• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CadetPat field uniform

Status
Not open for further replies.
condor888000 said:
The real question is why would any cadet with smarts or more likely their own money pay double for the fake stuff when compared to what you pay for the old OD's?

With which you had better be wearing your slip ons I may add.

If you want to go by the rule of the CATO, smack them if they do. Especially since what is to prevent someone from going and buying some hunter gear from Canadian Tire and wearing the slip ons with that?

As both the fake CADPAT and the hunter gear is not a CF issue uniform, then no cadet should wear the slip ons, beret, wedge, tilley, or toque with them.

Got it?

You didn't answer my question...

And I wear OD's. You know that.

And yes I know the rule bible says differently. And don't get me started with the toque and when to wear it, so many people wear it to school etc.

Sometime Yoman your lack of reading amazes me. ;)

condor888000 said:
As both the fake CADPAT and the hunter gear is not a CF issue uniform, then no cadet should wear the slip ons, beret, wedge, tilley, or toque with them.

It doesn't matter my opinion. It doesn't matter your opinion. The CATO's clearly state that if a cadet is wearing civillian look alikes, then the slip ons shall not be worn. Its in black and white, that is what you do. Plain and simple.

So, yes, the cadet should not be permitted to wear the slip ons.

Couldn't you all just leave CADPAT, real or fake, the heck alone? You know it's a hot potato, why bother? You have CADETPAT so wear it and leave the other uniform out of the fray. PROVE to em that it is legal for you to have in your possession and wear CADPAT and the discussion can continue, otherwise methinks this dead horse is starting to stink.

Strike said:
Scott,

I thought it prudent to put in that bit of info (ref the article and NIS investigations) for two reasons:

1.  PViddy mentioned something on the last page about being permitted to wear CADPAT.
2.  There was no mention about the illegality of purchasing said type of garment, which was officially brought to the public eye a few days ago.

As there were already several posts relating to CADPAT, I didn't think I would get jumped on so fiercely about this small bit of advice.

Don't think I was fierce in jumping on anyone, however I do apologize if I made you feel that way - not my intent.

This whole CADETPAT vs OD combats is really not a new issue.  We see this everyday in the reg and res.  Someone would rather pay a few extra dollars for civvie kit that they deem to be a better quality (or even for something that looks cooler) when the issue kit does the job just as well.  I'm guilty of it myself.  I would much rather use my MEC sleeping bag (synthetic, smaller cut, and has an attached hood) than the issued down one.

So, you guys aren't alone in this debate.  It is the same one that you see in numerous threads in equipment on this site.

Perhaps someone could shed some light on something.  Are the cadets with cadetpat allowed to wear cadpat slip ons?  I have been told that its not allowed by some people yet other people say its ok, and the CSMs in Vernon wore them as well.  Some people say its ok as long as the "Canada" badge wasn't sewn onto it, I'm not sure who to listen too  ::)

ryanmann356 said:
Perhaps someone could shed some light on something.  Are the cadets with cadetpat allowed to wear cadpat slip ons?  I have been told that its not allowed by some people yet other people say its ok, and the CSMs in Vernon wore them as well.  Some people say its ok as long as the "Canada" badge wasn't sewn onto it, I'm not sure who to listen too  ::)
No

You are required to wear your dress slip on, with the gold embroidered rank.

The reason the CSMs at Vernon did, was because the Cadetpat slip ons they had were garbage and ended up in the Vernon dump, so the Camp RSM authorised them to wear the CADPAT ones with the CANADA tab, for the whole 24 hours they wore the Cadetpat uniforms.

ouyin2000 said:
No

The reason the CSMs at Vernon did, was because the Cadetpat slip ons they had were garbage and ended up in the Vernon dump, so the Camp RSM authorised them to wear the CADPAT ones with the CANADA tab, for the whole 24 hours they wore the Cadetpat uniforms.

So for 24 hours there were no dark green and gold embroidered CADET rank slip-ons?

ouyin2000 said:
No

hmm interesting.  I've seen the kind of cadetpat material at Wallmart, I wonder if one made a slip on out of the material and sewd on an OD rank insignia if that would be ok to wear?

Kyle Burrows said:
So for 24 hours there were no dark green and gold embroidered CADET rank slip-ons?
According to the Camp RSM, you're correct.

I did not say he was right.

Ryanman: Before the ACICO for Vancouver Island gave us the order that "no CADPAT is to be worn by cadets", I had a couple of cadets get a hold of blank slip ons (most likely from eBay), and have them embroidered with their rank and CADET in OD thread.

I think that an OD rank badge on a CADPAT slip on would look kind of ugly.

ouyin2000 said:
I think that an OD rank badge on a CADPAT slip on would look kind of ugly.

It would be more effective than a full dress epaulette, with the gold sewing

Piper said:
More effective for WHAT?

Wait, nevermind. I know where this is going.

Ha ha ha ha... but doesn't it make you laugh?

There is nothing anywhere that would imply CADPAT slip ons are authorized, and there are RCI's in some regions that say they are explicitly disallowed, or through implication Cadet's are told not to use them.

RSCU (Pac) demands a brassard if I'm not mistaken. I haven't read it in awhile.

Effective for what?

What are you trying to hide from that you can't take 10 seconds to take off the slip on and put it in your pocket?

Piper said:
More effective for WHAT?
Wait, nevermind. I know where this is going.

fine, bad choice of words. ::)
I NEVER implied that wearing a cadpat slip on was authorized, I was asking if it was, and that since my last post, has been cleared up.

ouyin2000 said:
Effective for what?

What are you trying to hide from that you can't take 10 seconds to take off the slip on and put it in your pocket?

Thats fine, you could do that to but what I meant was, it would be nice to have something that didnt stick out like a sore thumb on your uniform, the full dress slip ons are ugly enough without having them on the combat uniform.  Feel free to disagree if you like em, but I dont.  Have you ever seen a reg/reserve member wearing a full dress slip on, on his cadpat uniform?  The dress slip ons dont look right on the combats.

ryanmann356 said:
Have you ever seen a reg/reserve member wearing a full dress slip on, on his cadpat uniform?  The dress slip ons dont look right on the combats.
This is another one of those Identification Issues. The reason you are required to wear the dress slip ons is so you can be easily picked out of a crowd.

As Dane said, Pac Region (doesn't demand) allows cadets to wear an OD brassard on OD combats, with the OD rank badge and unti badge(s).

ouyin2000 said:
This is another one of those Identification Issues.

Perhaps if they made badges that say "cadet" instead of "Canada" on the camouflaged slip ons?

Am I wrong or are you guys starting to argue the aesthetic appeal of slip on's? Are you guys considering fashion sense here? Do you not want to clash?  ;D

I'm thinking, right now, of the part of Good Morning Vietnam when Robin Williams is doing a monologue about a, very obviously, gay military fashion designers.

He was going on about how soldiers should take the fashion risk and clash.

I apologize if I offended any fashion designers.  ;D

ryanmann356 said:
Perhaps if they made badges that say "cadet" instead of "Canada" on the camouflaged slip ons?
You can find OD combat slip on tabs that say CADET. The canteen at Vernon Army CSTC sells them, and i'm sure your SupO could get a hold of some. You might want to check in the CATOs as well as your regional orders first, though, to see exactly what you're allowed to wear.

I've seen them once and I've never been able to get a hold of any.  I think it might just be something somebody had made so that they could sell them like the baseball caps.  I could be wrong though.

IIRC, the dress slip on was worn on the old garrison jacket.

Someone a bit, ahem, older than me should be able to clarify that for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back