• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot, General Purpose (Mk III acting/interim replacement)

Speaking of tangents...

If 'they' issue us with paste for the WWB, why don't 'they' issue us with Kiwi (Parade Gloss of course) for all our other boots (and boots bands too goldurn it!).

I like talking about 'they' as if I wasn't part of 'them'  ;D

Piper said:
I dunno...since they inspect your little booties every morning. I've seen lots of kit ruined during a course because of an instructor's temper-tantrum or 'this is how we did it 20 years ago and that's how you'll do it' attitude.

Sounds quite like an instructor problem rather than a paste problem.  ;)

An instructor problem; which, in this case (GP & WW Boots), can lead to the degradation and non-performance of the boot as intended by manufacturer's specifications. Oh goody on those dinosaur instructors.

ArtyNewbie said:
Now that I have seen, as for the whole WWB issue, its easy to avoid,  wear combat boots unless playing hockey,  in which case the wet weather puck is more than sufficient.

There's a huge project underway right now to re-sole all WW Boots into more appropraite vibram soles. Stocked WW boots and all WW boots already issued to individuals. Wait for it ... we're only awaiting the dates here in this location that the contractor will be able to take them all back.

ArmyVern said:
There's a huge project underway right now to re-sole all WW Boots into more appropraite vibram soles. Stocked WW boots and all WW boots already issued to individuals. Wait for it ... we're only awaiting the dates here in this location that the contractor will be able to take them all back.
Still won't wear them likely. I'll just use my gortex socks. It's so much easier and comfortable.

recceguy said:
Still won't wear them likely. I'll just use my gortex socks. It's so much easier and comfortable.

Or just get a chit.  ;D

Although my base's local supplier doesn't have any good gortex boots (everyone in London wears Rocky boots for a reason) so I'm gortex-boot less (and sock-less too). Sigh, hopefuly my next base has better suppliers.  :p

Vern... that new project is an old project - I had 1 pr resoled in 2007.

Those are the ones I trashed my Right knee with.... Grrr

"or get a chit"

Not here at Longue Pointe.  The latest LFQA RSM passed the word (geo can confirm) that NO boots aside from the issued ones would be worn.  Tear up the chits is what we were passed on from our Bde RSM.

As for the issued polish for the boots we have, if I remember correctly the 265 doesn't specify putting any polish on the parade boots for a gloss effect but try telling that to any higher rank when they tell you to "work harder on your boots". 

geo, it doesn't matter what boots you were wearing.. you shouldn't have been dancing on that table anyhow!!

Can an RSM override a medical chit? Am not doubting that is what happened Bzzliteyr am just curious if an RSM even an Area RSM can over rule a medical decision made by the MO.

Bzzliteyr said:
"or get a chit"

Not here at Longue Pointe.  The latest LFQA RSM passed the word (geo can confirm) that NO boots aside from the issued ones would be worn.  Tear up the chits is what we were passed on from our Bde RSM.

So, if you have a chit signed by a MO that you require 'special footwear' for reason X,Y or Z.  I am one of those with a Chit for footwear to accomodate my orthodics (also ordered by a MO...) so I don't think I'd be tearing up my chit. 

But thats just me.  Interesting to see what happens when the first soldier returns to the MIR with an injury that has been compounded from this 'order'.

Whats next up your way?  "I don't care if you just had surgery and are on 2 weeks Medical Leave.  Rip that Leave Pass up and report for duty"?

dangerboy said:
Can an RSM override a medical chit? Am not doubting that is what happened Bzzliteyr am just curious if an RSM even an Area RSM can over rule a medical decision made by the MO.

No.

Bzzliteyr said:
"or get a chit"

Did someone cry "chickenhawk"?

Can an CWO overide an MO? Somehow I doubt that. Seems to me that someone thinks he knows better than a Medical Officer.

As for maintenance of boots, I had a pair of Rockies that never saw a lick of Kiwi. Danner boot dressing only.
To the "donosaur instructors" the days of spit and polish are now reserved for DEU parades.

Well, I know of a soldier who has size 16 boots, and they don't (or didn't in 2003) exist in the system. In Gagetown while in the training system, they forced him to wear 14's (Largest size they had) and after a year of that, his feet are now ****ed up. After arrival in Petawawa, he was given a perma-chit for civvy boots and ended up getting a nice chunk of change from VA. Since I've been posted to Gagetown last APS, I've noticed a much more ana.... errr.... rigid policy on footwear. The Mark III's destroyed my feet and knees, and I have had a chit for Magnums for years now...... but I genuinely don't see the issue with soldiers willing to pay money themselves to get good footwear. The soldier is comfortable and won't become a burden on the medical system. Why force troops to use substandard boots?

reccecrewman said:
Well, I know of a soldier who has size 16 boots, and they don't (or didn't in 2003) exist in the system. In Gagetown while in the training system, they forced him to wear 14's (Largest size they had) and after a year of that, his feet are now ****ed up. After arrival in Petawawa, he was given a perma-chit for civvy boots and ended up getting a nice chunk of change from VA. Since I've been posted to Gagetown last APS, I've noticed a much more ana.... errr.... rigid policy on footwear. The Mark III's destroyed my feet and knees, and I have had a chit for Magnums for years now...... but I genuinely don't see the issue with soldiers willing to pay money themselves to get good footwear. The soldier is comfortable and won't become a burden on the medical system. Why force troops to use substandard boots?

Why? Because I said so! and that's the answer you get a lot of the time.
I did seven "Corrective Training" days for wearing boots that were far superior to the Mk III boot.
The reasoning was that only Snr NCOs and officers could afford Danners etc, while the troops couldn't, so therefore we all had to suffer equally.
The problem, as I see it, is that some people are stuck in the past.

I am baffled, how on earth could someone let themselves be forced into a boot two sizes smaller?  Didn't he think about going to the MO?  What kind of leadership is that anyway?

The more I read through this thread, the more I shake my head.  No CWO can override a MO chit, thank god these guys seemed to be confined to one element.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I am baffled, how on earth could someone let themselves be forced into a boot two sizes smaller?  Didn't he think about going to the MO?  What kind of leadership is that anyway?

The more I read through this thread, the more I shake my head.  No CWO can override a MO chit, thank god these guys seemed to be confined to one element.

I can provide some insight: "Because that is what the RSM (or whoever)[[/quote] said to do." I agree with you ....this pure unadulterated garbage. Our troops are our future in this Army, and if one gets treated this way it reflects on all NCOs and Officers.....painting us as incompetent, uncaring, uneducated fools.

recceguy said:
Cause it's what the D-I-N-O-S-A-U-R-S wear.

And they can't get over the advances in footwear etc. If it was up to some people we'd still be in Battledress wearing ties on exercise.

reccecrewman said:
Well, I know of a soldier who has size 16 boots, and they don't (or didn't in 2003) exist in the system. In Gagetown while in the training system, they forced him to wear 14's (Largest size they had) and after a year of that, his feet are now ****ed up. After arrival in Petawawa, he was given a perma-chit for civvy boots and ended up getting a nice chunk of change from VA.

I've heard of it both ways, people wearing ones that are too small/too big because of shortages.

I can see the issue with troops just buying "whatever they like" as certain standards have to be met (materials, construction, safety, etc).  That is where Base Supply kicks in after the Medical folks assess your properly.  It shouldn't be based on LCF.

If a soldier/sailor/air*person* cannot wear the issued ones for whatever ~legitimate~ reason, and the CF medical system identifies that, and the CF supply system provides suitable boots, that should be the end of it.

Hopefully Commanders at all levels will squash things like "rip up your chits for special footwear troops!" and make it known that MOs orders are MO orders.

I'd be curious to see what the BSurg/Snr MO at Lounge-Pointe thinks of this *directive* as well.

The other thing that happens as I was just discussing with a fellow worker is that people never challenge the decisions.  The RSM "gets away" with it by suggesting a "transition phase" in effect allowing for some leniency on his decision should anyone actually try to complain.

This rule came in to effect not long after the RSM returned from tour in Afghanistan, where he directly impacted dress regulations there as well.

Back