• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Berets and How to Form Them

P

PTE Gruending

Anyone who is in the Armed Forces will know that forming a Beret is an art-form. The Beret is one of the only "personalized" pieces of uniform you get to wear. Now I hacked the crap out of mine, with a cut liner, and a very trimmed "Cap Badge" holder. And now I am getting to not like the looks of it, and the maintenance is getting too high due to the screwed up shape. I plan on going to Stores and buying a new Beret, but I need some tips first.
I really like the "low riders" that some guys in my unit have, that is, the Beret just barely fits on the top of the head, and it is really low and smoothed out, almost looking like a skullcap. Any of you guys know how to get a Beret to look like that? What size should I get? IE: with band not tied, how tight should it be, and where should it sit on my head?
Thanks

well my beret i formed by having a warm shower with it on and pulled the flap down at the back and it formed very nicely

If you want a cool looking beret go to the PPCLI kitshop and buy the Belgien style beret or any of the regular unit kitshop. A bit more expensive but much better looking and comfortable with a cloth hat band as opposed to the leather band on issue berets. Also the colour stays green even after many years.But before buying you have to consult your regiment SOPs because I know some units like 1RCR allows to wear those beret only to officers or high-ranked warrants. Some unit even forbids you to cut the liner.

I‘ve had my beret for like 2 weeks now...and what a bit.. I‘ve soaked it in warm water like a million times.It‘s like perfect when I first put it on my head ... but when I take it off, and put it on later, the flap keeps going back up and it looks like a bad chief hat. Any suggestions on how to form my beret better.My uniform has to be perfect next week or im screwed.

When I was a cadet, it was almost the "norm" to have a cut out liner. Now, I have my liner still in my beret, but I untuck it and fold it onto itself so it doesn‘t interfere with the "flap" that over hang, making that nice and thin. Once it is wet, just wring it out a couple of times and form fit it (with the liner fold) to your head, you can pull it back to make a skull cap or you can do the old "tuck your hand behind your cap badge and pull" to make a sort of a trench, which looks silly in my opinion.

Please, whatever you do, do NOT do what I see most cadets at summer camp do...pull the overhang down by the bottom of your ear.. it looks just awful.

Bzz

OK - I can‘t believe I‘m admitting this, especially given the aura of Snr NCOish professionalism that I usually exude - but - one of my best berets? Wet it down, found a pumpkin reasonably close to my own head size - took some tailor‘s pins, and pinned it all around - to the shape that I wanted. Wet it once in awhile, left it pinned for ohhh.. a week or two.. then started wearing it. After I removed the pumpkin, of course... :warstory:

I found that when you take it off you should roll it up and yeah, fold the liner in onto itself at least, or cut it out. Worked for me, I don‘t know.

Please, whatever you do, do NOT do what I see most cadets at summer camp do...pull the overhang down by the bottom of your ear.. it looks just awful
kinda like this?
us_rangers_silver_star_for_takur_ghaz.jpg

I personally like the above look.

Does it say rangers on there uniform or am i just blind :confused:
oh i also like way they wear there beret

AGH! I really don‘t like the berret I was issued last summer.. It‘s incredibly hard to form; I‘m still working at it.. One thing I find that helps, though, is wetting it as usual, then leaving it on your head for a LONG time, but with a toque over it to hold it down..
Looks freakish, so don‘t let anyone see you with this touque/berret combination, but it does help form the berret good.

Which reminds me, I will do that before an evening of video game playing.. or studying. I wet my beret, and then fit a baseball hat over it.. works great. Logistik, next time can you post a trimmed picture, maybe with just the heads of the people?? That was a huge pic!!

Bzz

The quality of beret‘s has deteriated over the year‘s.

At one time all‘s one had to do was get it soaking wet and put it on the old dome and wear it till dry and voila a shaped beret.

Now the material is so thin that you have to leave the liner in our it look‘s like a soggy wet towel.

As some one suggested above go and spend the money on a good Belgian Beret.

Yes, Balmorals are great, but I think that the Glengarry looks far better. Are the Glens only used for ceremonial purposes nowadays (Argyll should know this)? What about in the UK forces, is it the same? Why is it that Scottish regs have both?

humint, My unit, the 48th Highlanders, wear three kinds of headdress when not in the field:

Balmoral - Is worn with combats, which is the usual dress for parade nights.

Glen Garry - is worn with DEU‘s, otherwise known as the green blazer and the kilt. This is what was worn on the Men‘s Christmas Dinner night, and for the Cpl Dyer funeral.

Bonnet - The tall black feather bonnet which folds over one side is worn with the scarlets for full (No 1 Dress) ceremonial events, such as Rememberance Day and the Queen‘s visit. Although I am told many of them are synthetic, because these chapeau‘s run about a grand per.

Now, I wish I knew what DEU‘s stood for, and when I‘ll be getting issued them!

I can‘t wait till after my infantry course when I get to ditch my silly crap hat (beret) and finally wear some decent headgear!

Dileas gu brath!

Back