• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Berets and How to Form Them

One trick I used to find that worked well was to take a disposable razor and shave the beret to remove the excess fuzz. It gives the beret a cleaner look.

My  :2c:

Don't pull the right hand side of the beret down so hard that it covers your ear. Fold the beret to the right and use the palm of your hand to gently persuade it into shape.

We haven't even discussed the "trench" of your beret...

In the armour corps it's a no no but all the other goofy trades like to have them so they catch water or something...

Bzzliteyr said:
We haven't even discussed the "trench" of your beret...

In the armour corps it's a no no but all the other goofy trades like to have them so they catch water or something...

"Trench"?  You are being very PC and polite to call it a "trench".  I have always heard of it being referred to as something else.  >:D

Man I am so glad I have began to get used to the wedge! Much much less work, and doubles as a pillow during nap time :cheers:...Right, EYE IN THE SKY ....LOL :nod:

Slow down there junior, even the RCAF needs to wear berets from time to time .....so you better get one formed.....

Well just to put your mind at ease Sapper I DO have 2 that are formed I just never wear them...LOL.....and most guys I know never were a berret at work .

peterpan said:
Well just to put your mind at ease Sapper I DO have 2 that are formed I just never wear them...LOL.....and most guys I know never were a berret at work .

I wasn't a berret at work either.  I was a Crewman.  ;D

PMedMoe said:
What's a berret?  Is that like a ferret?  ;)
  LOL my bad.....but honestly it's the french way to say it ::)

OMG.....I just picked up my other error.....wear a beret not were a beret LMAO....thanks George

peterpan said:
Man I am so glad I have began to get used to the wedge! Much much less work, and doubles as a pillow during nap time :cheers:...Right, EYE IN THE SKY ....LOL :nod:

No strings to mess around with in the 'head wallet' either 8)

A few guys on my BMQ course started doing this, and I just saw a MS reforming his beret this way last week, so it bears repeating...

1. Fill your bathroom/kitchen sink with warm/hot water
2. Put your beret in the water (after taking the badge off, of course)
3. Gently wring out the beret.  You don't want too much water, but you don't want it too wrung out, either.
4. Put the beret on your head and form it the way you like it
5. Put your CF touque on OVER the beret.  It will form and crease where you put the creases, and form-fit itself to your head.
6. Wear that for a few hours around your house/apartment/barracks and it should work like a charm.

Also to note, do not do this:

I saw an NCdt at BMQ in St. Jean who had actually sewn the "wave" creases into his beret.  Apparently, either his staff didn't pick up on it, or (more likely the case) didn't really feel the need to jack someone up for sewing a "wave" into his beret, as him wearing it was likely punishment enough...lol

Hi all,

I'm just curious as to how you all form your berets and if there is a difference in how they do it between regiments/corps etc.

I know some people cut the cardboard backing down, some like the big "trench" thing on the left side, as well as the ones with the leather sweatband that seem to have a much thicker wool, with much more material. I've also seen ones where the cap badge sits basically on the side of the person's head and there is no discernible part that stands up, apparently this is the way the Armoured Corps does it?

Just wondering how people on here form theirs, how they modify it, and if there's a reason or tradition behind it.

I've never been taught a "tradition", but have always done it the same way. Liner out, cardboard cut down to shape of capbadge, soaked in hot water and right side pulled down but keeping the capbadge upright. Then again, I don't use the logistik unicorp pizza berets, so I don't end up with massive amounts of fabric over my ear or a giant trench behind the badge.

2ndChoiceName said:
Hi all,

I'm just curious as to how you all form your berets and if there is a difference in how they do it between regiments/corps etc.

I know some people cut the cardboard backing down, some like the big "trench" thing on the left side, as well as the ones with the leather sweatband that seem to have a much thicker wool, with much more material. I've also seen ones where the cap badge sits basically on the side of the person's head and there is no discernible part that stands up, apparently this is the way the Armoured Corps does it?

Just wondering how people on here form theirs, how they modify it, and if there's a reason or tradition behind it.

Sorry.  There is just too much crap in what you just posted.  In most cases the "Trench" behind the cap badge usually is called something else that begins with a "C".  The Armour Corps do not have a tradition of wearing their badge on the side.  We could go on and on about your post, but it is a waste of time and space as this topic has been discussed in detail and length already.

TOPIC LOCKED

PuckChaser said:
Then again, I don't use the logistik unicorp pizza berets, so I don't end up with massive amounts of fabric over my ear or a giant trench behind the badge.

The Logistik ones have actually changed quite a bit and are decent now compared to the purchased ones.

I have just merged a bouquet of Beret threads into this one, and stickied it.

There should be enough repetitive advice in here to last until the new polymer ones come out circa 2034.

Back