• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ / BMOQ - Personal Electronics during course [MERGED]

RDJP said:
Jim's right, there's not much one here regarding electronics during Basic anymore....either the thread needs split, or put back on topic.

Agreed.  I'd say delete everything from mid-page 15 onwards, but I quite enjoyed the excellent lessons being taught to the self-pitying.
I'll go ahead and put things back on topic.

According to the CFLRS guide, you are allowed cell phones on weekends of weeks 1, 2 and 3.  (Does that include Friday after hours?)
You are then allowed cell phones on evenings after 6 for the remaining weeks, and are allowed other electronics on the weekend.
This is, of course, if there are no restrictions imposed onto you or your platoon.

My question that I would like insight on:
I'm going to bring my cell phone, but I was also considering bringing a Tablet.  My intention was to use it for Skype on the weekends for a quick chat with my girlfriend or parents, with the luxury of video (since I don't have Face Time, being on Android).  It is indeed a luxury and can easily be dispensed. However, I thought the Tablet may come in handy (like waiting around in Trudeau, more down time than expect on weekends, light bathroom reading, etc...).  Am I better off leaving it at home?

I understand that "civy lockup" is where your luggage and personal belongings are stored.  Is that what people refer to as "personal kit"?

Cheers!

Pat

I did basic back in the early 2000's (when it was still called BOTC). I don't even think I had a cell phone then and I survived just fine. My husband just completed BMQ last summer and was in one of the only platoons that were not allowed the use of electronics in the first 4 weeks and after that, only on weekends. All the other platoons were allowed total access to their electronics. My husband and I, especially my husband, live on our phones. HOWEVER, we survived just fine and I actually think it made the times we could talk and our letters to each other more special. There were guys on his platoon that received special leave to go home to see their wives/gfs/fiancées because they couldn't handle being apart. I know of at least two who have VRed since. I'm of the opinion of many others on here; basic is a place where you are faced with the extremes to see how you can handle it. If you cannot handle being apart for 4 months of training, how are you going to handle being deployed in a war zone where you can't check in every evening because rounds are flying past your head?!?  You may not like it, but IMHO, that's the military, so deal with it. Listen, I may have to do basic again in a few weeks and I was/am completely prepared to be incommunicado for a few months. Just my  :2c:

:moose:

half-pint said:
There were guys on his platoon that received special leave to go home to see their wives/gfs/fiancées because they couldn't handle being apart.

They should have been released immediately. I would prefer "released and tarred & feathered" but I have to manage my expectations.

I know of at least two who have VRed since.

Good.

CDN Aviator said:
They should have been released immediately. I would prefer "released and tarred & feathered" but I have to manage my expectations.

Good.

Oh CA you bitter bitter person :)  I like it.

MPMick said:
Oh CA you bitter bitter person :)  I like it.

I'm not bitter, just very confident of my understanding of the realities of this line of work.

Crusty, maybe.........

half-pint said:
There were guys on his platoon that received special leave to go home to see their wives/gfs/fiancées because they couldn't handle being apart.

Am I supposed to beleive that?  I am sure someone probably got special leave, but I doubt it had anything to do with them not being able to deal with the separation.  Either way there is something missing.

As for electronics on BMQ, let them.  I had electronics on mine, a big fat yellow Sony Walkman, I also had the services of a payphone if I wanted to call I had time to call.  I think having the guys/gals piss away their time on BMQ with electronics is an excellent way to weed people out, because they won't make it.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Am I supposed to beleive that?  I am sure someone probably got special leave, but I doubt it had anything to do with them not being able to deal with the separation.  Either way there is something missing.

Yea, I call bullshit.

half-pint said:
There were guys on his platoon that received special leave to go home to see their wives/gfs/fiancées because they couldn't handle being apart. I know of at least two who have VRed since.

I'm thinking hubby doesn't have all the facts. I would bet that it was something a little more serious than not being able to handle being apart.

I'm just a spouse and I don't see what happens behind the scenes, but I like the cell phone policy they currently have in place. I don't know what I'd do if right off the bat I couldn't hear from my fiance until the first 5 weeks were over. I know it's a matter of "if you can't handle that, good luck with the rest of it" BUT its particularly tough when your first impression of the military is so rough. Not being able to see him is bad enough, but he and I wouldn't be able to make it through this if we couldn't talk, and I'm sure that if I told him I couldn't do it anymore he'd quit. I think it's good, maybe not on the work side of things, but for sure on the family side. Anything to help the spouses/girlfriends/boyfriends/children out is a good thing I think, happy family = harder working recruit.

Not to mention, although they're allowed their devices, it's still strict. During the first 5 weeks they can only use their phones for a half hour a day, no pictures allowed, period, after the 5 weeks I can't really tell what the rules are, neither can my fiance so he calls me for the half hour they were allowed before. Most of the guys, in his section at least, follow the rules. If they break the rules they are reprimanded by having their phones taken for a few days, a week, etc etc.

On my BMQ/BMQ-L I was at LFAATC Aldershot. Technology was allowed on your free time from the very beginning of the course. A new feature that had been recently installed in barracks and the junior ranks mess... Wifi! It was surprising, but not a luxury you had much time to enjoy.
The barracks in Aldershot aren't cellphone friendly. Making a phone-call involved hanging out the window or going outside - but let's face it - you don't have much time. A five-minute phone call home was really all the time you had - if that.
The instructors all had cellphones and used them quite frequently. Many people on course (myself included) were brave to keep their cellphones in their pockets for some entertainment during break times. Just as long as you kept them on silent and the instructors didn't catch you with them out any other time, you were fine.
I think allowing technology on basic training is good as long as they don't interfere with training - a couple phone-calls home to hear family/friends' encouragement gives you that extra morale boost some days. Kept me going more than once during BMQ-L.

I am 38, and I will be in basic training this yr. So, you are telling me that I will be allowed to have my cell on me at certain times of training? I can understand if you are having a break or it is time to relax so you can message family quickly. Other than that, recruites should not have their phones or any electronic devices on them at all.

Usually it is time after 6 p.m. when you return back after classes.
I'm saying about CFLRS.

west_coaster said:
I am 38, and I will be in basic training this yr. So, you are telling me that I will be allowed to have my cell on me at certain times of training? I can understand if you are having a break or it is time to relax so you can message family quickly. Other than that, recruites should not have their phones or any electronic devices on them at all.

Then be an example and leave yours in the barracks, it's a privilege, not a requirement.

AshleyK said:
The instructors all had cellphones and used them quite frequently.

Which in my opinion they shouldn't if the rules are candidates can't either.

Eye In The Sky said:
The instructors aren't under an indoc period though so....

No but I still think it looks bad.
'You guys need to learn to live without your cell phones, one sec I have a text'.

Hmmm, true that.  From that perspective, not in front of the course seems to be appropriate.

Eye In The Sky said:
Hmmm, true that.  From that perspective, not in front of the course seems to be appropriate.

Fair enough but I am sure that there are times when actual course coordination is going on through texting. I've never taught at CFLRS but I can see how in such a large building it would be much easier to text back and forth between instructors to coordinate.

True that too...when I was there, it was a PITA to run from down by Wpns or Supply to the bullpen (B Div at the time, across from the Canex/next to the Mess).

**  ESPECIALLY for coffee and toast at 10!

Not gonna bring my gadgets.  I don't have a cell phone, but I have an Ipad and a laptop.  Both are staying home, if I don't have that stuff I won't be distracted from doing what needs to be done.  I know me.  Family can live without hearing from me for a bit. Will do em good. 

Back