• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ 8 Jan Borden- Who's going?

I just graduated from BMQ in Borden today actually. It was a little bit of a wild ride.
Any general questions, just ask. I don't want to ruin the surprise  ;D

no way!  Dd you do the new 13 week course?  If so, how was it?  congrats on graduating!!!  How many people made it all the way?

Chaz said:
I just graduated from BMQ in Borden today actually. It was a little bit of a wild ride.
Any general questions, just ask. I don't want to ruin the surprise  ;D

anyone here about how it is in borden????????  what the difference is between instructors in other places or maybe some people to watch out for... Feel free to email me...

Navyguy

navyguy28 said:
anyone here about how it is in borden????????  what the difference is between instructors in other places or maybe some people to watch out for... Feel free to email me...

Navyguy

Are you friggin for real?  Read some of the posts on this site from people who have been there.  If you are too lazy to do that, then you may have a hard time in Borden (or St Jean) when you do not get up out of bed before afternoon tea.  The Courses you will be taking will be STANDARDIZED by the Training System.  Course Instructors are constantly changing, but the Course Standard will remain the same.  You will have to find out for yourself when you get there. 

navyguy28 said:

Navyguy

Forging Canadian soldiers

Forging Canadian soldiers
Dec. 17, 2006. 07:30 AM
ANDREW CHUNG
STAFF REPORTER

Silent in their misery and surviving on dangerously little sleep, the troops head out of their green canvas tent and into the blackness of the night.

They've just been screamed at by their commander, who's enraged by what he considers their lethargic response to the generators that have conked out, again, taking the front gate lights with them, leaving the camp blind and compromised.

It's 4:40 a.m. They are so tired that one private's eyes remain closed even as he begins to move. Another downs his wake-up potion: a pack of coffee crystals, a pack of whitener and a swig from his camouflage flask. The brittle cold, minus 15 degrees with the wind chill, hits them like a hard slap. The snow is cascading from the dark sky.

As they tend to the flooded generators, two obscured figures emerge from behind the curtain of snow.

"Go to hell, Canada! Get out of our country!" says the larger of the two with a Middle Eastern accent. He's still but a shadow, yet his billowing thoub and turban are visible to the now wide-eyed troops, who quickly mass at the gate and bring their fully automatic C7 rifles into both hands.

The man and his partner try to get inside the gate, but are blocked. "Stay back, sir!" yells Chase Miller, a 21-year-old private from Ottawa, brandishing his rifle, his eyes glued to the unwanted guest.

"F**k Canada! Allah Akhbar!" the man repeats, Arabic for "God is Great." "Infidels! I have bomb. I will kill you all!" he roars. As he begins to open his colourful cloak, and a bomb pack can be made out behind the fabric, Miller and the others open fire.

But it's not over. While the man lies writhing on the soft snow, the other reaches for the bomb at his friend's waist. He's riddled with bullets as well.

"Pretty intense," Miller says, shaking his head after the gun smoke clears.

If not for the fact that minutes later you see the two suicide bombers driving themselves away, you could mistake the blanks for real bullets, and think the event at the camp gate was occurring along the stark plains of Afghanistan.

But this isn't Kandahar, where Canadian soldiers are currently dying at a rate higher than any other NATO force in the war-torn country. Instead, it's a remote corner of Canadian Forces Base Borden, about 90 kilometres north of Toronto.

And this is the new Canadian boot camp.

For more go to : 
http://tinyurl.com/y9dbs6

chaz, you were with Bravo1 I assume?

I graduated 2 weeks prior with Alpha1; we were wondering how you guys were doing on your field weeks. 

For those going to Borden for reg force BMQ, ask chaz, myself or a few others who have done the 13 week course.  SoF, unforuntately your reserve course was far different from the 13 week reg force BMQ.  I've done both.

Hi Rubes,

I've just joined as a Reservist, but was told that the two of us will be sent to Borden with primarily Reg Force people.  Is there a difference in BMQ training from Reservist vs. Regular Force?

If you are going with Reg Force members then you are taking the 13 week Reg BMQ.  Your basic will be the same as all Reg Force members.  There was a reservist on my course as well, though I'm not sure why they take the 13 weeks.  There is a reserve BMQ in the summers that is much shorter, but from the sounds of things that's not what you are taking.  Good on you for taking the Reg basic.  You'll get to do some great stuff.  Good luck. 

Rubes said:
SoF, unforuntately your reserve course was far different from the 13 week reg force BMQ.  I've done both.

I see...just wondering exactly how different it is? :)

Any idea when the next BMQ starts after Jan 8? I'm not going to have my Application submitted until the new year, either way I'm getting pretty excited about the whole thing.

I just finished Basic in Borden with B Coy 1 Pl. If you have any questions, let me know.  I was the last course to graduate there (Dec 14th). Who knows, you might be in my room...lol

Congrats!!!  Did you do the 13 week course?  How was the weather for the week long "camping trip"?  :)

Thanks!  Feild Training week was cold and wet.  Feild Ex Week was cold, windy and snowy. God it was awesome!  I miss my rifle... :-[  Ya, it was the 13 week course.  There was an article on my platoon (and the new BMQ) in the Sunday Star last weekend.  3 Page Spread. I'm in the middle on Patrol!
Merry Christmas!

Sweet!  sounds like a good time! yeah, I saw the article on line!  saw the snow pat!  ;-)  Kinda kewl huh?  What other job in this country entales such training experience huh?  I can't WAIT!!!  :)

Dinger_ca said:
Any idea when the next BMQ starts after Jan 8? I'm not going to have my Application submitted until the new year, either way I'm getting pretty excited about the whole thing.

I beleive that the next group to leave for basic heads out in Feb. I was told that the Earlest that i would be leaving was the first week in Feb.

AMcLeod said:
I beleive that the next group to leave for basic heads out in Feb.

According to this thread and this one too, there are a couple others starting before Feb.  You might want to confirm facts before "believing".

First serial for BMQ in Borden for 2007 starts 8 JAN, 2 Platoons of 60 pers, so two courses running at the same time.  Two weeks later there will be 2 more Platoons of 60, so in therory there should be 240 recruits on the ground......give or take.  The course is comprised of an intake week, or week zero, or whatever you want to call it, to take care of administration, kit issue, PT test, etc.  At the end of that week, the course will "officially" start, for 13 weeks of training.  All Platoons of 60 are further broken down into 20 man sections administered by a Section commander and Section 2ic, usually a Sgt/PO, and MCpl/MS, the Platoon 2ic is a Sgt, and the Platoon Commander is  WO.
Any further questions relating to BMQ in Borden can be directed towards me, and I will try and help you out best I can.  Your asking yourself how I know so much about it, I work here, and I will see you all in Jan

To continue Borden takes in and trains reservists in the summer on a condensed 8 week package,  a lot of training is to be completed at the home unit before coming to Borden for BMQ, for example such stuff as first aid training, serving in a diverse enviroment, so on and such the like, as to shave off 5 weeks, for the first four or five weeks, you will also be required to work six day weeks, and I beleive also evenings, it is pretty much force fed to you with a fire hose........all good. There is also two platoons of strictly francophone courses running during the summer as well, it is hectic at best.
There will be a list of course requirements sent out to reserve units prior to bodies showing up for training in the summer, if any of those requirements or training is not fullfilled those without it will be returned to their unit.

Back