• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot cleaning / polishing / care of

FutureInfantryOfficer said:
I was told by an old chief in my Air cadet squadron that Parade gloss melts out in the sun.

That would make him, what, seventeen?
;D

I heard from a couple of cadets from when I was in Trenton that adding a penny into a can of Kiwi black shoe polish helps keep the moisture in polish. Is this true?

Closing the lid keeps the moisture in the polish.... again, I've had a small can for a few years that's still good to go.

FutureInfantryOfficer said:
I heard from a couple of cadets from when I was in Trenton that adding a penny into a can of Kiwi black shoe polish helps keep the moisture in polish. Is this true?

Think about it. How much moisture is in a penny?

recceguy said:
Think about it. How much moisture is in a penny?

There are unconfirmed reports that a "crying dime" might contain more moisture. Research, however, is not ongoing.

I never heard of it, or tried it. So I Googled it. This from "Cadetworld", for what it is worth...

"How to keep your shoe polish moist?":
Question: "I've seen people put pennies in their polish.. anyone know why.. is that a way of moistening their polish?"
Answer: "some people put a drop of water on the penny. flip it over so the drop of water is trapped between the penny and the polish. it works...if the penny isn't rusted and if u push on the penny too hard, it'll crack your polish."
http://www.cadet-world.com/cwforums/showthread.php?11706-How-to-keep-your-shoe-polish-moist

mariomike said:
"...if the penny isn't rusted..."
http://www.cadet-world.com/cwforums/showthread.php?11706-How-to-keep-your-shoe-polish-moist

I thought that part was funny.  Is there ANY water in polish? I was under the impression all the moisture was petroleum-based.

Hi All, new here.  I realize there was a topic (that's now locked) not long ago regarding the oxfords, but I didn't see a solution (and there may not be one) in that thread.

I ordered a pair of the oxfords, and they look like a decent pair of shoes, and not too bad comfort-wise.

Now, I worked for a shoe store for 5 years, and I have to tell you, I'm having a helluva time keeping the polish on these things as well.  After a polish, they look great, nice and shiny, sitting on the shoe rack, but after walking in them for a bit, the polish just starts to crumble off, in little particles.  I've never seen than in any of my leather shoes.  I can get my Doc Martin's looking like mirrors, even a cheap $40 pair of dress shoes looking good, but never have I ever had polish crumble off like that.  At first, I thought maybe it was the weather, or maybe my polish had expired (if the stuff even has an expiry date, I have no idea).  Are these things treated with something from the factory, or do I need to take a chemical cleaner to them before the polish bonds to the surface? 

Thanks,

Peter

I had a similar issue when I didn't let the polish dry completely, or if I didn't put enough on there. It needs a lot of coats before it starts to actually adhere to the shoe.

Lots of advice on this elsewhere - I'll be bringing it all together shortly.

Milnet.ca Staff

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the advice so far, and sorry to start a new thread....wow, talk about bringing back a thread from the dead....last post was 2008?  I'll try all the methods and see if I can get these things to stay shiny.

Peter

I had new DEU boots from logistikunicorp. Ordered them a while back, never wore them.  They came with a very decent shine on them already. Awesome. The new(er) oxford's I've ordered from them were the same thing, comes with a decent enough look.  Not the glass DEU boot look but enough to have the CSM pick on someone else.

While on their website I noticed that a new style of DEU boots came out. Stronger lighter faster kinda stuff, so I ordered them. because it's new so it's gotta be better.

To say they came unshined is an understatement. They're not grey persay, but I've seen shiner field combat boots.

I'm going to have to fumble through the search engine here and find threads on how to shine boots since it's about time I stop paying army cadets $50 to shine mine for me.

The new boots and shoes have a surface that does not take the polish very well.  Or at least that's what I find and what I've heard.  As comfortable as the new boots are, for parades, I wear my old ones.

I know some people have have divergent views on polishing products (just read the painted boots thread from last Sept) but bang for your buck Leather Luster rocks.  If your paying someone anyway you can get them to do your boots for you or just order the kit and do it yourself.  Either way you will not be disappointed.

http://shop.leatherluster.com/main.sc 

Thanks MJP.

I think I'm actually going to return them for my points, upon closer inspection there seems to be scruffs and white marks on the upper boot, almost like wear marks.

I'll just use my old (new) boots.  I'd like to exchange them for a smaller size but I'm guessing any boots I order will be the new lightweight hates polish type.

Leather luster is good, but you have to be careful with it's application.  It's easy to get streaks and it will eventually crack and peel away some, repairs can be a bitch.  I originally used it in my old trade for the gun belt, boots etc as did others but in the end found it to be more trouble than it was worth.  For day to day use, liquid Kiwi was a better solution. 

Well, it’s been almost 4 months since I started wearing the oxfords, and I’ve been putting on new polish, and it would come off, then I’d put on more polish, and it would come off.  It’s sticking better than it used to, but still sucks donkey balls to polish these things.  They flake off only in certain patches now, and in other areas, the polish peels off in tiny strips where the shoe gets scraped.  This indicates to me that the polish sticks to previous layers of polish, but it’s not bonding with the leather.  Haha, maybe they need a coat of primer from a spray can. 

I sold shoes for 5 years at Kinney Shoes, and I have to say these are these are the hardest shoes I’ve ever come across to keep a polish on.  It’s like the *ucking things are Teflon coated or something.  I apply the polish and wait for it to set properly (give it an hour to several hours at room temperature) before buffing it off.  They look great as long as I don’t wear them.  Anyway, I heard someone mention they used an SOS pad to scuff the surface finish off.  I may just try it and if I *uck it up, hey, it’s a new fiscal year and I can order another set. 

Mister Donut said:
Well, it’s been almost 4 months since I started wearing the oxfords, and I’ve been putting on new polish, and it would come off, then I’d put on more polish, and it would come off.  It’s sticking better than it used to, but still sucks donkey balls to polish these things.  They flake off only in certain patches now, and in other areas, the polish peels off in tiny strips where the shoe gets scraped.  This indicates to me that the polish sticks to previous layers of polish, but it’s not bonding with the leather.  Haha, maybe they need a coat of primer from a spray can. 

I sold shoes for 5 years at Kinney Shoes, and I have to say these are these are the hardest shoes I’ve ever come across to keep a polish on.  It’s like the *ucking things are Teflon coated or something.  I apply the polish and wait for it to set properly (give it an hour to several hours at room temperature) before buffing it off.  They look great as long as I don’t wear them.  Anyway, I heard someone mention they used an SOS pad to scuff the surface finish off.  I may just try it and if I *uck it up, hey, it’s a new fiscal year and I can order another set.

1200-2000 grit sandpaper works wonders... thats how I do mine. Brand new shoes, light sanding, polish sticks awesome and is super easy to get to a good polish.

BobSlob said:
1200-2000 grit sandpaper works wonders... thats how I do mine. Brand new shoes, light sanding, polish sticks awesome and is super easy to get to a good polish.

You can do that or get them done via some commercial products like Leather Luster.  http://www.leatherluster.com/

Back