• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My recruiter told me..

CivJuniorProgrammer

Reaction score
I'm curious on how true this is my recruiter told me that with the Army vs. the Airforce, in the army it i'snt so much about your skill level as it based upon on your performance vs. within the Airforce its more based upon your skill when it comes to promotions, recognition etc is this true?

Performance and skill are two complementary terms. How can you perform well without any skills? Similarly you may have skills but can you perform well?

In the infantry shooting a rifle well is one of the chief tasks, but anyone can tell you that you must master the skill of shooting before you can perform well. If you have mastered the skill of shooting, you may not perform well under stress such as when there is an enemy who is shooting back at you.

As an air force mechanic, you have the skills but not necessarily the performance to match. For example you may be overly meticulous and cautious in doing all your tasks but not perform as well as other because you're too slow. Many repairs tasks are based on the average time to complete the repair task. If you take more time and use more materials in comparison to the other technicians who successfully completing the same task but who are on time, then you are not performing as well.

Performance and skill are two complementary terms. How can you perform well without any skills? Similarly you may have skills but can you perform well?

In the infantry shooting a rifle well is one of the chief tasks, but anyone can tell you that you must master the skill of shooting before you can perform well. If you have mastered the skill of shooting, you may not perform well under stress such as when there is an enemy who is shooting back at you.

As an air force mechanic, you have the skills but not necessarily the performance to match. For example you may be overly meticulous and cautious in doing all your tasks but not perform as well as other because you're too slow. Many repairs tasks are based on the average time to complete the repair task. If you take more time and use more materials in comparison to the other technicians who successfully completing the same task but who are on time, then you are not performing as well.
I found those who were quick did not follow the book, cut corners and often remembered torque specs that never were. Caused and broke more things then it was worth to not follow the book.
Those who were proficient, often followed the book, referenced torque specs and had experience doing the job.

I found those who were quick did not follow the book, cut corners and often remembered torque specs that never were. Caused and broke more things then it was worth to not follow the book.
Those who were proficient, often followed the book, referenced torque specs and had experience doing the job.
And that is the trick. Follow the procedures in the manual and be meticulous, but don't be dawdling about, focus on the job.

Hello! I had a question.. would BMQ make more sense in the summer or the winter? Sweat to death or freeze to death. I really don't know what is easier! Any help?

Hello! I had a question.. would BMQ make more sense in the summer or the winter? Sweat to death or freeze to death. I really don't know what is easier! Any help?

You won’t get to reliably predict what will be ‘easier’ through the course of your various basic training courses. I would suggest get in as soon as you’re able, and start earning a salary, time in rank, and contributing to your pension sooner. Waiting longer for a BMQ that you might think is easier could delay your career progressing and salary progression as a knock-on effect.

The military is sometimes really hard. Sometimes it’s supposed to be. Don’t focus on how tough the next thing is, focus on how tough you can be.

Last edited:
Back