• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot, General Purpose (Mk III acting/interim replacement)

oh geeze.  That'll be a delight given that you struggle to put these things on!

*EDIT:  better stock up on the combat candy

What's the no BS final cost to the system for a pair of the new GP boots (if one could buy a pair of the shelf)? Anyone hazard a guess or does someone have a fairly good idea?

Had a debate today about the cost of a boot allowance over medical checkups leading to a chit & reinbursment for a bought pair. Just wondering what the new boots are costing the system (and realising that a LOT of people seem to be getting hurt wearing them)...

Cheers.

Soldier1stTradesman2nd said:
What's the no BS final cost to the system for a pair of the new GP boots (if one could buy a pair of the shelf)? Anyone hazard a guess or does someone have a fairly good idea?

Had a debate today about the cost of a boot allowance over medical checkups leading to a chit & reinbursment for a bought pair. Just wondering what the new boots are costing the system (and realising that a LOT of people seem to be getting hurt wearing them)...

Cheers.

The final "no BS" cost that's limited to their "dollar value" on your clothing docs should you lose them and have to replace them?? ... OR

The final "no BS" cost once we figure in the cost of O&M to store, ship, handle, distribute, replace, resole, medical appointments ... and the PY's spent doing all of the aforementioned?

If option 2 ... the cost is far higher than a boot allowance. And the mere space rationalization that could occur as a result of going with a boot allowance would save untold sums in associated maintenance costs as well ... overhead warehouse heating costs etc etc. If it weren't for the sheer volume of footwear styles and types we need to maintain in each CSG ... we' need a building at this particluar location that is half the size of the one the taxpayers are paying to maintain now.

Soldier1stTradesman2nd said:

Cheers.

- My 13 Jun 08 Individual Account Holdings print-out has:

Boots Combat, $158.16, (GP)
Boots, Hot Weather, $45.00 (old Jungle Boots, green and black)
Boots, Hot Weather, $77.69, (old patten desert - not Mondopoint)
Boots, Extreme Cold Weather, $85.15 (Muckluk outers)
Boots, Cold Weather, $126.15 (Bosnia era Goretex)
Boots, Combat, $109.28 (Wet Weather)

TCBF said:
- My 13 Jun 08 Individual Account Holdings print-out has:

Boots Combat, $158.16, (GP)
Boots, Hot Weather, $45.00 (old Jungle Boots, green and black)
Boots, Hot Weather, $77.69, (old patten desert - not Mondopoint)
Boots, Extreme Cold Weather, $85.15 (Muckluk outers)
Boots, Cold Weather, $126.15 (Bosnia era Goretex)
Boots, Combat, $109.28 (Wet Weather)

That's awesome. The worst boots cost the most, correct? :D

Thanks for the answers... I don't get to Clothing Stores often enough to check the actual on-paper price for our kit. Scary that the GP Boot is in fact the most expensive, and in line with most COTS boots out there that actually fit individual feet without making the soldier combat ineffective.

I will likely get a pair of GPs just to spare my Mk IIIs (for "non-General Purpose activities").

Until common sense prevails where-ever these boots and other such monstrosities are tested and approved, I will stick to Mk IIIs and third-party (I believe in the Preventative in PMed), chit or no chit.

Is there a suitable brand of over the counter paste for the wet weather boots?  I need to get mine in shape before my unit will have the paste in.

The brand is Emu, I've seen it at the CANEX, not sure about civvie side.

Beadwindow said:
Is there a suitable brand of over the counter paste for the wet weather boots?  I need to get mine in shape before my unit will have the paste in.

Your QM or Clothing should carry paste for the WW Boots.

I have seen the same tins being sold in the Canex at either Pet or Kingston......perhaps both.....Damn mess tins.

George Wallace said:
I have seen the same tins being sold in the Canex at either Pet or Kingston......perhaps both.....Damn mess tins.

You probably have George because they sell them in the Canex here too; still, they're free at the QM shop or clothing stores.

But if you read Beadwindow's post, he says the unit doesn't have the paste in.

PMedMoe said:
But if you read Beadwindow's post, he says the unit doesn't have the paste in.

Perhaps they should order some?

There's no shortage of it according to MiMs.

Perhaps they should.  ;)

Beadwindow, I'm sure if you go to a good shoe store, you can probably find shoe paste that is not polish.

Thanks I will ask at a local shoe store.  My QM didn't have any and I've asked for it, but sometimes it takes a while and I really need to get my boots cleaned up quick.  :salute:

Beadwindow said:
Thanks I will ask at a local shoe store.  My QM didn't have any and I've asked for it, but sometimes it takes a while and I really need to get my boots cleaned up quick.  :salute:

Call me crazy, but you could just stick your neck wayyyyy out there and use boot polish  ::)

O.k. I've been accused many times of having the wet weather boot, asked why are they shiny a then had to march my ass down to the supp tech where i received the emu boot paste. However, boot paste is for the wet weather boot, because it helps water proof the gore-tex, and regular boot polish ruins gore-tex. 

Seeing as i am brand new, I could be so completely wrong, but I'm just sharing what I've been told by a Sgt.

I have the GPs by the way.

Who? What? Maybe... said:
helps water proof the gore-tex, and regular boot polish ruins gore-tex. 

uh.... anything applied to the gore-tex membrane will ruin it. The lining is on the INSIDE of the boots. The OUTSIDE is LEATHER.

Medtech,  WWBs have two membranes of sorts. 1 Goretex & 1 Leather. If 1 can breathe & the other can't.... it doesn't work.

Back