• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arid CADPAT LBV and TacVest in Afghanistan

basxav

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all:
I asked a question about the new tactical/lead beraing vest manufactured by Pacific Safety products at www.canadiansoldier.com  Michael recommended that I come here to ask my questions as there are many knowledgeable members.

I have some additional questions about the new vest as I'm working on a 1/6th action figure project and I'd like to make it as accurate as possible.
1) Is the new desert CADPAT tactical vest identical to the temperate version?
2) Have any modfiications have been incorporated in the new Paciific Prioduct vest compared to the temperate version? Are these modifications visible or subtle?
3) Where can I find reference photos that show the evolution of the Canadian tactical vest from Gen 1 to Gen 4

Thanks very much!
xavier

Pacific Safety makes the Canadian fragmentation vest.
http://www.pacsafety.com/products/4100.htm

FellFab makes the tactical vest.
http://www.fellfab.com/products3.html

As I have never personally seen an AR (desert) vest, I cannot answer your questions, but perhaps this will help.
http://army.ca/cgi-bin/album.pl?photo=ZMisc/A490.jpg
It appears to the same design to me.

Xavier,

To the best of my knowledge, the answers to your questions are:

1.  Yes.

2.  You are talking about two entirely different vests, which is likely causing some confusion.  The Pacific Safety Products "Patrol Vest" that you have seen photos of on this site and others was part of a small contract for a very specific CF unit.  The standard-issue CF Tac Vest in both CADPAT TW and CADPAT AR is manufactured by Fellfab, as JBeach has pointed out.

3.  Your best source for reference photos is the DND Combat Camera site.  To my knowledge, there is no such thing as "Gen 1" to "Gen 4" where standard-issue tac vests are concerned.  There have been only two designs manufactured and issued on a large scale - the "Jean Jacket" vest that started production in 1996, and the current Tac Vest. 

Mark & JBeach:
Thanks very much for the clarification. I'll pop by Fellfab's website to get some reference photos and then head off to Combat camera for additional. Is it known which Candian unit bought the Pacific Safety product's vest? I ask so I can tell the other 1/6th forum I hang out that the desert CADPAT vest that's included in the photogallery link was a 'special order' for a specif unit not a general issue item

Thanks again!

xavier

Xavier,

I thought that I was being quite obvious in a (admittedly needlessly) roundabout way.  The PSP "Patrol Vests" were produced for JTF 2.  Everyone else gets the standard-issue Tac Vest, with all of its identified shortcomings.

The PSP PV's I've seen are marked "Gen 4", they also come in both CADPAT (TW) and CADPAT (AR).  They also have a "matching" Chest Rig as well, that shares very similar features and can interchange some of the the modular pouches.  From what I've read hear about the Tactical vest shortcomings the CAF would be wise to bring on the PV for Recce and infantry units.  The current Tactical Vest would still suit most Arty personnel and non-front line troops that don't need more combat loads.

Check out the post on the PV and TV, you will find some pics of the PV there.

i noticed this as i was crusn' ebay today, and i really stood out. i thooght it must have been a trial of some sort?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Load-Bearing-Vest-Canadian-CADPAT-AR-Genuine-Article_W0QQitemZ180025663782QQihZ008QQcategoryZ36071QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

never seen one before. Looks kinda home-made to me. If it isn't, someone find this idiot and charge his ass.

They were issued & used by some in Afghanistan.  I never saw them while I was there & but I saw some of the roto 0 PRT guys with them before they left (though I never saw these in pictures sent back & nobody had them when I got into country).

I've recently noticed three arid Tac Vests being worn by the CSOR guys pictured in the Maple Leaf with the graduation article.

MCG said:
I've recently noticed three arid Tac Vests being worn by the CSOR guys pictured in the Maple Leaf with the graduation article.

they (the vests) kinda look like these........

http://www.oneshottactical.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=oneshot&Product_Code=CR-HSGWAR-3-DD&Category_Code=CR-HSGI

It appears to me to be the same as the the old load bearing vest issued to the CF in Bosnia in the 90's. The only difference being the material is Arid Region CadPatinstead of solid green.

I've seen Arid CADPAT vests, but not the old 'sleeveless jean jacket' pattern. The ones I've seen were the 'new pattern', with the mesh, and without the dumb huge pocket on the back.

I've never even seen Temperate CADPAT vests in the old 'sleeveless jean jacket' pattern, for that matter.

Patrolman said:
It appears to me to be the same as the the old load bearing vest issued to the CF in Bosnia in the 90's. The only difference being the material is Arid Region CadPatinstead of solid green.
That is what it is & it was issued

paracowboy said:
I've seen Arid CADPAT vests, but not the old 'sleeveless jean jacket' pattern.
I believe these were bought in responce to public/media shock that our troops wore green on Op APOLLO & before the new TacVest.

Athena Roto 3 had the same similar jean jacket LBV issued to them in Kabul a yr ago. There are new Arid CADPAT TV in the system, and are identical in every way to the temperate TVs we have all been issued. I imagine they will be out as general issue to all troops when they go over fairly soon.

Ack...the Jean Jacket!  About the only thing that was good for was ordering una chai, molim....

so, they gave guys a layer of denim to wear OVER everything else in the desert? Brilliant.  ::)

Now, the next question: is this stuff available civvie-side? 'Cause if it ain't, buddy is selling DND property and needs to go to jail.

paracowboy said:
so, they gave guys a layer of denim to wear OVER everything else in the desert? Brilliant.  ::)
Does it really matter if the vest is a breathable material when there is armour between the vest & the wearer?

Yes we got them in Roto 1, but we were not using them cause they were less practical than our new LCV.

MCG said:
Does it really matter if the vest is a breathable material when there is armour between the vest & the wearer?
yup. One more layer is one more layer, and traps heat that much more. Not to mention (although I'm about to) that the vest in question is a poorly-thought-out POS.

Thankfully, someone seems to be listening, as we are SUPPOSEDLY getting money to kit out one of our companies with off-the-shelf webbing.

i knew there already had been a thread on this vest before...........................

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/28913.0.html

:salute: :cdn:

Back