• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Application Process Samples [2003 - 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gunshark said:
You're doing the ACSO test separately from Aircrew Selection? I was just at the Aircrew Selection and we first did what I thought was the AEC test, and then flew the sim in the days following that.

I'm still not 100% certain on what that test was, but I think it was for AEC. Not sure if ACSO test is a different one, but it might involve some similar components to what we did in Trenton. If you need to know the instruments but don't have the study booklet, just read on them online. The primary instruments are similar on most aircraft.
I've read that ACSO tests are done during the day when you're not in the sim (since it's 1hr a day for each person), but my interviewer said the ACSO test is done before CAPSS.  Either way I know I will be doing CAPSS but I'm actually glad the ACSO test is before then so I don't have to focus on two different things.

Secondly, what about the ASC?  If you'd prefer to talk over PM, let me know, but I have some general questions about it.

Noctis said:
One week to medical? They must really love this guy.
Thanks for your feedback on preparing.  I read your post in the Aircrew section. Sorry to hear. I can't imagine the feeling... I'm heading to ASC soon (sent my medical docs 2 weeks ago), I pray for a positive outcome. Regardless, if CAPSS finds me unsuitable, it's probably for the best.

This is what to do mentally: Prepare yourself psychologically in a very strong way. Focus on success and only success, but do prepare yourself to take it with a good attitude regardless whether you win or lose. If you win, keep it modest and don't show off your excitement too strongly in the presense of those who were unsuccessful, out of respect for their hard work that did not pay off. You may see kids there whose dream was to fly ever since young age, and they don't go through. You can imagine the trauma. If you lose, stay strong, congratulate the guys who succeeded and don't complain about your failure. Although it's a decent size setback, remember that you can still come back and try again. Not everyone is lucky the first time, and some people have to work harder to achieve their dream, overcoming the road blocks such as this one. They say most people who try again pass, but that's just a statistic and not a guarantee. And failing CAPSS doesn't necessarily mean you'll be lousy pilot, but it'll make you want to work harder if you still want it badly.

This is what to do physically: Go fly fly fly. Fly planes. Fly sims. Fly MS Flight Sim. FLY! And do it until the cross-check and hand-eye-feet coordination becomes second-nature. Your hours won't go to waste anyway, because even if you fail, you'll just add some more hours to get your PPL and try again. And read the ASC topics on this forum for any more tips and clues. Remember CAPSS is sensitive.

Aircrew selection will be a great experience regardless. It was definitely a hell of a week. There was good comraderie between the candidates, eating all meals together and joking around and giving each other tips. Anticipating each session, reviewing. Talked to some military personnel over meals too, including a couple of pilots. Everyone was very nice and friendly. Instructors were great guys as well. The week was very exciting, but also mentally difficult. The stress is definitely in the air, so it's up to you to control it. I suppose everyone deals with stress differently, but try to take it easy, relax, and focus. Talk to others and joke around to take the edge off. This tactic helped me back when taking university exams. On the last day of aircrew, a few guys couldn't eat breakfast. That's a little too much stress, don't be that guy! All in all, great memories for a lifetime. I'm pretty sure they could make a reality TV show on aircrew selection haha, there is enough stress, excitement, and devastation to make it interesting.

Amarko87 said:
I've read that ACSO tests are done during the day when you're not in the sim (since it's 1hr a day for each person), but my interviewer said the ACSO test is done before CAPSS.  Either way I know I will be doing CAPSS but I'm actually glad the ACSO test is before then so I don't have to focus on two different things.

Secondly, what about the ASC?  If you'd prefer to talk over PM, let me know, but I have some general questions about it.

Just posted some words about ASC above. But you can shoot me a PM with your questions, I'll help with what I can.

Update. Sworn in last night. Weekend BMQ starting in February, 2013

Quaz said:
Recruiting Center: CFRC Victoria
Regular/Reserve: Reserve
Officer/NCM: Officer
Trade Choice 1: Infantry
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
First Contact: January 2012
Application Date: March 2012
Aptitude Test: Previously done
Medical: July 17, 2012 ( a couple of small problems that took a doctor's note to sort out)
PT test: October 25, 2012
Interview: November 14, 2012
Enrollment/Swear in: Jan 23, 2013
BMQ Begins: Feb 2013

Recruiting Center: Québec city
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 2: Artillery
Trade Choice 3: Armour
First Contact: June 12, 2012
Application Date: June 12, 2012
Aptitude Test: September 11, 2012
Medical: October 9, 2012
PT test: No PT test
Interview: November 9, 2012
Enrollment/Swear in: Feb 1th, 2013  *Artillery! Infantry was close*
BMQ Begins: Feb 11, 2013

AWESOME :D

KingofKeys said:
Recruiting Centre: Toronto
Trade Choice 1: Engineer (Army)
Application Date: Summer 2009 (first); June 2012 (latest)
CFAT Completed : September 2009
Medical Completed : October 5th 2012
Interview Completed : October 15th 2012
Pre-Security Clearance: November 2nd 2012
Merit Listed: November 5th 2012
Position offered: x
Sworn in: x
Basic Training Begins: x

Recruiting Centre: Toronto
Trade Choice 1: Engineer (Army)
Application Date: Summer 2009 (first); June 2012 (latest)
CFAT Completed : September 2009
Medical Completed : October 5th 2012
Interview Completed : October 15th 2012
Pre-Security Clearance: November 2nd 2012
Merit Listed: November 5th 2012
Position offered: Engineer (Army)
Sworn in: x
Basic Training MISSED: Jan 7th 2013
Basic Training Begins: x

I found out a few days ago that I had been selected to attend the Jan 7th 2013 BMOQ, however, I never got an offer. The RC is looking into it, and it looks like I will be loaded unto the next available BMOQ.  :nod:

fergusnative said:
fergusnative said:
Recruiting Center: Online/CFRC Hamilton
Trade Choice 2: X
Trade Choice 3: X
Application Date: - December 12, 2011
First Contact: December 20, 2012 - confirmed receipt of supporting documents
Aptitude Test: June, 5 2012
Interview: July 4, 2012
Medical: July, 4 2012
Merit Listed:  August 10, 2012
Position Offered: X
Enrollment/Swear in: X
Basic Training Begins: X

Update* was called today and was left a message stating that I need to go into have my files updated and update my medical. I am not to sure what that means... I thought medicals were updated annualy because I just had my medical on July 4th 2012. I phoned all day today to book the appointment but no one picked up. I will phone tomorrow, hopefully when I go in and update that stuff they will tell me I have been accepted! (fingers crossed)

redtom said:
Recruiting Center: CFRC Calgary
Trade Choice 2: Armoured
Trade Choice 3: Artillery
Application Date: Oct 24 2012
First Contact: Dec 11 2012
Aptitude Test: Jan 11 2013
Medical exam: Jan 11 2013
Interview: Jan 11 2013
Fitness Test: Jan 29 2013
Merit Listed:  tba
Position Offered: tba
Swearing In: tba
Basic Training Begins: tba

Recruiting Center: Vancouver
Trade Choice 2: Weapons Technician - Land
Trade Choice 3: N/A
Online Application Date: January 22nd, 2013
Mailed in Copy's of Documents: January 22nd, 2013
First Contact: N/A
Aptitude Test: N/A
Medical: N/A
PT test: N/A
Interview: N/A
Enrollment/Swear in: N/A
BMQ Begins: N/A

My Education: Highschool Graduate B-Level
My Working Experience: 3 Years Construction/3 Years Warehouse
Licenses: Restricted/Non Restricted PAL (Firearms)
              First Aid Level 2 Through Saint Johns
(I included this just to give you an idea of what I applied with background wise)

My process was a bit convulted.

Online Application Filled: 25 Jan 2012
Recruiting Center: Montreal
Trade Choice 1: 00120 Comm Rsch
Trade Choice 2: 00100 Meteorological Technician (Added early Oct 2012)
Trade Choice 3: 00136 Avionic Systems Technician (Added mid-Dec 2012)
First Contact: early June 2012
Summoned to the CFRC to fill out references and sign paperwork for background check: early July 2012
References contacted: end of July 2012
Aptitude Test: Mar 2009
Medical: Old file came back from the Archives early in October. Medical section did a full update check up on 17 Oct 2012.
Interviews: Comm Rsch 25 Aug 2012 (Full interview) / Met Tech 12 Oct 2012 (15 min phone update interview) / AVS Tech 19 Dec 2012 (Full phone interview)

Offer: AVS Tech 25 Jan 2013 (Went to the CFRC to get papers from the medical section so I could do lab tests for AES Op, which would have replaced Comm Rsch in my trade choices, the medical section WO remarked that my file was inactive for AVS Tech and Met Tech, I went to the production clerk on duty to ask why, I was told they had received my offer for AVS a few minutes ago; came out of the CRFC with a new career instead of more medical tests to do.)

Enrollement: 20 Feb 2013
BMQ Begins: Bypass (PLAR request sent on 29 Oct 2012, later asked my file clerk if giving them my UER, MPRR and BMQ Course Report would facilitate the process, she resubmitted the PLAR with those files around 5 Dec 2012, PLAR came back positive on 18 Jan 2013)
PRETC Begins: 25 Feb 2013

What I learned: paperwork sucks. Ask a lot of questions. Give as much documentation as possible even if it wasn't asked for. Show an interest in keeping things moving without being annoying. Don't be surprised if your file doesn't move when your only trade choice is closed. Don't be a ***** and take any open trade, be patient and pick the cool ones.

Recruting Center: Montreal
Component: Primary Reserve
Trade Choice 1: Weapons Technician
Trade Choice 2: Infantery
Trade Choice 3: Combat Engineer
Application Date: May'15 2012
First Contact: May May'22 2012 and May'29 2012 for informations
Tests:
CFAT- August 27' 2012
Medical-  September 11' 2012
Physical- December 5' 2012
Interview- September 11' 2012
Position Offered: January '7 2013
Sworn in: January 19' 2013
Basic Training Begins:  February'1st 2013

I'm very happy to start my BMQ this week-end !  ;D

Good luck at each other people ;) 

A little update on my situation!

Recruiting Center: Montreal, QC
Trade Choice 2: Med Tech
Trade Choice 3: --
Application Date: June 19th 2012
First Contact: August 17th 2012
Aptitude Test: August 22nd 2012
Interview: August 22nd 2012 (same day as Aptitude Test)
Physical Fitness Test: August 24th 2012
Medical Test: August 30th 2012
Enrolment/Swearing in: January 19th 2013 (Infantry Royal Montreal Regiment)
Basic Training Begins: February 1st 2013

Can't wait to start the training!!!  ;D

-UPDATE-

Recruiting Center: Montreal
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Trade Choice 1: Engineering Officer
Trade Choice 2: Signals Officer
Trade Choice 3: Construction Engineering Officer
Application Date: March 5, 2012
First Contact: April 25th, 2012
Aptitude Test: May 22nd, 2012
TSD: January 30th, 2013
Interview:
Medical:
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Enrollment/Swear in:
Basic Training Begins:

fergusnative said:
fergusnative said:
fergusnative said:
Recruiting Center: Online/CFRC Hamilton
Trade Choice 2: X
Trade Choice 3: X
Application Date: - December 12, 2011
First Contact: December 20, 2012 - confirmed receipt of supporting documents
Aptitude Test: June, 5 2012
Interview: July 4, 2012
Medical: July, 4 2012
Merit Listed:  August 10, 2012
Position Offered: X
Enrollment/Swear in: X
Basic Training Begins: X

Update* was called today and was left a message stating that I need to go into have my files updated and update my medical. I am not to sure what that means... I thought medicals were updated annualy because I just had my medical on July 4th 2012. I phoned all day today to book the appointment but no one picked up. I will phone tomorrow, hopefully when I go in and update that stuff they will tell me I have been accepted! (fingers crossed)

It was basically explained to me that they've implemented a new hiring process and there are changes to their system, as well as changes/updates needed to applicant files in order to move everything under the old system to the new and to keep you merit-listed.  (My medical/interview was also done this past summer, I was merit-listed in October).  If you don't update, then your file closes because recruiters will no longer be looking at anyone under the old merit-listing conditions.

Merit two weeks ago! Just waiting on the call for artyman! Can't wait. Hope the time goes by fast

Amarko87 said:
Recruiting centre: Ottawa, Ontario
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Entry Plan: ROTP (RMC)
Trade choice 1: Pilot
Trade choice 2: ACSO
Trade choice 3: AEC
Application date: Nov 14, 2012
CFAT completed: Nov 28, 2012
Medical completed: Dec 17, 2012
Extended Medical turned in: Jan 7, 2013
Interview completed: Jan 7, 2013
ACSO Test completed: Feb 1, 2013
ASC completed: Pending
Merit listed:
Position offered:
Enrollment/swearing in:

Wrote the ACSO test.  Just got home.  Was told I scored the second highest they'd ever seen through the Ottawa CFRC.  Things are looking good.  If you want to ask any questions regarding the ACSO Test, shoot me a PM and I will help you out as best I can.

Spoke with my recruiter afterwards regarding Aircrew Selection at the CFASC.  I should be getting a call next week, most likely.  They're scheduling for the week of Feb 25 as of this time.  Really looking forward to it. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back