack.

Wes, to clarify, I did indeed mean the statement to infer that it should not at all be a big deal to mall management or anyone else that cadets were selling poppies in the mall.

I fully support our vets, and our serving members, and fully support the idea and symbolism of the poppy, and agree with you that the poppy itself is a very big deal.  I will edit my post to more clearly elucidate my meaning, my apologies if I offended.

That said, I was only offering the other side of the coin. I recognize mall management apologized, and that they shouldl; in fact, I would hope that they would make a standing arrangement with the local cadet corps so that they are welcome to do any such awareness activities at any time.  But the security staff work for the mall, and, are by consequence, not able to act as private individuals.

For all we know, they could have received a memo just the day before, reminding them not to let any unannounced groups fundraise/present/build awareness; due to a completely unrelated incident a week earlier.  Having worked the job previously, this is a frequent message from management, and crossign such a line is immediate dismissal from these types of contractual jobs.

The point I was trying to make was that while I agree, the security staff could have had more tact (ie in the absence of not reaching mall management, using their discretion), we don't know the entirr story, and I think it unfair for everyone to unload on the security staff as useless and "rent-a-cops', and to essentially declare them guilty of having total disregard for the vets and everything they have done for our country and the world.

Again, I apologize to any vet on here (no longer or currently serving) who I may have offended with my comments; my intent was not to do so and I fully support your cause.

Hmph....
Over the last couple of years we have had incidents where legionairs have been booted out of pert much every chartered bank at one time or another (CIBC, RBC, BofM, RTD, BNS, the works).  It sucks when it happens but, once the dust settles, appologies are extended and Legionairs / Cadets are allowed back.

In a peevish way, it`s even good that this happens.  It makes people aware, it shakes em up and makes people think..... and thinking people is not a bad thing

IMHO

Imbeault said:
As I understand it the poppies are technically free to anyone who wants one but who honestly isn't going to make a contribution.

This was always explained to us very clearly. The poppes are free.

Any donations, however are most appreciated.

Yrys said:
I always thought that accepting donations was part of fundraising.
I'm curious, what is it for you, since its not fundraising ?

When a cadet unit fundraises, the money is used by them to pay for training, materials etc, they are using the funds to support themselves.

Poppy distribution has absolutely nothing to do with fundraising, as others have already mentioned.  I was shocked and appalled to read that you equated the two. 

Back