• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Berets and How to Form Them

I know it's difficult picturing what I described but it's the best I could do. Guess I better get working on getting a new beret soon. This time I'll be less liberal cutting the backing. Thanks for the help fellas.

Logistik's web site is down till tonight 10pm but....
https://www.logistikunicorp.com/default2.asp?lang=E

Since there's numerous ways to forming a beret, what about balmorals for the Scottish and Highland regiments?

Sukintu said:
Since there's numerous ways to forming a beret, what about balmorals for the Scottish and Highland regiments?

You got to form them  :eek:

There are as many ways to form a balmoral as there are head shapes..... what's yours ??? ;D

I gather that you are not in the CF yet but are planning to join a highland/scottish unit.
Go there, make friends, look at how they are doing theirs & emulate.  IIRC, most highland units would make their recruits wear berets for their Basic training... you've got time.

After my first course weekend my section Ic told me to take out the liner plus the two rivets and wear it in a hot shower pull to the side and also he said he lightly shaved the top of his to take all the fuzz off. Im still wondering if im gonna get in shit for it but mine was pretty well formed after the first day and i had a instructor ask me if my liner was still in i said yes and he was just like o oki

TorScotR said:
After my first course weekend my section Ic told me to take out the liner plus the two rivets and wear it in a hot shower pull to the side and also he said he lightly shaved the top of his to take all the fuzz off. Im still wondering if im gonna get in shit for it but mine was pretty well formed after the first day and i had a instructor ask me if my liner was still in i said yes and he was just like o oki

You do not have to take the liner out.  If your beret fits, and looks proper with the liner still in it, there is no need to remove it.  Some people remove the liner to make their beret fit them better, others don't have to.  Some people shave their berets, others don't.  It is all personal preference.

I have found that with the leather banded Berets ( proper name escapes me) I always had to remove the liner. ( all the rules for not to do this still apply ). My umpteenth replacement berets are now the cloth ones and with them I don't need to remove the liner.  Pet Peeve, a Beret should not have the folded down side covering you're entire ear. ( that is Beret not Balmoral)

I agree with George on this one. However, if you are going to leave the liner in just make sure to take that hot shower with it on (as previously suggested). TorScot, not as big of a deal as you won't be wearing a beret for the rest of your days anyways. Don't just take out the liner to take out the liner. If it's uncomfortable then adjust it accordingly, but don't go cutting the liner out for the fact of doing it. Shaving it will help, but go buy a cheap pack of razors from the dollar store instead of ruining a good one.

And as I was typing, helpup, I agree with your petpeeve. Also, if you see a colleague wearing his beret pulled down like an Italian Pizza Conaseiur please tell them to fix it, it's embarassing for everybody.

correct im in a scottish regiment. the balmorals are earned not issued. you get them after you finsih your dp1

I saw some guys from the 48th, doing their sq with balmorals and infantry badges...
Have times changed?

Sukintu said:
I saw some guys from the 48th, doing their sq with balmorals and infantry badges...
Have times changed?
actually I have heard that too I don't know how that would look but I wudnt mine also doing that with my regiment . They did take our sizes for the balmoral the other day so who knows. From what I heard it's when u graduate dp1 but that may be the cap badge

Some regiments give out the Balmoral after completion of SQ to wear at the home unit, however, they will/should not be allowed to wear their balmorals while they are on their DP1 Reserve Infantry course. They'll be able to wear it after the graduation parade. Some regiments that have Hackles will give the balmoral after SQ graduation but not the hackle. Upon graduation of DP1 Reserve, they get their hackle. Depends on the regiment.

Perhaps something of a tangent, but any ideas on how to get the smell of old army ass (not unlike hockey glove) out of a beret?  As an Air CIC officer, I don't wear it much, but a summer in CADPAT while working at a CSTC put a lot of sweat in my beret.  The smell is gone now, but I plan to go back this summer, and I don't relish the idea of smelling that everytime I move my head.

On a plus side, wearing it for two months straight formed that thing perfectly, although now I hear we are no longer supposed to have the trench.  Is this true? And if so, do I have to reform my beret, or is it okay since mine is already like that.

opie_cic said:
Perhaps something of a tangent, but any ideas on how to get the smell of old army ass (not unlike hockey glove) out of a beret?  As an Air CIC officer, I don't wear it much, but a summer in CADPAT while working at a CSTC put a lot of sweat in my beret.  The smell is gone now, but I plan to go back this summer, and I don't relish the idea of smelling that everytime I move my head.

On a plus side, wearing it for two months straight formed that thing perfectly, although now I hear we are no longer supposed to have the trench.  Is this true? And if so, do I have to reform my beret, or is it okay since mine is already like that.

How about washing the damn thing.

How about washing the damn thing.

Oh wow.  Walked right into that one.

Is there a particular method of doing so?  I spoke to the RSM (Reg force) he said just soak it and let it dry with a fabric softener sheet, but that didn't really do the trick.

Either hand wash it or throw it in the washer with some clothes. But don't throw it in the dryer.

opie_cic said:
although now I hear we are no longer supposed to have the trench.  Is this true? And if so, do I have to reform my beret, or is it okay since mine is already like that.

Never heard that before. I've been rockin the "trench" in the beret for over 6 years and no one has said a word about it.

opie_cic said:
Oh wow.  Walked right into that one.

Is there a particular method of doing so?

1- Open washing machine
2- Deposit beret inside washing machine
3- Insert soap of choice
4- Close washing machine
5- Select desired cycle ( cold water is recomended) and start
6- At end of cycle ( the end of cycle audio signal can assist with this step), open washing machine
7- Remove beret from washing machine
8- Place beret on head and begin the reforming process

I live in an apartment, you left out deposit coins.

I suppose I should have specified; I think putting in the washer would be a bad idea, as i have the cloth badge sewn on, with the little plastic albatreagle on there, and i would hate to lose it.  So by hand seems like the preferred method.  Is there a particular detergent to use, such as wool lite, or will any old laundry soap do?

Back