• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot cleaning / polishing / care of

I have been down kiwi polish lane many times.  I prefer like ballz to utilize my time on better things.  I like to look nice in my uniform including my boots, so I use a product called Leather Lustre to make my boots look good.  I love when people tell me that using a product to make myself look more professional is somehow inherently wrong.  Then I ask them to show me where in the dress manual it says I can't do that.  Usually after that I am just left alone...

When in doubt, consult the wooden tops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnzVdvbvnMc

I'd pay a cadet to do your boots.
You're basically helping them aspire to higher levels, and their really frigging good at it.

daftandbarmy said:
When in doubt, consult the wooden tops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnzVdvbvnMc

Awesome.

Robert0288 said:
I was in awe when I saw the paintbrush come out.

There's a lot more to that that methodology than meets the eye in that clip, believe me, but it sure speeds up the process, especially for 'pebbly' ammunition boots (when you also need to bull the soles, but leave the 13 nails sparkling).

The new parade boots are junk. I wish I had kept my old ones. Managed to hustle my Grandfather for his this week since he is retired.

Spending hours on Parade boots doesn't make you a good soldier. Being a good soldier makes you a good soldier.

Spectrum said:
The new parade boots are junk. I wish I had kept my old ones. Managed to hustle my Grandfather for his this week since he is retired.

Spending hours on Parade boots doesn't make you a good soldier. Being a good soldier makes you a good soldier.

I still have a set, but they don't fit properly anymore so I try to avoid using them for the longer occasions that call for parade boots. I used to get excited when I had to polish my boots and was always proud of my work but since these new ones came out, it just makes me frustrated.

:salute: RIP pre-2009 style boots

Spectrum said:
The new parade boots are junk. I wish I had kept my old ones.

Are you referring to the ones with the steel toe in them, or the newest version where they decided the steel toe is a terrible idea and went back to the older ones?

Spectrum said:

Then try contracting out: http://www.guardsgearmilitarysupplies.webeden.co.uk/#/ammo-boots/4528222660

daftandbarmy said:
Then try contracting out: http://www.guardsgearmilitarysupplies.webeden.co.uk/#/ammo-boots/4528222660

Is it a sign that I make too much money when part of me is considering this?

;D

Spectrum said:
Is it a sign that I make too much money when part of me is considering this?

;D

Only if a couple of hundred hours of your time is worth more than 50 bucks or so. Maybe 200 if you buy a proper pair of ammo boots as well.

daftandbarmy said:
The polish is flaking off probably because you're not working it in enough.

Try the Guards Division SOP:

1. Remove the laces, then brush polish them, hard, first working the polish into all the cracks and crannies and welts with the brush. Let them dry then buff off the polish with a soft boot brush marked 'parade boots brush polishing brush only', or something like that. Only use your 'brush polishing' tim of standard Kiwi. Keep a brush for parade boots only, so you don't transfer grit and mud from field boots.

2. Using a fresh tin of Kiwi parade gloss, 'layer them up'. This means - using only your yellow Kiwi boot polishing flannel - dipping the cloth on the polish as if you were going to spit shine the shoes, but just layer the polish on in circles. Again, work the polish into the nooks and crannies. Let them dry overnight.

3. Spit shine, using a fresh yellow Kiwi flannel that you only use for this purpose, but don't spit on the boots. Get the flannel wet with warm water, then wring it out so it's damp. Make circles for seemingly forever. If you need more moisture on the boots, re-dampen the cloth. If you need additional moisture on the boots, 'breathe' on them until they fog up, then carry on.

Don't use spit, dirty cloths or brushes, or cotton balls dipped in water. Only use a Kiwi flannel cloth and Kiwi polish.  And don't just polish the toes (you idle, 'orrible little man!).

Post some photos as you progress. I'd like to live vicariously through others when it comes to marathon boot polishing these days.  ;D

I gave up on the Oxfords and binned them when I went out and got a decent pair of dress shoes for my day job.  That being said, I finally got issued my DEUs and the parade boots are just as much of a pain in the dick to polish as the lil' bastard oxfords.  I tried the above method and I still get the flaking.  I wore the boots to work (day job) for a month to break them in, got them all nice and creased where they would normally flex when I walk.  Polished them up, got a nice mirror finish on them and on Rememberance Day, when I wore them for the first time, I ended up standing in a pile of finely powdered shoe polish.  Guess I'll just keep at it until it sticks.

The new boots, and shoes have a paint like finish on them from the factory. The best method I've found is to take some 400 grit sand paper and very lightly scuff the finish, then wipe the boots clean with a damp cloth. When I say very lightly, that's exactly what I mean. You only want to knock back the sheen so the polish has something to grip. Slowly build up the layers. You can do a couple of layers per day by just applying the polish and letting it dry. Finally, spit shine the boots. The polish should be well stuck to the boots by now.

RSMs and people with shares in Kiwi may want to look away:

What's the problem with patent leather shoes as per US forces and the ADF?  The Australian Army is switching to an elastic-sided R.M. Williams patent leather boot as their new parade boot (which doesn't look too out of place in the pics) for NCMs as well.

http://images.defence.gov.au/fotoweb/grid.fwx?ArchiveID=5003&Search=S20131053

Dimsum said:
What's the problem with patent leather shoes ....
HERETIC!  BURN THE WITCH!  EXORCISE THE DEMON!
;D

Dimsum said:
What's the problem with patent leather shoes as per US forces and the ADF?  The Australian Army is switching to an elastic-sided R.M. Williams patent leather boot as their new parade boot (which doesn't look too out of place in the pics) for NCMs as well.

Nothing at all. Patent leather oxfords were approved for non-ceremonial duties by the National Defence Clothing and Dress Committee in 2006.

Dimsum said:

Funny I wasn't aware the ADF had shares in http://www.blundstone.com/  8)

Issued my last set of Oxfords in 1988, kept them when I pulled pole in 1994, still hold a beautiful shine done the old school way with testors gloss black paint and future floor wax er I mean kiwi and lots of elbow grease.  :-[

Danjanou said:
Funny I wasn't aware the ADF had shares in http://www.blundstone.com/  8)

Issued my last set of Oxfords in 1988, kept them when I pulled pole in 1994, still hold a beautiful shine done the old school way with testors gloss black paint and future floor wax er I mean kiwi and lots of elbow grease.  :-[

Blunnies are what the techs and tradies wear here, with shorts!  R.Ms are slightly more expensive (say...$400 per pair)  but they sure look and feel good.

Dimsum said:

I wasn't able to find any patent leather boots from the link.  From my half a decade masquerading as Al Bundy in that hell-shole shoe store in the mall I used to work at, this is what patent leather looks like:

Dr_Martens_Back-patent.jpg

I was thinking since I had so many points, I'd order an extra set of boots, take them to a body shop and load on a $hit ton coats of clear gloss paint and get the patent effect, but not sure how well that would work. 

I've heard of the future's floor wax method as well, but heard that it will last a very short time, maybe not even to the end of parade.  Might try it though, got nothing to lose.

I recently picked up three cans of Kiwi Parade Gloss.  Noticiebly more shiny than the regular stuff, but flaked off just the same.

I have a pair of shoes from my shoe store days, and they weren't shiny to start, but after 15 years of polish on those things, they're like mirrors.  I managed to get my dress boots to look the same for our soldier's Christmas dinner this past weekend, but halfway through the night, I notcied the Kiwi Parade Gloss started to flake.  And no, it wasn't because the acid from somene's vomit ate away the polish.  They flaked in parts that did flex, and cracked in parts that didn't have any movement.

I tried taking 400 grit sand paper and lightly scuffing it before applying the polish.  They looked great sitting on my shelf, but as soon as I wore the, I may as well have worn them into the jungle. 

Since I probably won't need these things again until next Nov 11 next year, I'll just wear them once a week, apply polish everytime and see if the polish starts to stick over a longer peroid of time.

Haha, phucking things.......

Back