• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadets Asked To Leave Mall

super26

Inactive
Reaction score
Poppy-selling kids kicked out of mall
Last Updated: Monday, October 30, 2006 | 1:55 PM CT
CBC News
The Royal Canadian Legion says it's disappointed that children selling Remembrance Day poppies were asked to leave a Regina mall on Saturday.

The Army, Navy and Air Force Cadets were selling poppies at Southland Mall as they have also done at various other places around the city in recent days.

Security guards told them they needed permission to be there, then told them they would have to go.

According to Terry Duncan, branch president of the Legion, all stores had been notified by phone or e-mail that cadets would be at poppy stations over the weekend.

"The real unfortunate part is,the children that were out there," he said. "I don't think they received any type of a good message at all."

Karen Kozakavich, the property manager of the Southland Mall, has apologized to Duncan.

(typo in title fixed. Nothing to see here. Carry on. - pc)

Shame...but it does sound like an isolated incident. I hope that is the case.

:eek: This is crazy! Shame on them for telling the Cadets to leave. They may not be military, but they sure as hell deserve the respect as members of the military.  :salute:  :cdn:  :salute:

Mike_Baker said:
:eek: This is crazy! Shame on them for telling the Cadets to leave. They may not be military, but they sure as hell deserve the respect as members of the military.  :salute:  :cdn:  :salute:

To be honest it sounds like someone at the mall didn't get the word...that's all. A shame, but there are other battles to fight.

Slim said:
To be honest it sounds like someone at the mall didn't get the word...that's all. A shame, but there are other battles to fight.

Or possibly a power-tripping security guards. I can only hope that they weren't jerks to the kids, and that there wasn't a huge scene.

You would think that the Rent-A-Cop's would use some CDF.

Common

Dog

F - well this is a family show.  You figure it out  ;D

Well, I hope the mall does "something" to make up for it.  Harmless?  Maybe, maybe not.  Insulting?

I think so.  They were selling poppies for god sakes.  ::)

You get what you pay for, $6.00/hr high-school dropout Dirty Harry wannabees, thats my opinion. For those thinking of quiting school, do the right thing and stay in! Once upon a time I used to live in Regina, and not to far from the Southland Mall.

But, if this has happened around the city, there also might be a hidden anit-war agenda ongoing. This is a possibility, and perhaps should be briefly investigated by those 'in the know'.

In my entire life, I cannot ever think of a time the Cadets were ever asked to leave a public place selling poppies, especially in the nation's heartland.

I hope the Southland Mall is bombarded with complaints about this incident, and if you are from Regina reading this, ring them, ask for this female manager, and let her feel your concern.

Anyways Cadets, there is better places to go, and if you want to shop elsewhere, do it.

EDIT: Tell Southland how you feel ( I just did), but be polite and professional. Karen can be contacted on kkozakavich@riocan.com

Cheers,

Wes

I sure hope that I don't get that kind of a warm reception when I go out next weekend...  :mad:

Wesley 'Over There' (formerly Down Under) said:
Anyways Cadets, there is better places to go, and if you want to shop elsewhere, do it.

EDIT: Tell Southland how you feel ( I just did), but be polite and professional. Karen can be contacted on kkozakavich@riocan.com

Cheers,

Wes

Best two ways I know of to let them know how you feel in regards to this.... If naught else, and people stop shopping there over this then maybe the vendors in the mall who are losing funds will let ownership know about it.

Thanks for the good info Wes.

Chimo.

Mike_Baker said:

I have seen cadets that will never get a shred of respect from me. On the other hand the fact they were kicked out for selling poppies is outrageous!

youravatar said:
I have seen cadets that will never get a shred of respect from me.

I have seen soldiers in two armies both regular and reserve who were a complete waist of rations also. You only get out of it what you put into it. People are people, there is good and bad examples everywhere.

Those cadets were not kicked out for misbehaving.

Wes

You get what you pay for, $6.00/hr high-school dropout Dirty Harry wannabees, thats my opinion. For those thinking of quiting school, do the right thing and stay in! Once upon a time I used to live in Regina, and not to far from the Southland Mall.

But, if this has happened around the city, there also might be a hidden anit-war agenda ongoing. This is a possibility, and perhaps should be briefly investigated by those 'in the know'.

In my entire life, I cannot ever think of a time the Cadets were ever asked to leave a public place selling poppies, especially in the nation's heartland.

I hope the Southland Mall is bombarded with complaints about this incident, and if you are from Regina reading this, ring them, ask for this female manager, and let her feel your concern.

Cheers,

Wes
I have seen soldiers in two armies both regular and reserve who were a complete waist of rations also. You only get out of it what you put into it. People are people, there is good and bad examples everywhere.

Those cadets were not kicked out for misbehaving.

Wes
pretty much covers it all!
+1

The last part of the article wasn't posted, here it is.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2006/10/30/poppies.html
She admits security could have handled the situation better.

Duncan said Southland has invited the Legion back.

"Unfortunately, that can't be done this year," he said. "We're on a rigid schedule as to when things can be done."
Three Cadets can't return to collect donations?

PB&J said:
Three Cadets can't return to collect donations?

No, haven't you heard?  They're being rebadged to infantry and deploying with TF 235423....

youravatar said:
I have seen cadets that will never get a shred of respect from me. On the other hand the fact they were kicked out for selling poppies is outrageous!

I can say that for...Cadets (Army, Air, and Naval), Reservists (Army, Air and Naval) and Regular Force (Army, Air, and Naval).

remember, cadets ARE for the most part, kids.  Most of them are kids that aren't out setting homes and sheds on fire and pulling guns on people.

I would rather see a bunch of alittle boisterous cadets than punk a$$ street POSs in the mall...wouldn't you?

*edit - whoops!  Wes has already mowed that grass for us.  8)

Back