• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British researchers create human-animal hybrid embryo amid political row

Yrys

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
British researchers create human-animal hybrid embryo amid political row

LONDON (AFP) - For the first time in Britain, researchers at Newcastle University said Tuesday they had created human-animal hybrid embryos, amid
a political row over a disputed embryo research bill in parliament.

According to the northern English university, the research, which was first presented at a lecture in Tel Aviv on March 25, has yet to be published or verified, with
a spokesman for the university telling AFP that the institution "wouldn't claim it to be final at all." The revelation comes with British MPs engaged in a fierce battle
over the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill, which allows the creation of human-animal hybrid embryos for medical research.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown's governing Labour Party conceded in March that its party lawmakers with moral or ethical objections would be allowed to vote against
parts of the proposed legislation when it comes before parliament this year.

The embryos were created by injecting DNA taken from human skin cells into eggs derived from cow ovaries with almost all their genetic material stripped away,
and lasted for three days in a laboratory.

The Newcastle University spokesman said that the research would likely be published in "months rather than weeks". At present, researchers wanting to create such
embryos have to apply for a license from the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority, which currently regulates the practice in Britain, and hybrid embryos have
to be destroyed after 14 days.

The government says that the scientific advantages of allowing the creation of hybrid embryos for research purposes could help millions of people to recover from
illness or disease.

Religious leaders, however, have argued against the bill, with the leader of Catholics in Scotland, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, using his Easter Sunday sermon to brand
the bill a "monstrous attack on human rights, human dignity and human life" which will allow experiments of "Frankenstein proportion".

Link

I wonder if that thing, allowing human-animal hybrid embryo to be created , is one of those where the limits will be pushed , from 14 days to , say, a few months.

Abortion have now different time limit, depending of country. There was a French program, some weeks ago, about a country in Europe where women
get an "abortion" at 32 weeks.

This reminds me of the movie called "The Island of Dr. Moreau". If they experiment further than this, who knows what monstrousities they can come up with?  :eek:  ::)

CougarDaddy said:
This reminds me of the movie called "The Island of Dr. Moreau". If they experiment further than this, who knows what monstrousities they can come up with?  :eek:  ::)

It reminds me of it too, except that we"re not in a movie, we can't predict what could come out of it. The ones in the book and movie were not that bad
compare to what reality may hold in the future ...

I just finished this book titled "Next" by Michael Crichton.  He claims to use a blend of fact and fiction as usual to make a story that covers this subject and the whole gene issue.  It was interesting and entertaining and does make one wonder at what sort of experiments are being tried out there.

http://www.michaelcrichton.net/books-next-history.html

At the risk of being cynical, I wonder what the significance of the article being published on 1 April is.

Edit: Or is it all an odd coincidence?

Old Sweat said:
At the risk of being cynical, I wonder what the significance of the article being published on 1 April is.

Edit: Or is it all an odd coincidence?

It seems to be a coincidence. Their website : The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority :

The Authority made a decision about the policy for licensing of human-animal hybrid research at its open Authority meeting of 5 September.

Oh for god sakes guys! The article was posted on 1 April  "April Fool's"!!!! Gotcha!!!

LCIS-Tech said:
Oh for god sakes guys! The article was posted on 1 April  "April Fool's"!!!! Gotcha!!!

Did you go to their web site ? It is too elaborate for an April Fool's. They were mostly single press release (April Fool's).
If one has been "punk" here, it may be you, into thinking it's not truth.

Not 4 press releases, longs reports ( Hybrids Policy -Final  Report (895 Kb) and Hybrids and Chimeras (888 Kb) ) , 5 audio files, videos post on youtube for "Public dialogue", and papers on the process of the consultation ...

Their website : The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority :

Hybrids and Chimeras

* Authority decision
    * About the Consultation
    * Public dialogue
    * Public event
    * Final report
    * Press releases
    * Further information

Read more:

* A summary of the Authority's decsion can be found in the final report (pdf).
    * Read the press statement
    * Read the Authority minutes detailing the decision (pdf)
    * Download the Authority meeting papers detailing seperate elements from the consultation (item 8)

About the Consultation

The HFEA recently held a consultation on the ethical and social implications of creating human/animal embryos in research.

Hybrids and Chimeras Consultation document

Hybrids and Chimeras (888 Kb)
Researchers around the world are using stem cells from human embryos in research to develop their understanding of a number of different diseases. Many scientists now believe that embryonic stem cells may also, in future, lead to new therapies.

Public dialogue

During May twelve deliberative groups were held across the UK to help the HFEA to explore and understand public perceptions, motivations and attitudes to hybrid research. Half the participants of these groups were subsequently invited to attend a day long event, held in the first week of June.

In early July, an opinion poll will be carried out to further explore public opinion on this issue.

Public event

On Tuesday 26th June the HFEA held a public event to discuss the issues raised through the Hybrids and Chimeras consultation.

The event was chaired by TV's Nick Ross and a panel made up of:

* Dr Lyle Armstrong - Lecturer in Stem Cell biology, University of Newcastle
    * Rev. Dr. Stephen Bellamy - Vicar of St. James' church Birkdale, Southport
    * Josephine Quintavalle - Co-founder of Comment on Reproductive Ethics (CORE)
    * Christine Young - Special Parkinson's Research Interest Group
    * John Cornwell - Director of the Science and Human Dimension Project at Jesus College, Cambridge and regular writer for The Tablet

The discussion was wide and varied with a mix of questions from the floor and polling questions.

Some of the key issues raised were;

* Whether or not the research is necessary given therapeutic advances made in stem cell research to date have been from adult and cord blood stem cells.
    * The notion of boundaries in science and whether or not this type of research crosses a boundary in the species divide.
    * The efficacy of the proposed research, exploring if it is indeed possible, and if so how applicable research findings from hybrid embryos would be to human beings.
    * The use of potential treatments when animals have been used in their production or research.
    * Whether or not the moral and ethical reasons not to pursue the research outweigh the potential benefits it might bring.

Audio files

You can listen to the debate by downloading the following audio mp3 files:

Meeting introduction (6.6 Mb)

Panel introduction (2.2 Mb)

Part 1 (12.6 Mb)

Part 2 (12.9 Mb)

Part 3 (12.6 Mb)

Final Report

Report coverThe findings of the consultation and the decision made by the Authority on 5 September 2007 are summarised in the following report:

Hybrids Policy -Final  Report (895 Kb)

Press releases

* 11-01-2007: Press Statement Regarding Human-Animal Hybrid Research
    * 26-04-2007: Should we allow the creation of human/animal embryos?
    * 05-09-2007 HFEA statement on its decision regarding hybrid embryos
    * 09-01-2008: HFEA Statement on licensing of applications to carry out research using human-animal cytoplasmic hybrid embryos

Further information

If you have any questions about the consultation please contact:

Helen Coath
Policy Manager

Yrys

You may be correct, but consider:

a. the Brits often spend a lot of time and effort on creating elaborate April's Fool stories, for example the flying penguins; and

b. if this was a legitimate story, the mass media would have been all over it like a dirty shirt.

Let's see what happens.

Old Sweat,

Before thinking it's a prank, I will wait for a debunk statement.

a) Yes, for people that aren't suppose to have sense of humour (they are repute for their rigide stand), they do spend a lot of time into prank.

b) What media may or may not pick is someitmes a mystery to me. Example : in the French media, they're all over the statement of Mr. Paul Watson, activist.
He said that the slaughter of young seals is a greater tragedy then the deaths of the hunters.I had some difficulty into finding the same subject in English, even
he's an anglophone working for what seems to be an anglophone organisation (Sea Shepherd Conservation Society).

1) Press release of 11-01-2007 was report in others media (http://www.gene.ch/genet/2007/Jan/msg00043.html) ,  blog (http://lawnscience.blogspot.com/2007/01/comments-requested-on-human-animal.html) , and parliement web site ( http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200607/cmselect/cmsctech/272/27207.htm )

2) Press release of  26-04-2007 was also report : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6978384.stm

3) Press release of 05-09-2007 was reflected upon in an organisation that has stakes in the think : Muscular dystrophy ( http://www.muscular-dystrophy.org/research/research_news/hfea_reaches.html)

4) Press release of 09-01-2008 was report on a scientific web site : Science Daily ( http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080118102223.htm )

Still think it's a prank ? Don't you think that a year preparation with such collaboration and no one whistling the whistle is a bit much ?

I'm sorry, but it's real. I don't know if I approve of it or not, didn't read all the informations. But I don't like it a bit. And I'm not sure why, but it disgust me.

You have convinced me. Good job!

I am not conflicted about this. I also don't like it one little bit. Cloning or inserting/manipulating genes to fight disease is one thing; screwing with life is another.

- On the plus side, this could solve our recruiting problems.

"C'mon youse animals - ya wanna live forever?"

Old Sweat said:
You have convinced me. Good job!

Thank you. Alto  I would have prefer a prank, you know.

Old Sweat said:
I am not conflicted about this. I also don't like it one little bit. Cloning or inserting/manipulating genes to fight disease is one thing; screwing with life is another.

I'm not conflict about it either. I just don't know what they are doing, and not interested at the moment to read what is it, it is disgusting me to much. I just don't know
if I am for it or not as I don't know what are theirs hopes for use in sickness. (Eating head of dead cows disgust me, but I don't care much) I see too many potentials of sliding it in. For me, they're not screwing with life yet, but screwing with what is a human being.

I could almost see it in the beginning of an horror flick : pictures of news papers article with a voice over saying that it was the beginning of the end,
but they (humans) didn't see it .

TCBF,

We forget it in the day-to-day, but we are animals  ...

We are in the family of "apes"...

I've always looked at this gene-manipulation stuff as one of those "pandora's box" situations.

Now that this has been discovered, it cannot be undiscovered.  As hard as some might try to ban science like this, there is no way of stopping it.  If we're not doing it then someone else will be.

It's dangerous to try and put this away and pretend like it never happened.  What happens if some other country with fewer moral scruples finds a way to weaponize this technology?  Biological weapons are just the tip of the iceberg, I think.  I also believe that this kind of bio-technology will have a similar effect as nuclear technology has - helping to shape the world's  balance of power.

The question should not be "How are we going to stop this?" It should be "How do we use this to our advantage?"

Wonderbread said:
The question should not be "How are we going to stop this?" It should be "How do we use this to our advantage?"

- Now, you've got me thinking: I think we should consider a military point of view.  Suppose the Russkies stashed away a couple of big 'monster' labs underground to work on this 'monster' stuff.  They could be way ahead of us already. It would be idiotic of us not to stash away a couple of underground monster labs of our own.

- We must not allow a 'monster lab' gap!

(With apologies to "Dr. Strangelove")

;D

CougarDaddy said:

I was going to say the same thing, although I would have said "the novel" instead of "the movie".  :) 

Now, I have to wonder. What if a couple of people were dead set against gene and embryo research and manipulation. What if the researchers found something extrordinary and useful. What if those two people were parents that tried forever to have a child and were finally blessed with one. What if that child took fataly ill and the only way to save it was with the new experimental treatment.

I wonder how many parents would change their tune, instead of taking the chance of losing the only child they can have?

The world is full of righteous indignation and condemnation of others and their ideas.

Until it becomes personal.

It would be a no brainer for me.

Just a 'what if' thought.

Good point Recceguy, well made.

Firstly, may I say that it is very interesting to read all your opinions on this issue.

Secondly, Yrys, with reference to your statement…
Yrys said:
a) Yes, for people that aren't suppose to have sense of humour (they are repute for their rigide stand), they do spend a lot of time into prank.

British people actually have excellent senses of humour – just very different to your own, perhaps, some might say, on a more sophisticated level?

Also, the 14-day limit will not be extended because that is the point at which the primitive steak begins to develop and it is agreed by the stem cell community that ALL embryos used in research must be destroyed.  No scientist has ever expressed a desire to continue cultivating embryonic stem cells past this stage.

So before your imaginations run wild, conjuring up images of hybrids like Minotaur and other such mythical creatures or ‘monsters’, you may like to know some things about cytoplasmic hybrid (human-animal) embryos…  They are being created because there simply aren’t enough human eggs available to create embryos for research purposes - there aren’t even enough to satisfy the huge waiting lists for egg donations used in IVF!

Cytoplasmic hybrid embryos are created through the transfer of human genetic material into animal ova by cell nuclear replacement. The nucleus of an adult cell (usually a skin cell) is implanted in to an enucleated animal egg (original nucleus has been extracted).  Consequently all nuclear animal DNA is removed, but the mitochondrial DNA present in the animal egg remains, though this amounts to LESS THAN 1% of the total DNA – the embryos is over 99% human, the animal egg is just a shell in a way.

Finally, the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority is regarded by medical professionals as one of the best regulatory systems in the world, “able to balance scientific development and ethical issues with confidence and vision” and “provide a permissive, but strictly regulated environment” - Professor Hui Sheng (of Shanghai Jiao Tong University, School of Medicine, China)

I hope this has helped you understand a little more so you can make a more informed opinion of this type of research  :D

Also, the 14-day limit will not be extended because that is the point at which the primitive steak begins to develop and it is agreed by the stem cell community that ALL embryos used in research must be destroyed.  No scientist has ever expressed a desire to continue cultivating embryonic stem cells past this stage.

I'm not worried about the good guys making Minotaurs.  Its the mad scientists that scare me.

Thanks for the post though. I've learned something new today. ;D

Wonderbread said:
Now that this has been discovered, it cannot be undiscovered.  As hard as some might try to ban science like this, there is no way of stopping it.  If we're not doing it then someone else will be.

It's dangerous to try and put this away and pretend like it never happened.  What happens if some other country with fewer moral scruples finds a way to weaponize this technology?  Biological weapons are just the tip of the iceberg, I think.  I also believe that this kind of bio-technology will have a similar effect as nuclear technology has - helping to shape the world's  balance of power.

You know i'm pretty sure Iran has these embryonic weapons, we should probably invade them.  We must stop the terrorist from obtaining these weapons of mass unethicalness!

Back