• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

Chief Stoker said:
To the outsider its looks odd.

???

It doesn’t to this (retired air force) civilian.  I’ve seen enough ‘Panama’ that I don’t worry what happened to the “..... City” :dunno:

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
???

It doesn’t to this (retired air force) civilian.  I’ve seen enough ‘Panama’ that I don’t worry what happened to the “..... City” :dunno:

Regards
G2G

When the first pictures of Asterix came out on social media many people asked that question, some on RCN themed pages perhaps some because they saw it as some sort of slight against english Canada. Some thought it was a government owned ship and thought it should of said Ottawa. The question was asked and answered.

Vancouver Seaspan Shipyards now has a progress page on the JSS http://www.seaspan.com/nss-progress-galleries/nss-photo-gallery-jss-1

Contract for deck equipment for the JSS awarded by Seaspan

https://www.vesselfinder.com/news/13497-Seaspan-Shipyards-Announces-Major-Contract-for-Joint-Support-Ships

Two and a half years from contract signatue to launch of first Aussie AOR. Pretty good schedule.

https://mobile.navaltoday.com/2018/11/23/first-australian-supply-class-aor-launched-in-spain/

On the other hand Turkish LHD Anadolu keeps on track. At the end of the day Navantia seems to be a reliable partner.

Not a nice looking ship, the older AOR design and the bridge is small compared to the hanger

48f43f87e83206e9c9b243295435f1ec.jpg

612 million (CDN) for two supply vessels. 

Once again the Aussies put our procurement system to shame. 

Dolphin_Hunter said:
612 million (CDN) for two supply vessels. 

Once again the Aussies put our procurement system to shame.

That's not comparing apples to apples, as that is just for the ship.  They have another contract for another $250M for the first five years of sustainment. There are additional project costs for parts etc.

Still a good deal, but that's the benefit of buying something off the shelf (and current) and building it at the existing yard. Using an older design that needed updating, plus requiring 100% Canadian offset drove a bunch of costs and delays. Doing that on top of restarting a yard with a bunch of concurrent projects makes the whole thing pretty understandable. 

Maybe I'd be happier if somebody in Canada could just tell me the price of an apple.....like the rest of the world can.

Chris Pook said:
Maybe I'd be happier if somebody in Canada could just tell me the price of an apple.....like the rest of the world can.

Is the apple a Canadian apple or a non-Canadian apple?

If the apple is Canadian, where was it grown? 

If grown in Ontario, the price of the apple will be the cheapest. 
If grown in Quebec then it will be double the cost of the apple grown in Ontario because of the need to label the apple in English and French. 
If the apple is grown in BC then the apple will be 50% more expensive than the apple grown in Quebec because of the requirement to use only organic growing methods. 
If the apple is grown in the Maritimes then it will be 75% more expensive than the BC apple because of the small-growers incentive plan, the heritage incentive plan to maintain a regionally culturally significant way of life and the national equality fairness act.
If the apple is gown in the Federally funded and maintained High Arctic Greenhouse Experiment Programme, then said apple will not be sold to the Canadian public but will be given to specifically selected countries worthy to receive said apple as part of the CIDA programme delivery model. This apple will be counted as both a government expense and a revenue effectively cancelling each out.  The Auditor General will protest vigorously but no one will listen nor care.

The apple grown in the US will cost you .63 cents CAD by pound (or 1.38 by the kg), in the EU it will cost you 1.21 CAD by the kg, in South Korea the apple will cost .97 cents CAD by the kg and they will individually hand wrap each apple you buy.

Whatever your thoughts about iAOR and JSS, this shot across the bows by Chantier/Davie is damn funny!

https://www.facebook.com/CoultishManagement/videos/1172581732876205/

OMG that is too funny!

Kudos to these guys for dumming it down to a level that most (not all) Canadians can understand. Yup, I'll take the flak for this statement.

Some more icing on Davie's cake

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/for-crew-of-mv-asterix-return-home-means-a-chance-to-refuel-1.23546336?fbclid=IwAR1zJemhK1885rXirSRmDF9ubk6XDHwodymwODdwb6a8k7svyMDJE-md-lI

One of the comments on Davie's video that made sense was that Asterix is purely an oiler, whereas JSS or whatever it's going to be called will carry ammunition, etc. 

So in reality, Canada needs both, unless we're planning on relying on partners for bullets and not just gas (and whatever Asterix can send).

Dimsum said:
One of the comments on Davie's video that made sense was that Asterix is purely an oiler, whereas JSS or whatever it's going to be called will carry ammunition, etc. 

So in reality, Canada needs both, unless we're planning on relying on partners for bullets and not just gas (and whatever Asterix can send).

The Protecteur Class are supposed to carry 1,100 tonnes of ammunition.

Dimsum said:

Asterix has a magazine in the forward end of the ship for replenishing the frigates.

Colin P said:
Asterix has a magazine in the forward end of the ship for replenishing the frigates.

Asterix has 20 ft ISO containers converted for magazine use.

I would take that article on the Asterix with a little grain of salt.

The writer says she was built from a tanker, which is not the case as she was converted from a container ship. Also, they call the cyclone a single-engine helicopter. While the Cyclone are single-rotor helicopters (as opposed to twin-rotor like the Chinook), they are definitely twin-engined, not single.

Back