• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BOTC - Aug 27th, anyone going??

Avro_Arrow_1976 said:
Yes conflicting reports of the 26th and the 27th. The message does say the 26th, but Borden told one of our members here to show up on Sunday the 26th. What would going on the Saturday accomplish? Why would they start a course on the Sunday?

Borden? you are not going to St Jean?

Well, I am assuming I will be there.

Two weeks ago I received a call from the local recruiter and I was made an offer of employment. At the time I was told I would go off to St. Jean on August 27th and begin training as an Officer Cadet.

But, I have yet to here from him concerning my induction date and I have not received any information via email, phone or mail. I have contacted the recruitment centre but have yet to hear back.

So...ultimately, I might be there on August 27th. But, I have a suspicion that there is a problem with my file and I might not.

Took about 2 and one half weeks to get my fancy letter and big info package after I got my call so it could still be in the works.

Congrats I am sure I will see you there!

What branch and position have you accepted an offer for?

Hey Ashley,

Just to let you know, I have not yet received my package yet either (and I got my call in May!). I was talking to a recruiter and she told me my package was sent out yesterday.

My recruiting centre (CFRC Halifax) has had an extremely large number of recruits going though lately due to the ROTP people, among others, who need to get their paperwork straight ASAP. Keep in mind that it is summer, and many people are on vacation.

If you can't get a hold of anyone at the RC, I suggest calling when they start work (8am) --that is when I had the best luck reaching people.

See you in St. Jean

Jason

I accepted a CEOTP position as an Infantry Officer.

You are probably right and the delay is most likely due to it being summer and the need to get the ROTP's sorted out first.

In some respect, I think my concerns about me application stem from the fact I was not expecting to be selected as soon as I was. When I had my interview, the recruiter told me I had just missed the current selection period and I would be included in the next one; to be held most likely in the Fall. So, when I received a call near the end of June I was a bit surprised. I jumped at the chance to serve and accepted the offer.

I am rather concerned about going off to BMOQ as I am nowhere near fit. If I were to go off to St. Jean tomorrow I think I would probably get kicked out upon arrival. I am going to have to hit the gym a minimum of 6 days a week until I go off to St. Jean. Even then I will be rather overweight but my cardio will be better and I will hopefully be able to do more than one push-up. 

I also just accepted a CEOTP position but as an Artillery Officer.  Hope to see everyone there in August.

I just dropped off my app for CEOTP today ;)  Kinda jealous of all you guys, but wouldn't mind a bit of a delay in starting, just would prefer an offer sooner :) Its just so much easier not having to cancel leases, and such on short notice.

The CFRC mentioned that if everything clears through fast enough, you never know.. it isn't August yet!  They also mentioned recently that it happens quite frequently that people back out at the last minute and dont show up/etc, and they try and course load....  dont know how that works, but seems interesting!

For sure!  Can't wait!  I'm not sure how many of us from Halifax there are, but I think there are a few of us at least!  Getting excited?!

Yeah, I'm totally pumped!  Feels like I've been waiting forever, and still a month to go before the course starts. :) 

See ya this Wednesday!

I got my offer back June but I haven't got a package yet either.  I am being sworn in this Thursday in Toronto.  When I received my offer, I was told to bring birth certificates, mortgage info, etc to the CFRC sometime before being sworn in.  Did anyone else get similar instructions?

Port Hope said:
Did anyone else get similar instructions?

This isnt meant as a dig towards you specificaly, but i have to ask since i see that type of question many times on this site :

What does it matter if anyone else got similar instructions ?  You were told to bring all that, just do it !!

Port Hope said:
I got my offer back June but I haven't got a package yet either.   I am being sworn in this Thursday in Toronto.  When I received my offer, I was told to bring birth certificates, mortgage info, etc to the CFRC sometime before being sworn in.  Did anyone else get similar instructions?

You mean when you got the phone call you were told to bring a birth certificate and mortgage information??? That seems strange. I can understand the birth certificate part even though I wasn't asked for it....but why would they need your mortgage information? I know if you already have a lease on a place they need that so they can put in the paper work to NOT charge you for your board when you are at basic.

But as aviator says if they tell you to do something just do it.

You kinda got me worried now I was never told to bring any of those things when I got the phone call of job offer and the package I received didn't mention any of those either. Now I'm wondering if they told me those things and I just forgot about them. ( It has been a long time since the call came) Oh no.....I better call the CFRC and double check.

I'll be there with you guys one of the many from the ranks types that will be there, let me say from experience, bring everything, mortgage, lease, all that stuff, otherwise you'll end up paying rations and quarters, for those who are married, bring your marriage cert with you (I can't confirm off the top of my head but you may be entitled to seperation expense) Me I had a copy of my PERS file made to take with me out to ST Jean. Trust me its better to have more documnentation than you need than not enough.

Just some a wee bit of advice here folks...on timings, Cdn Aviator and some of the folks with TI have covered the admin aspect.

Keep in mind, in the military, when you are going from "Point A" (in this case, your home/hometown) to "Point B" (in the case, the Mega in St-Jean) that...the unit that is sending you (in this case, unless you are a CFR type, that would be your CFRC) sends what is called an ETA Message to the unit you are heading to.

Different CFRCs/units may or will or have given out different RFD Dates (Report for Duty) on courses...just because you are told to show up Saturday and someone else is told Sunday doesn't mean you still don't have to be there Sunday.  Now, every course is different but I can tell you my 9'r, their course had to RFD NLT 1400 on the Saturday...that was the instructions passed on to them.  Some people tried the "oh I thought it was Sunday" game.  The course is rough, but stupid stuff can make it rougher.

And this "the course doesn't start until Monday" stuff is for the birds.  The course starts the second you drive in St-Jean Garrison. 

Time to start getting the "shut mouth up brain" drills down!   ;)

For those of your completely new to the military...one more point...getting there Saturday will give you a little bit of extra time to get used to the place, to get to know the people you are going to be on course with, and give some of your "new to the CF" types the chance to be nervous together...and realize that "hey I am NOT the only one who feels like I have 2 left feet!" and stuff like that.

Remeber your are doing BMOQ with consists of IAP (Initial Assessment Period).  Assume you are being assessed the second you get the wave to "go head" from the Commissionaire at the Main Gate on your way to the Green Desk.

Step off on the right foot and do yourself a favour...if your paperwork says you have to be there at such and such a date at such and such a time...be there.  Get used to the fact that TIMINGS and FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS are day to day facts of life in the military.

Remember...

"Before you can be a good leader, you have to be a good follower".

Anyways...its up to you but if it were ME...I would be there when my paperwork said to be there...unless I had arrangements and approval otherwise.  You will see some of your coursemates on here that already have served  in the CF for years...they know how the system works and how to get this approval thru their CoC and will no doubt have their CYA ticket in hand.  ;D

Some people here supposed already to be basicly trained in their former or current service as NCMs or even Officers? I am wondering why they have to do it all over again when they decide to become officers? or at least IAP can be excepted.

Some of us (myself included) either did not have a PLQ/JLC equiv, or just did not complete all of the jlc modules (that was me) ergo not qualifying for the IAP Bypass, every officer whether the come from the street or the ranks must do BOTC unless they were SLC/ILQ Qual previously in which case they go to a program called the officership colloquim. (this is for long in the tooth CWO's looking to pad thier pension type of deal) Cheers,

Back