• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Attitudes towards the Liberals

Well, then be happy with more Trudeau until 2030…
My riding has been Conservative since Confederation so there is little impact on my vote either way. The last election was the first in decades that I have voted Conservative or Liberal or NDP. There are altenatives and options out there for people with differing viewpoints. But I think Trudeaus time is over no matter what alternative is provided

But I think Trudeaus time is over no matter what alternative is provided
Naw, I figure close to election time pictures of Poilievre with his shoelaces untied will surface and people will have to block their noses and vote Liberal again. Or he might get caught on camera saying bless you when someone sneezes, which is a dog whistle for anti-abortion extremists.

If some current reports are correct, and the leader of the opposition has indeed refused to undergo a security clearance, that's another own goal that the incumbent governing party will mercilessly exploit.

If some current reports are correct, and the leader of the opposition has indeed refused to undergo a security clearance, that's another own goal that the incumbent governing party will mercilessly exploit.

If true I have 2 questions:

How can one hold a position Fed Gov and refuse that ? And how ever they can needs to be changed so they can't.

What is he hiding ?

I’d like to know the source of these reports. And I Hope someone asks him “can you confirm or deny this?”

He was a Minister and member of the Privy Council before did he not have security checks and clearance then?

First I hear of this.

I suspect he has a certain degree of security clearance but that to have access to the kind of info he is asking for he needs to be cleared higher.

I bet some or a lot of MPs don’t necessarily have that level of security clearance.

If I understand correctly he is refusing to be cleared higher so he won’t be constrained in talking about it?

This quite likely might be an own goal but it might also be a means to an end.

How can one hold a position Fed Gov and refuse that ? And how ever they can needs to be changed so they can't.
It may be a case where he has a only a certain level.
What is he hiding ?
It may be to avoid being constrained by holding that clearance? Not sure.

Seems to me the Opposition should be cleared for situations like this. Situations that should be bi partisan.

The Line digs up the ghost of Jon Vance to skewer the PMO CoS’s line that she tells JT everything.

Because this serious allegation of misconduct against Canada's top soldier — a powerful man accused of exploiting a woman he had power over — got all the way to the top of our self-styled feminist government and ... died. It was looked into it a bit, and then nothing happened. Vance continued to serve for several more years, retiring of his own volition slightly before the Global first broke news of the scandal.
There's two problems here for the PMO. The first is the obvious appalling hypocrisy of a "feminist" government essentially shrugging when a woman appealed for help through the only official channel available to her. Telford, testifying about all of this in 2021, agreed that more needed to have been done. No kidding. She also lamented that the woman making the accusation had no place to go. As Line editor Gurney noted in a National Post column at the time, that's not at all true. The woman had a place to go: the PMO, via the defence minister and ombudsperson. The woman got where she was supposed to go. It's just that when she got there, right into Telford's office, no one cared enough to do anything.
That's not not having a place to go. That's having a place to go, and being ignored when you get there.
But there was another problem with Telford's testimony in 2021, as well as the prime minister's comments: they continued to insist that while they knew there'd been some kind of allegation against Vance, they didn't know what it was. "Nobody knew that it was a 'Me Too' complaint," Trudeau said in 2021. In her testimony, Telford said something similar: “I assumed this could have been a serious allegation. But I had absolutely no information about it.”
Bullshit. Wrong. Inaccurate. A lie. Global News had already reported by that point that internal communications in the PMO, which they obtained and reported on, included specific reference to "allegations of sexual harassment." It was right in the emails. It's clear that no one knew all the details when the report first reached the PMO, and it's possible that the PM himself was kept carefully isolated from some of what was known, but the documents already on the record revealed that the PMO's position was to lie about what they knew and when.

If that is directed at me, quite the opposite. He’s very good at being a politician. He’s been at it a long time. You think he’s lying I don’t think he is. I think he has a knack to shut down any rabbit holes people would like him to go down. I also think if he truly believed that the outcome was in doubt that he would be smart enough to exploit it.

I think he’s making a pile of mistakes on lot of things but he is very strategic in his politics. Of that I have no doubt.

It’s the only career he’s ever had; he’s been a Member of Parliament since he was 25. No surprise he’d be good at parliamentary politics by now.

I’d like to know the source of these reports. And I Hope someone asks him “can you confirm or deny this?”
It was mentioned by Katie Telford during the testimony. That being said, I don't know where she got that info from.

I figure the Liberals will pull out a full handgun ban with 2 weeks left in the election and run on that alone as a wedge issue.
They can't. Parliament is dissolved when the writ is dropped. All bills still in motion, die on the table.

Besides, they can't organize a one man race to a two person shitter. There's a long rough road ahead, for them, before they have everyone's guns in the truck.

What is he hiding ?
Likely nothing. It's a drive by smear designed to last more than a few days. It's just a little more of the PMO's divide and conquer, over absolutely nothing. His supporters will deny everything and the extremes on the left will be asking,"What is he hiding?" More division and with its tangents, more speculation and rumours. A thirty second phone conversation with the PMO to their favourite journalist could be all it would take to light a little bush fire, Pretty good mileage for one sentence. If they get a bump in the standings, they'll keep dragging it out and refining it.

Me? I think it's a trap of some sort and Poliviere knows what it is.

The leader of the oposition, like every other MP's on that sole basis, is not repeat not part of the Governement.

That is why legislatures around the Western world have developped separate security measures to vet the members of the legislatures who will oversee any of the security apparatus and the legislatures themselves have built security protocols and protected enclosures where national security issues can be discussed safely.

We have yet to do that in Canada and it would be about time that Parliament deal with the matter so we can get better elected oversight of the various defense and security forces. Of course, that won't happen because Parliament is controled by the PMO by scaring into line the majority MP's to do the governement bidding on everything and the last thing Governement wants is oversight.

In Canada, our elected representatives are failing us.

In Canada, our elected representatives are failing us.
Yes they are.
In a healthy democracy, cabinet is the institution that sets policy and should display solidarity with the Prime Minister who is the Chair of Cabinet. Members of the party who are not in cabinet should be free to hold cabinet to account in caucus, in committee, and in the house of commons and not be the trained seals that they obviously are. Votes of confidence (budget) are where the party whip comes out, but other than that the MP's (no matter what party) should be free to probe and question cabinet to hold them to account.

The power of the PMO needs to be burned out to the roots and we need to rewrite our security orders for parliamentarians so that the most mundane of documents that are over classified are able to be discussed in a public forum. We are in danger of losing our democracy, not due to foreign intrusions, but by the concentration of power to a small group of apparatchiks. Actually "Apparatchiks" is the wrong word, this group is properly called "Nomenklatura".

Apparatchiks - An apparatchik was a full-time, professional functionary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union or the Soviet government apparat, someone who held any position of bureaucratic or political responsibility, with the exception of the higher ranks of management called nomenklatura.

Nomenklatura - (Russian: номенклату́ра, IPA: [nəmʲɪnklɐˈturə] (listen); from Latin: nomenclatura) were a category of people within the Soviet Union and other Eastern Bloc countries who held various key administrative positions in the bureaucracy, running all spheres of those countries' activity: government, industry, agriculture, education, etc., whose positions were granted only with approval by the communist party of each country or region

They can't. Parliament is dissolved when the writ is dropped. All bills still in motion, die on the table.
Nothing's stopping them from throwing that in as a platform plank to appeal to (enough?) voters in that bit of red, though ....
Most-Canadians-live-south-of-this-line-1200x702.jpg
I personaly don't think Team Red'll go quite that far, even with its most-rabid base drooling for such a thing, but never say never, either.

Yes they are.
In a healthy democracy, cabinet is the institution that sets policy and should display solidarity with the Prime Minister who is the Chair of Cabinet. Members of the party who are not in cabinet should be free to hold cabinet to account in caucus, in committee, and in the house of commons and not be the trained seals that they obviously are. Votes of confidence (budget) are where the party whip comes out, but other than that the MP's (no matter what party) should be free to probe and question cabinet to hold them to account.
Ministers do not need to display solidarity with the PM or PMO. They are all MPs, all elected to represent their ridings, and fundimentally all equal players. We don’t elect a PM just as we don’t elect ministers. This consolidation of power is a very recent thing.

We also have weakened the other checks and balances in play to the point of being ineffective because we do not use them properly. The senate is supposed to be a equal player with the house of commons, able to amend, propose, and kill bills. The PM isn’t supposed to appoint them, just as they aren’t supposed to appoint the GG, the final check and balance to make sure poor legislation isn’t passed.

Basically we don’t use our democracy as we are supposed to and we would throw a fit if we actually started to do so. How Canadian of us.

Back