• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armyrick's Land Healing Farm...

Armyrick you like this

A few months later, Rapella saw that the birds looked healthier—with shiny feathers and bright-colored wattles—and that their eggs had a fuller taste. “I started wondering if I could take on more chickens and create an ‘Alpine egg’ to sell in local markets,” he says. Today, he sells his uovo di selva, or egg of the woods, to about 400 direct consumers and 40 restaurants.

Another one for Armyrick and history nuts, the story of Darwin and Ascension Island is very interesting.

So still rocking out the Rick's ecosystem farm with the help of my wife and my two sons. Some updates.

Cows have been on grass bale grazing for 3 weeks now. Want to learn more about bale grazing? Lemme know.

Lambing is done. Rough year, 15% mortality rate (I usually have less than 5% mortality rate). We figured out the causes though.

My ZERO waste concepts have been turn up a huge notch. As many of you know, I am also a slaughterman Butcher (I mostly do kills, skinning and gutting). I have returned to the original abattoir I was at, which is Grey County Meats (Stayner had an arsehole there I was about to pound senseless, so to stay out of jail, I left).
My zero waste philosophy?
1. The ENTIRE animal should be used on slaughter
2. All pig, goat, sheep and cattle hides should be kept for clothing and material (I have a shit ton of sheep and cattle hides)
3. All gut contents (especially ruminants) should be kept as short ready to use fertilizer
4. All bones should be rendered for protein meal for pets/zoo animals or bones ground into soil fertilizer
5. All fat (A single 1,000 lbs steer can easily have 30-80 Lbs of pure fat trim thrown out.) This stuff should be rendered for cooking fats (healthier than bullshit plant seed oils) or it should be considered seriously as a fuel source (its potent stuff)
6. Skulls make awesome decorative pieces!
7. I am scooping up dairy bulls and tweeking their initial nutrient uptake to make them beef powerhouses (early stages)

I have been practicing as much of this as I can lately (like last year or two). The cattle hides have come into use lately as shelter covers for winter sheep and rabbit shelters (my wife made an awesome light weight geodesic dome last year)

Ohh, and if anyone says "Beef and lamb farming is the worst impact on the climate/environment/globe...blah, blah" Slap the ever living crap out of them (only if you know for sure you won't get to jail or get beat up)

More to follow

I thought everything not used went to Rothsay?

(Or as my Father called it driving to Port Elgin in the summer " The smell of heaven")

I thought everything not used went to Rothsay?

(Or as my Father called it driving to Port Elgin in the summer " The smell of heaven")
Rendering plants like Atwood do something with guts and trim but not very efficiently used. Incinerating it and some of it being used for fertilizer is to be blunt, not the best option. By a long shot.

This is a great thread, Rick.

Reminds me of when my grandfather retired, he bought a little hobby farm. I used to go there. But, he didn't know much about about farming.
It's was like the old TV show, "Green Acres". :)

More updates.

So this year, I am having one hell of a great grazing season with both cattle and sheep. Its kind of funny because normally I give them some supplemental treats such as sun dried kelp, minerals, powdered mollases and every week or two, whole oats and barley (as a reward treat).

since my financial woes of 2022 have gone through the roof (Partially or mostly to blame on CRA), I can't give my critters any of those things. So instead I have really ramped up the grazing management (multiple paddock moves, variable stock density, variable rest times and re-locating farm seeds and nutrients). Surprisingly, my animals are in excellent health and do terrific land management.

Nothing like ruminants as probably the most efficient food source. In almost any land environment.

Here is a good video from one of my many heros. Lots of science so beware, be prepared to dork out a bit on biology, chemistry and physics

One of the biggest issues I have with so called "environmentalist" or BS "Climate warriors/saviours" is they have zero understanding of how, well planet Earth works

-We will always have/must have carbon emmissions (organic or chemical) plants will die without carbon cycling
-Its of vital importance to really tip climate to a better function, is SOIL management on land (Oceans have similar effects, see Green Wave)
-Oxygen/Carbon/Nitrogen are constantly cycling through our atmosphere/land/water
-Basically we are transport vessels for elements
-Its VITAL to build up carbon soil (via plant exudates mostly) to act as a sponge and hold more H2O in the soil
-More on (chemical fertilizers, tillage, bio-cides) or Moron agriculture is NOT the answer

Does anyone still think that this is just trudeau's push on Canadians? It's happening everywhere. Not just here. The world hates the globalist trudeau, not just us. Being a farmer protest, I put it here.

One of the biggest issues I have with so called "environmentalist" or BS "Climate warriors/saviours" is they have zero understanding of how, well planet Earth works

-We will always have/must have carbon emmissions (organic or chemical) plants will die without carbon cycling
-Its of vital importance to really tip climate to a better function, is SOIL management on land (Oceans have similar effects, see Green Wave)
-Oxygen/Carbon/Nitrogen are constantly cycling through our atmosphere/land/water
-Basically we are transport vessels for elements
-Its VITAL to build up carbon soil (via plant exudates mostly) to act as a sponge and hold more H2O in the soil
-More on (chemical fertilizers, tillage, bio-cides) or Moron agriculture is NOT the answer

And, ironically, the age groups with the least knowledge, and who don't vote, seem to be driving the boat ;)

Gen Z, Millennials Stand Out for Climate Change Activism, Social Media Engagement With Issue​

Majorities of Americans support array of measures to address climate change but stop short of full break with fossil fuels​

Partisan gaps in views of climate change remain vast – from the salience of the issue to the role for government addressing it. And divisions over renewable energy and stricter environmental regulations are wider today than they were under Donald Trump’s administration, due to increased opposition among Republicans.

But meaningful generational differences over the need for climate action, and engagement with the issue, stand alongside these partisan divisions. Younger activists are often at the forefront of the climate debate, with voices such as those of Greta Thunberg and the Sunrise Movement – a youth-led political organization urging increased attention to climate change – among the most visible in global conversations advocating climate action.

Younger Americans – Millennials and adults in Generation Z – stand out in a new Pew Research Center survey particularly for their high levels of engagement with the issue of climate change. Compared with older adults, Gen Zers and Millennials are talking more about the need for action on climate change; among social media users, they are seeing more climate change content online; and they are doing more to get involved with the issue through activities such as volunteering and attending rallies and protests.

Calves have come hard and fast this year. This lot is particular an energetic bunch that love to test their wheels (they love to run like maniacs)
Me "Calves, the fence ends here" Pointing to electric fence
Calves (Running right through the electric fence) "Guess what, Mother fucker!"
Me "Fuck" (Now starts the game of calf round up) The calves don't have an ounce of fear as they go OUT the paddock with electric fence. So I turn off the fence to make it a more pleasant experience going back in. Calves look at it and act as though I am running the Jurassic Park T-Rex paddock voltage on the fence.
Me "In, ya wee assholes" Pointing towards the paddock.
Calves "Fuck you" and promptly take off in the opposite direction at speeds that could make a cheetah proud.
20 minutes later, I am exhausted and my nerves are frayed.
One moo from Momma cow and like magic the little shits teleport back into the paddock.

Yeah, some days get interesting.

Calves have come hard and fast this year. This lot is particular an energetic bunch that love to test their wheels (they love to run like maniacs)
Me "Fuck" (Now starts the game of calf round up) The calves don't have an ounce of fear as they go OUT the paddock with electric fence. So I turn off the fence to make it a more pleasant experience going back in. Calves look at it and act as though I am running the Jurassic Park T-Rex paddock voltage on the fence.
Calves "Fuck you" and promptly take off in the opposite direction at speeds that could make a cheetah proud.
One moo from Momma cow and like magic the little shits teleport back into the paddock.

What are you raising? Bison? Or velociraptors....now THAT would be interesting.....

Has anything changed?

my pigs use to go through the electric fence to eat the burdocks and thistle and then right back again for the pool you could hear them squeal
What are you raising? Bison? Or velociraptors....now THAT would be interesting.....
I think Dexters? Some of the older breeds can have a little more personality and taste mine were mostly Highlands
Moving cattle has to be to most soul destroying task in farming. Luckily, they are tasty. So, so tasty.
Never had much trouble moving them, depends on the familiarity. If you are moving regularly from pasture to pasture you will understand what the grass is greener on the other side really means as they are some excited. If not regularly then you are really just like a border collie moving into their uncomfort zone and they move away from you. Now one time my neighbours cows stole my bull and the only way he was leaving those 40 new cows is I had to cut him out when they were on the move again. Tried to move him by himself. No way after catching a horn and hoof I said enough of that

@suffolkowner regarding Pigs. I have had positive and not so positive experiences with them. I used to train them to follow me with a bucket of food. That helped (their intelligence is excellent for stuff like this)
I have gotten pigs to eat the nastiest of plants and by the root too such as burdock, thistle, etc.

Back