• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any ED Techs out there??

GIJANE

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm currently a Gunner in the Artillery right now but seriously thinking of an OT and Electrical distribution tech seems pretty cool, is it a good trade?? any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!  ;)

Jane

GIJANE said:
I'm currently a Gunner in the Artillery right now but seriously thinking of an OT and Electrical distribution tech seems pretty cool, is it a good trade?? any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!   ;)

Jane

I know alot of guys in the Ed trade, from when i was in the engineers. Seems to be a realy good trade, very busy lots of tours. EGS was also a realy good loooking trade, i don't know if you have considered it.

Hey Jane,
If you run into any Ed-Techs please let me know; I've been looking for literally years!! I'm recruiting for that position now. :salute:

Cool! absolutely I'll be putting my OT in soon, since we may be moving to gagetown now, and the course is 26 weeks in gagetown, have you checked the recruiting site?

Jane

I'm pretty sure I've check all sites.  : ???  I'm waiting for my trade qualification to come back from selection review board.  I did put Gagetown as my first place to be posted too.

Cool, I'm waiting to find out if we are indeed posted to Gagetown then i will put my OT in, just waiting waiting waiting
???

Jane

Hey Jane I'm ED Tech and so is my wife. I'm in the Reserves CT'ing to Reg. Force and its taken three years so far for my application to go through.  However, seeing as I've been offered a go at the RCMP and have accepted, now I hear back from the CF I'll have my offer by the end of this month.  So we'll see if they follow through.

Being a bit partial here because its my trade, I think its a fantastic trade with a lot of opportunities.  My wife got in within two months of applying, and she had no electrical training what so ever (ahem it took me quite a bit longer, go figure!).

I can offer you a few pointers if you do switch, but don't be offended please, its just from my own experience that I tell you this.

I was Army for about 10 yrs then CT'd to Air Force and never looked back (not a slag at Army, I loved my time there) because I received a LOT more trades related training and experience than I ever did before joining Air.  If you stick with Army its a tri-trade anyways, meaning you can be posted to any base, regardless of Element.  If you want more experience on the electrical side I would try keeping away from being posted to a Construction unit because I found I did very little wiring or electrical work of any sort.  I'm sure others have had different experiences, but that was my experience.  Regular force ED Techs I spoke with have had similar experiences though.

So I've been waiting on pins and needles for the offer come in.  I'd much rather join the blues than the reds!

DME

aesop081 said:
I know alot of guys in the Ed trade, from when i was in the engineers. Seems to be a realy good trade, very busy lots of tours.

SHHHH!!!! Quiet please!   My wife might read that part about going on tour a lot and make me pull my application!

ab136 said:
Hey Jane,
If you run into any Ed-Techs please let me know; I've been looking for literally years!! I'm recruiting for that position now. :salute:

There are ED yechs on every base...maybe look harder.....years ??

Griswald said:
Hey Jane I'm ED Tech and so is my wife. I'm in the Reserves CT'ing to Reg. Force and its taken three years so far for my application to go through.   However, seeing as I've been offered a go at the RCMP and have accepted, now I hear back from the CF I'll have my offer by the end of this month.   So we'll see if they follow through.

Being a bit partial here because its my trade, I think its a fantastic trade with a lot of opportunities.   My wife got in within two months of applying, and she had no electrical training what so ever (ahem it took me quite a bit longer, go figure!).

I can offer you a few pointers if you do switch, but don't be offended please, its just from my own experience that I tell you this.

I was Army for about 10 yrs then CT'd to Air Force and never looked back (not a slag at Army, I loved my time there) because I received a LOT more trades related training and experience than I ever did before joining Air.   If you stick with Army its a tri-trade anyways, meaning you can be posted to any base, regardless of Element.   If you want more experience on the electrical side I would try keeping away from being posted to a Construction unit because I found I did very little wiring or electrical work of any sort.   I'm sure others have had different experiences, but that was my experience.   Regular force ED Techs I spoke with have had similar experiences though.

So I've been waiting on pins and needles for the offer come in.   I'd much rather join the blues than the reds!

DME

I was actually thinking of going blue :)   been army 7 years (regs) and in an combat arms trade, my old man told me yesterday to literally start parking for gagetown cause we are getting posted, no offence to W Bty but no thanks, i'm pulling my OT out of my pocket onto someones desk fast! At least I'm hearing  good things about the trade, it's really the only one i've been interested in so far, and my family is near so the course won't seem so long to me.Thanks for the advice, so would you say i should stay green or go blue? My old man wants to get posted to Esquimalt. But good luck in whatever you decide to take   ;)

Jane

yes I mean years.  There may be ed-techs around but they don't seem to be on this forum; at least since early 04 :salute:

Hey Gi!
I'm not an ED, but a Ph Tech. I work with them guys though!
Ed is a good trade (being an electrician on civvie streets). A year and a half after the 5's, you can challenge the civvie exam to be qualified as a journeyman in the civvie world.
The bad thing is that if you're posted to an army base (belonging to a CER "construction troop"), you might have more down time than if you're on an air force base (Ce base maintenance).

Egs tech is good only on air force bases. They don't fix generators on army bases (FCS Techs does..)

Honesty

reference the "blue" or "green" thing, you won't notice a difference if you're posted to an army base. Whatever the colour, you'll have to do the same job, including going to the field once in a while (once or twice a year). The regiments will consider you as a green even though you're blue. It's is a question of postings, not colour. Air force bases means more oportunities to do your job, less vehicule maintenance, parades and field stuff....

That being said, you are now in a green uniform. Switching to blue will not change a lot. I know lots of "remusters" who switched to blue to "avoid" some stuff(you did your time, i agree), but the bottom line is... they cursed a bit being posted to a regiment. The air force world is good as long as you're posted to an air force base. Same thing to be said of every other trades ( Navy or air force going to the field because they belongs to an army unit)!!!!!!!!!!!1

Honestyrules

Where and how long is the course? i read on the recruit site that it's 6 months in Gagetown but my hubby says it's in Borden....

Jane

Not sure on how long the course is but it IS in gagetown...taught at CFSME

QL3 is about six months long, QL5 is about six months long.  Both are in Gagetown unless they are outsourced.  For instance there is a course running in Halifax right now that is outsourced.  Not sure if "outsourced" is the correct term, but you get the idea.

It is great to hear from other Sparkies : )
I've been in for over a year and didn't get away for MOC training for C/Eng in the summer. I love being in a Combat Engineer Regiment  but it is hard on the pride factor because they won't recognize my Electrical licence's.
So while young kids get promoted to Sapper and Corporal's ( which they have earned ) I'm still a private nobody. I've noticed that advanced MOC for an Cbt Eng is to be an Electrician. So I have advanced MOC training but just not my Sapper's training. So I still have a cornflake on my beret and no stripe or rank of any sort. 
I was told by a WO at Vigilante Guardian exercise at Petewawa the Reserves will be looking at the trades soon but have heard nothing since.

Back