• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Barret vs the Mac.

i prefer the feel and accuracy of the bolt-action Mac Millian even though i'm not sure if the mac is a .50cal i'd take it

bobtiji said:
i prefer the feel and accuracy of the bolt-action Mac Millian even though i'm not sure if the mac is a .50cal i'd take it

What, if any, experience do you have, at 16 years old, with a McMillan? Yes, it comes in .50 cal.

As Emeril would say "Lets kick it up a notch"
xm_109_1.jpg

my father got a similar and i already tried the barret m82.

bobtiji said:
my father got a similar and i already tried the barret m82.

Are you saying your father has a McMillan .50 or something similar in that calibre?

Uhm -- The Barrett and Mac .50's are prohibited...

he doesnt have them anymore but when he had them he wasnt in this contryof ours  :cdn:

bobtiji said:
he doesnt have them anymore but when he had them he wasnt in this contryof ours :cdn:

Man, everytime you get called on one of your statements, you just keep coming up with another weak excuse. You'd better read & heed the comments over in the grenade thread. Either that or you'd better write a good clear post stating al the whys, whens, whats, wheres and hows. Cause your young credibility is definately on the block here.

You know i've never tried any of those weapons but i'm leaning toward the mac.
no special reason i just like bolt-action's

Just an idle thought; what if a semi-auto .50 was given an automatic sear and a "snail drum" magazine. SF troops would then have a "LHG" (for want of a better term) which would primaraly fire semi-auto at defined targets, but could be used to lay down supressive fire if needed (rear guard dealing with an enemy APC for example). Considering the size and weight of a "real" HMG, this would be far eaiser to transport and set up.

As far as the preference is concerned, I have never had the pleasure of firing a .50 rifle, and the only weapon of that description I have ever handled was a Boys anti-tank rifle (no, I havn't been in that long!), which struck me as being insanely large and awkward to fire. On a theoretical basis, I would think the Mac, with fewer moving parts and a bolt action would be more accurate than a Barret, which would have residual vibrations from the movement of the action to affect the barrel.

Just an idle thought; what if a semi-auto .50 was given an automatic sear and a "snail drum" magazine. SF troops would then have a "LHG" (for want of a better term) which would primaraly fire semi-auto at defined targets, but could be used to lay down supressive fire if needed (rear guard dealing with an enemy APC for example). Considering the size and weight of a "real" HMG, this would be far eaiser to transport and set up.

So is an M72.

While we're on the subject of HMGs for supression, I would like to note that the Chinese type 89 12.7mm HMG is man portable, weighing in at only 26kg or so with tripod complete. A 3-4 man det can easily carry it with a reasonable amount of ammo.

type89_mg127_1.jpg

The only .50 I've fired weighed 144lbs.  That said, I saw S&W .500 mag at Shooter's Express last week in Charlotte.  It could be tried out at $5 a shot.  From the look of the round, you had best have travelers insurance for the setting and casting of your wrist.

The idea of a full auto .50 rifle is absurd.  Any supression needing volume of fire would be better handled with any number of weapons.  If I wanted to haul that much weight, give me the C6.  Any hard target needing multiple .50 hits would be better engaged with rapid (relatively) semi-auto.  Or more likely, an AT wpn, indirect fire, fast air etc.

To answere the original question I'd shoot either, but only accurate rifles are really interesting.  I'd prefer the Mac.

Steve

Back