• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot cleaning / polishing / care of

Schindler's Lift said:
So what I'm hearing is that your content to not show leadership by polishing your own boots/shoes properly just because others around you don't either?  I get it now.

Son, I know how to shine my boots.  I have done it for many years.  I choose to a) look professional b) not waste my time.  As RC has said please save the moral indignation and utilize your effort for folks that look like slobs in their uniforms.  You don't know me so don't pretend you can judge.

Just in case you are unsure of what to reference besides some old school "but but that's not the way we did it" crap

A-AD-265-000/AG-001 CANADIAN FORCES DRESS
INSTRUCTIONS

Chapter 4
20. Footwear 20. Chaussures
a. Shoes leather, oxfords, pumps, and boots
ankle shall be clean and shone at all times.

edited to add ref

Schindler's Lift said:
In the last few months I've had one CPO2 visit my office wearing 3Bs complete with US PX purchased patent leather shoes and just last friday at our local Day of Honour observation I caught 2 junior officers wearing the same.  Disappointing to say the least.

Never mind any sort of paint or leather luster...stick with Kiwi, elbow grease and good ol attention to detail.

Actually patent leather Oxfords are an authorized item of dress.  They do not have to be CF pattern, they just have to be military pattern.  So yes the CPO2 was correctly dressed.  The only caveat on them is they are not for ceremonial occassions so the junior officers may have been in the wrong.

Canex sells SWAT versions.

Most of the 2nd Vandoos paint their boots, especially the "Garde en Rouge" as they are in ceremonial all summer and couldn't be bothered trying to polish for hours on end after they've stood out in the sun.  I would suggest the spray paint that is made for plastics as it will flex and most likely not flake off.  I am not sure if it comes in gloss black though. Ensure that you use some sandpaper to roughen up the boot before spraying so the paint will stick better.. maybe a couple of shots of gloss coat after?

Eye In The Sky said:
Learn something new everyday.  I had no idea you *could* paint them.

Like I said above, I've given up trying to think what those guys will do next.

recceguy said:
Like I said above, I've given up trying to think what those guys will do next.

The first guy who tried it...wonder how that went over the first inspection it was noticed.  ;D

I remember back in the mid to late 80's in Petawawa, won't mention the unit.  Guys showing up on parade with boots that were so shiny, you had to cover your eyes.  It was encouraged that everyone do it and most did.  But then the CO put the quash to it and banned the use.  Problem being, it was near impossible to get the stuff off, without damaging the boots.  Cost alot of people a few bucks in replacement charges.

http://www.leatherluster.com/

Eye In The Sky said:
The first guy who tried it...wonder how that went over the first inspection it was noticed.  ;D

Obviously, the RSM was impressed with the results, hence the forgone conclusion via the query.

Now, and I'm only extrapolating here, I believe the practice may have come to an abrupt halt should a RSM from THE other nearby Infantry regiment conducted the inspection and known the details. ;)

I've seen a paint used that I believe is called "Cormack". From my understanding it's used for painting horses hooves for ceremonial purposes. It's very shiny and doesn't seem to damage the shoes/boots.

The other option is bulling them properly and then getting them treated with bees wax. I'm not sure how this is done but I know that when I was in the Brit's we had to bull our boots and the bulling would always crack. Some guys would get members from the band to cover their boots with a coating of bees wax after they had been bulled and this would prevent them from cracking.

Perhaps there is someone on the forum from the CF band who can shed some light on this?

I'll be honest, I tried using cotton balls about a year or two ago and have found they are amazing!! I even managed to polish the unpolishable new boots!

Keep us posted on the status of your painted boots.. maybe with some pics!

The new footwear is something of a pain to shine, but there's an easy first step most folks don't know about. You have to take some 400 grade sand paper and gently scuff the entire surface. This will allow the first coat of polish to adhere, and it gets better from there.

I am finally getting around to polishing up my new dress boots and oxfords. I'm three coats in on the oxfords and there yet seems to be some kind of waxy, filmy coating on them creating an appearance like soap film on "Clean" dishes. My boots look the same, but I haven't gotten to them yet. My buddy going through for regF Vtech says his staff tell him the new dress boots and oxfrds have a wax coating on them. How do I get this off?

I know how to do boots, been doing it for 17 years now. This is a new one on me.

Thanks for your time.

Steel wool and hot water, just don't overdo the elbow grease.

As far I can tell, the new boots are what is called split leather. It means the take the top layer off the hide (which might have imperfections) and chemically treat it to get the "shinny" surface. They are not capable of being shined like a traditional full grain leather boot. You can't work the Polish into the leather because of the chemical coating.  From what I understand it is to be treated similar to nubuck leather with a product like this
http://www.kiwicare.com/kiwimcmssite/us/products/suede-nubuck/protect-suede-nubuck-protector.html
If you keep coating on the Polish, it will look ok until you wear them for awhile then it will crank and the Polish will lift away from the boot.

:facepalm:  If that is true...wtf, over.  Who are the clowns getting this shit for us? 

Get some 600 or 800 grit wet/dry sand paper and give them a very light wet sanding to just remove the sheen, but leave them black. Wipe them down with a clean, damp cloth and leave to dry. You can then shine them in the normal manner. Remember, you're just trying to remove the sheen and provide a surface for the polish to stick to.

Eye In The Sky said:
:facepalm:  If that is true...wtf, over.  Who are the clowns getting this crap for us?
From what I understand, it is a lot cheaper then full grain leather.

Back