• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Burglar Beaten With His Own Bat. Victim Charged

When officers arrived on scene, police said, they learned a male clerk was helping a customer when a second man entered the store, demanded money, and brandished a baseball bat.

A struggle ensued and the clerk was struck by the bat before he grabbed it away from the suspect, police said.

According to police, when the suspect fled the store, the clerk allegedly followed him to the sidewalk and struck him “several times” with the bat.

The 37-year-old suspect suffered head injuries, the extent of which were not disclosed by police, and was transported to a Toronto hospital. The 22-year-old clerk was also treated on scene by paramedics, police said.

It sounds as if the initial strike caused bodily harm to the clerk and, having disarmed the robber, the clerk chased him "to" the sidewalk. I would read that as meaning the sidewalk outside the entrance.

Peterboro.jpg

I believe that to be the store and the sidewalk in question.

The suspect suffered head injuries and is in a Toronto hospital receiving treatment while the 22-year-old clerk was treated at the scene by EMS, police say.

As a result of the investigation, an arrest warrant was issued for the 37-year-old man, who is wanted for robbery, assault with a weapon and possession of a weapon.

That's confusing. The suspect was sent to the hospital where they receive treatment, and now the police are looking for him?

Shouldn't the police have someone watching him at the hospital?

That's confusing. The suspect was sent to the hospital where they receive treatment, and now the police are looking for him?

Shouldn't the police have someone watching him at the hospital?
It might be just to retain jurisdiction. If he was taken to a local hospital then airlifted to a Toronto trauma centre then whisked into surgery and now resides in ICU/NICU, they haven't had the chance to have him in custody. The Toronto cops - even the P'boro cops if they get detailed to head down - need grounds. A warrant is the cleanest way to do that.

Edit: As others have mentioned, there are a lot of details we don't know. The 'citizen's arrest' sections were amended a few years ago after a Toronto store owner tried to arrest a thief some time and distance from when the suspect was in his store. Hopefully, the clerk is able to articulate that 'yes, I was trying to arrest him at the time'.

I mean if I had to chase someone for 5 min, he’s definitely getting a beating then…
This reminds me of a story from a few years ago where a burglar broke in to an Indian household in Brampton and threatened a family only to have the Father arrive home and beat the thief to an inch of losing his life with a cricket bat.

The Father pled guilty and told the Judge he had no remorse, didn't give a damn and his only mistake was not killing the Robber.

I think he got sent to Jail for a bit... I'll try and find an article about it because I believe it was almost a decade ago.

Somewhat related, if you can go to jail for defending yourself after HAVING BEEN STABBED IN THE HEAD, then this guy has no hope:

The issue as I see it is the clerk left the store after he had fended off the criminal and then beat him - in other words the threat was no longer present. Kinda like if your ROE says once they turn tail and run away you can't shoot them in the back.

The issue as I see it is the clerk left the store after he had fended off the criminal and then beat him - in other words the threat was no longer present. Kinda like if your ROE says once they turn tail and run away you can't shoot them in the back.
The ROE was misinterpreted, as clearly they where just withdrawing to a new fighting position and then still a threat.

I'm surprised at how callous many on this site have become, which maybe is an indicator of the negative effects military service has on the psyche. I fully understand the frustration store employees, and this may not have been the first time this individual and his store was targeted, maybe even by the same individual. But at the end of the day, its just stuff. I would not take another person's life just because I was deprived of some replaceable items. And you can argue that the crook needed to be taught a lesson so they wouldn't do it again. Fine, take that stance, but be ready to accept the consequences, that's all. Most human life has value, and we shouldn't be so callous to think that it doesn't. Because there may be a day where we aren't on the winning side of a conflict, and we'll be deemed to be the criminals who someone else thinks deserve to be punished.

I'm surprised at how callous many on this site have become, which maybe is an indicator of the negative effects military service has on the psyche. I fully understand the frustration store employees, and this may not have been the first time this individual and his store was targeted, maybe even by the same individual. But at the end of the day, its just stuff. I would not take another person's life just because I was deprived of some replaceable items. And you can argue that the crook needed to be taught a lesson so they wouldn't do it again. Fine, take that stance, but be ready to accept the consequences, that's all. Most human life has value, and we shouldn't be so callous to think that it doesn't. Because there may be a day where we aren't on the winning side of a conflict, and we'll be deemed to be the criminals who someone else thinks deserve to be punished.
I agree. Remember the recent story in the states where a man robbed a restaurant, and then as the thief was leaving the store, a customer stood up and shot him? He then walked over to his body and executed him, but that's besides the point. You see it all the time in the states; a video of perhaps someone robbing a store (with or without a gun) and a "good Samaritan" pulling their own gun and shooting him. I'm all for self defence, but like you sad, it's just stuff. Why is your stuff worth more than someone's life? Worse, why is someone ELSE's stuff (the cash at a restaurant, the products at a store, etc) worth more to you then that person's life?

I greatly value human life, and I don’t aim to take lives indiscriminately.

I however don’t have a lot of sympathy for people who prey on others. I believe that poor decisions have consequences, and negative feedback for those actions is necessary to deter the continuation of those actions as well as to discourage others from that sort of activity.

WRT “just stuff”, well it’s someone’s property, and criminals who take it are doing harm to the owners, as well as potential injury to the owner and others, I believe that everyone has an inherent right to protect themselves, others and their property. When you say it’s replaceable, that just diminishes the value of people’s property- sometimes it isn’t or it would be replaced at great cost (time, efforts, money).

In the case of this robber, honestly fuck him, he came in an attacked the store clerk with a bat. Had I been there during the attack I’d have shot him and not given it much thought. He relinquished his right to life when he made the initial assault. A bat when used as a weapon is deadly weapon, and as such lethal force can be articulated as reasonable to stop the attack. Now the clerk being in Canada wasn’t armed, nor was LE present.

Personally the fact that the clerk got the bat and returned the favor to me, seems fair.
Now I can understand the legal implications of continuing the attack once the threat is gone, but without a detailed breakdown of the circumstances, and what little we know, I’m not going to blame the clerk.

@Lumber I would agree that executing an injured criminal goes to far, unless there is a pressing reason that justifies it. Yes I can come up with several scenarios that sort of action would be appropriate.

But at the end of the day, its just stuff.
You’re pre-judging the clerk’s motivation.

Maybe the clerk took it personally, the actions against their person? Maybe they felt that a defence external to the store against re-entry was still a thing?

So many people say “it’s just stuff…” to dismiss actions against assailants.

About a year ago, a family member was standing in a convenience store beside “just stuff” and was stabbed by a robber. They conducted initial/post-stabbing defence of themselves and other customers in the immediate vicinity, but quickly became hors de combat while others drove the robber from the store, but they said later that if they could have (physically), they would have thought seriously about pursuing and kicking the snot out of the perp…so I am certainly not going to sit comfortably at a keyboard dwell after the fact and judge that said clerk should never have crossed the threshold of the store’s entrance to do whatever it is he did.

Fortunately(ish), for my family member, the physical injury was relatively minor (all things considered when it comes to being stabbed) and resolved at hospital shortly after the robbery/assault, but there also remains the enduring psychological effect of such invasive actions by robbers/assaulters/etc. - a reason why I will never be part of the group that applies a remote black-white judgement of ‘the victim should have…[insert armchair-approved action]…instead of [insert real-life action].

Online opinions vary.

When I worked part-time at Brinks, primarily as a CZ driver, the gun licence said, "For protection of life".

There was a guy from the old "flap" style holster days who taped back the safety strap on his more modern holster.

I thought it was to speed his "quick draw".

But, he said it was so when he had his hands up, that made it more convenient for the robbers to relieve him of his .38 :)

My issue is with the responses to the OP about why the clerk was in trouble and being charged. If someone wants retribution, revenge, or even if they think what they are doing is morally right, and make the decision to act, then as long as they are willing to accept the consequences without making up excuses I normally wouldn't pass judgment on them.

My issue is with the responses to the OP about why the clerk was in trouble and being charged. If someone wants retribution, revenge, or even if they think what they are doing is morally right, and make the decision to act, then as long as they are willing to accept the consequences without making up excuses I normally wouldn't pass judgment on them.
Fair enough.

To each, their own lens.

If you an owner of a small convenience store and you get robbed, every, single day (it is just stuff, right?) to the point where you may lose your business, maybe lose your house and be unable to feed your own family, is it still ”just stuff”?

If someone threatens you with a baseball bat, that is way, way beyond harmless.

If our judicial system actually took crime, punishment and rehabilitation seriously, maybe ordinary people would not suddenly feel like they have to take matters into there own hands.

Maybe the shopkeeper should not have followed the guy out of the store. Or maybe there is more to the story. I’m willing to to give the guy some leeway.

I agree. Remember the recent story in the states where a man robbed a restaurant, and then as the thief was leaving the store, a customer stood up and shot him? He then walked over to his body and executed him, but that's besides the point. You see it all the time in the states; a video of perhaps someone robbing a store (with or without a gun) and a "good Samaritan" pulling their own gun and shooting him. I'm all for self defence, but like you sad, it's just stuff. Why is your stuff worth more than someone's life? Worse, why is someone ELSE's stuff (the cash at a restaurant, the products at a store, etc) worth more to you then that person's life?
Come work in a jail and please tell us how we rehabilitate them.
Most of them incarcerated are repeat offenders, violent and could give a rats ass about their victims.

Come work in a jail and please tell us how we rehabilitate them.

When I worked part-time at the Don, I didn't try to understand them, let alone rehabilitate. Just counted heads and turned keys.

Back