• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot, General Purpose (Mk III acting/interim replacement)

MedTech said:
uh.... anything applied to the gore-tex membrane will ruin it. The lining is on the INSIDE of the boots. The OUTSIDE is LEATHER.

Applying polish to the outside of the WWB's affects the boot as much as applying polish to the membrane itself.

I have stated this somewhere on the site before, maybe even in this thread:

When I got issued Matterhorns in 2000 (leather over goretex) the instructions dictated that boot polish was to be used on them.  I called the company's 1-800 number because I thought there might be a mistake and they confirmed that it did not affect the membrane nor the properties of the boots.

I imagine the same rules should apply for the WWB. 

I suspect the only reason paste is used on the boots instead of polish is for the gloss vs. matte factors that became important when they started to trial the new combat uniform and realized boots can be seen from very far away when they are nice and shiny and black.

My 2 cents.

Bzzliteyr said:
I have stated this somewhere on the site before, maybe even in this thread:

When I got issued Matterhorns in 2000 (leather over goretex) the instructions dictated that boot polish was to be used on them.  I called the company's 1-800 number because I thought there might be a mistake and they confirmed that it did not affect the membrane nor the properties of the boots.

I imagine the same rules should apply for the WWB. 

I suspect the only reason paste is used on the boots instead of polish is for the gloss vs. matte factors that became important when they started to trial the new combat uniform and realized boots can be seen from very far away when they are nice and shiny and black.

My 2 cents.

I was told in no uncertain terms, by the sup tech who issued them to me, that only paste was to be used as it affected the performance of the boot. I believe there is also a tag on the boot that says the same.

It could have something to do with the leather used. I know people who used the paste as well as people who used the polish. I can't recall if anyone had any problems and I don't have them issued anymore anyways (gave 'em back).

Piper said:
I was told in no uncertain terms, by the sup tech who issued them to me, that only paste was to be used as it affected the performance of the boot. I believe there is also a tag on the boot that says the same.

It could have something to do with the leather used. I know people who used the paste as well as people who used the polish. I can't recall if anyone had any problems and I don't have them issued anymore anyways (gave 'em back).

Are these the same people who told us that we were to NEVER use boot polish on the Mk IIIs, but to only use that wonderful black glossy boot paint in a can?

daftandbarmy said:
Are these the same people who told us that we were to NEVER use boot polish on the Mk IIIs, but to only use that wonderful black glossy boot paint in a can?

Boot polish actually serves to waterproof the MK III's.....somewhat. The WWB's need to 'breath' hence no polish.

I'm just sayin'....they're crummy boots anyways.

Holy cow people:

THE MANUFACTURER states that paste only should be used as polish will degrade and impede the function of the boot.

It's written right ON the MANUFACTURER'S label when you receive the boot.

We Sup techs only pass on what the MANUFACTURER'S recommendations are.

Don't listen to them  ... don't be surprised if you find your boot doesn't function as per your expectations. It really is that simple.

I will have to agree with MWO Vern ( btw congrats! When are you coming to 17 WIng to sort them out?..joking)
Use what you're told to. Polish will gum up the leather on the WWB and GP.

PMedMoe said:
Something we haven't heard yet?

I think it has to do with with comments Binrat55 made over in the Sup Tech thread.

Promoted, not posted. But, not yet. How's that for delivery?

Yes Vern, do tell  :)

PLS-DOMINA-3023.jpg

Bzzliteyr said:
But inquiring minds want to know, what do YOU use on your boots Vern??

WW Boots - I use the boot paste that's issued.

Boots, Interim GP --- I use nothing on them as they fit like crap, so I didn't take my issue of them.

I've got my trusty little MkIII combat boots on my feet right now (sans vibram sole) ... shone with Kiwi polish.

How's that for an answer?

OldSolduer said:
I will have to agree with MWO Vern ( btw congrats! When are you coming to 17 WIng to sort them out?..joking)
Use what you're told to. Polish will gum up the leather on the WWB and GP.

What happens when you're told otherwise? I.e. some poor kid on CAP wearing his WWB's who gets a blast from ALL the staff (i.e. they all lined up for a turn) for using the paste (which doesn't give a shine). Poor kid had a nice thick layer of paste on his boots by the end of the course and was dreading having to go explain to stores why his boots were like that.

Since when are the CAP instructors giving a rats arse about WW boots,  I was there a year ago, and since have had 5 or six of my guys go through there and never been a problem.  GP Boots tend to get kiwi polished,  and I won't lie I kiwi my GP boots, but then I don't wear them in the field either.  I gotta go with vern on the prospector paste on the WWB

ArtyNewbie said:
Since when are the CAP instructors giving a rats arse about WW boots,  I was there a year ago, and since have had 5 or six of my guys go through there and never been a problem.  GP Boots tend to get kiwi polished,  and I won't lie I kiwi my GP boots, but then I don't wear them in the field either.  I gotta go with vern on the prospector paste on the WWB

I dunno...since they inspect your little booties every morning. I've seen lots of kit ruined during a course because of an instructor's temper-tantrum or 'this is how we did it 20 years ago and that's how you'll do it' attitude. 

Now that I have seen, as for the whole WWB issue, its easy to avoid,  wear combat boots unless playing hockey,  in which case the wet weather puck is more than sufficient.

I am so glad that there isn't a size of WWB that fits me.  Of course, if the new boots are based on the same sizing system, I guess I'd better make sure my combat boots stay in good shape for the next four and a half years.  :p

Piper said:
What happens when you're told otherwise? I.e. some poor kid on CAP wearing his WWB's who gets a blast from ALL the staff (i.e. they all lined up for a turn) for using the paste (which doesn't give a shine). Poor kid had a nice thick layer of paste on his boots by the end of the course and was dreading having to go explain to stores why his boots were like that.

Or the kid can obtain the proper information and present it to those outstanding leaders, to better educate them on proper boot care.  Then he can ask them who should supply send the bill to for ruining the boots.

What a bunch of douchebags.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Or the kid can obtain the proper information and present it to those outstanding leaders, to better educate them on proper boot care.  Then he can ask them who should supply send the bill to for ruining the boots.

What a bunch of douchebags.

Heh, after a little 'incident' with a certain someone playing barrack room lawyer, no one dared pipe up to the staff (well except for one...sort of...it's quite the story but probably best not posted here). They weren't bad people (well, not all of them, the jury is out in some cases) but it is very much a personality driven affair in Gagetown....what they say goes. If they are aware of things, then they happen. If not, tough luck.

In their defence though, they were somewhat lenient with kit..especially with non-issue boots. Anyways, I've gone off on a tangent now.

Back