• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any chance to become a pilot now?

Folks,

Thanks for all the help and great advice.  My wife just infomed me that I absolutely do not meet the vision requirements to become a pilot (she is an Optometrist after all).  I'm -5 in one eye, -4.75 in the other but no where near 6/12 or 6/18 uncorrected.  Corrected I am 20/20.  Despite this setback I will go ahead with the education and private pilots license in hopes the CF changes the rules eventually.  The change can only mean good things for myself but to tell you the truth it's so damn disheartening.  I'm not one to sulk, have to suck it up and carry-on, right?

If anyone knows of anything different in terms of vision requirements or know another way to become a combat pilot then I am all ears.  Would the US be willing to sign on a Canadian citizen as an air force pilot (I know I know...I shouldn'y bring the USAF into this forum - dumb question)?

Cpl Jay

Short answer, is no! You need to be a citizen of the Us of A. Maximum age is 35, and that's in the army Warrant officer program. In Europe, most of the country's maximum age for pilot is 25.

jzaidi1,

You could really enjoy flying off the island or in Brampton and until you have given that a chance, don't feel so bad about it. You make good money; why not get an aerobatic rating once your PPL is out of the way? Trust me, it is loads of fun!

Good luck with your studies and ratings.

You could also look into AirNav, Flight Engineer roles, etc if you want to be up the skies....

Meridian said:
You could also look into AirNav, Flight Engineer roles, etc if you want to be up the skies....

Not to burst any bubbles but given his eyesight that would be doubtfull for Airnav or FE.

jzaidi1 said:
Well by the time I earn a degree (or start pursuing one) I'll be too old (IMHO) to be selected for fixed wing (I'm talking CF-18s) duties.

40% and perhaps a little bit more of current cockpit allocations are for rotary wing.
I wouldn't come into the training program with a "fixed wing" only attitude - you stand a 40% chance of being disappointed.
Out of the the fixed wing selection slots only a small percentage are selected for fighter force.
Coming into the career field with an "I'm going to be a fighter pilot only" ... chances are ... you'll most likely be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Just trying to shine some light of reality for you - that's all.
Don't put all your eggs in the "I'm gonna' be a fighter pilot only man .." basket.

Don't shoot the messenger.
Best wishes if you do try out - it's a great career regardless of what cockpit you end up in.

Folks,

Again thank you for the constructive criticism and words of wisdom.  I may have misrepresented myself when I lead you to believe that "Fast Air" is the only thing I am interested in.  Althought that is HIGHLY desirable I would have been happy enough to sit in a chopper or transport aircraft.

Funny how things turn around from day to day.  My wife mentioned that there is a "relavtively" new but long/cumbersome way to improve eyesight without surgery.  It's called Ortho-K (Orthokeratology).  Basically it's an eye re-shaping lens that is worn at night - there is a possibility of become 6/6 (20/20 imperial measurements) but it will take a couple of years.  It permanently re-shapes the cornea without the disadvantages of going Lasik or PRK (scarring or residual flaps).  Ortho-K will have to be worn every night for the rest of your life once you hit your target eyesight but it's worth it in my opinion.  My wife is going to point me to a few resources.  I'll post my results here but you can also perform a google search on the aforementioned keywords.

I may have found my "in" but of course I am cautiously optimistic.  One step at a time - get started on my education, get fit(ter) and find out more about Ortho-K.  There is a silver cloud to all of this.

Cpl Jay

p.s Nothing wrong with making good money - as long as it doesn't take you away from your dreams.

Globesmasher said:
40% and perhaps a little bit more of current cockpit allocations are for rotary wing.
I wouldn't come into the training program with a "fixed wing" only attitude - you stand a 40% chance of being disappointed.
Out of the the fixed wing selection slots only a small percentage are selected for fighter force.
Coming into the career field with an "I'm going to be a fighter pilot only" ... chances are ... you'll most likely be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Just trying to shine some light of reality for you - that's all.
Don't put all your eggs in the "I'm gonna' be a fighter pilot only man .." basket.

Don't shoot the messenger.
Best wishes if you do try out - it's a great career regardless of what cockpit you end up in.

Globemasher, in the recent selections and the next few, they try to give Jets to anyone who has the marks to do it and wants it.  The rest is split 50/50 (maybe a little more helos, depending on the size of the course) between helos and multis.

Max

jzaidi1 said:
Funny how things turn around from day to day.  My wife mentioned that there is a "relavtively" new but long/cumbersome way to improve eyesight without surgery.  It's called Ortho-K (Orthokeratology).  Basically it's an eye re-shaping lens that is worn at night - there is a possibility of become 6/6 (20/20 imperial measurements) but it will take a couple of years.  It permanently re-shapes the cornea without the disadvantages of going Lasik or PRK (scarring or residual flaps).  Ortho-K will have to be worn every night for the rest of your life once you hit your target eyesight but it's worth it in my opinion. 

Your first step should be to verify if Ortho-K is allowed for new pilots. With recent changes to the visual standard your best bet would be to contact the research center in Toronto to get the latest and most accurate info and maybe a glimpse of the future.
http://www.toronto.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/contactus_e.html

Your wife would probably be the person to drop them an email/phone call as she knows all the optometry mumbo jumbo. If you get any relevant info, it would be nice if you could share it with us for future reference.

Crantor said:
Not to burst any bubbles but given his eyesight that would be doubtfull for Airnav or FE.

Can someone confirm whether or not corrected vision was not just allowed for all non-pilot aircrew?

So if he corrects his vision, wouldn't he be ok for Airnav or FE?

It can be.  Depending on the results.  Plus he would have to be a viable candidate for the surgery to begin with.

Now that I've strayed way out of my lane, the best thing would be for him to talk to a PA at the CFRC/D who can give him the real correct answer.

So my dream is helos!! Most of the guys/gals I meet all say fighter's!!! Which should be great for me!! ;D ;D :salute:

muahahaha volition you and I both man. I was convinced to try out for TacHel when I actually get in as a pilot (when ever that maybe). I heard there's a need for them  ;)

I bet you would have to do all the fixed wing stuff first right?? Did transport canada rule that flying an airplane is dangerous to flying a helicopter after??

lotion said:
I bet you would have to do all the fixed wing stuff first right?? Did transport canada rule that flying an airplane is dangerous to flying a helicopter after??

You have no clue what you are talking about.

Please take my advice and read through the fora here before posting anything else. You may then be able to post intelligently.

And fill out your profile.

Hi,

I will be walking into a recruitment centre early next week to explore options.  Not to apply for pilot as of yet but at least establish a relationship with a recruitment officer and seek his/her guidance.

Anyone thing this is a good step so early in the process of "tranforming" myself from a Bay Street geek into a formidable candidate?  Some info I will be seeking will centre around education, the right steps, eyesight, etc.

Thoughts?

Cpl Jay

If you want an official answer, the only way to get it is from the CFRC.

Do note that recruiting can't tell you about eyesight, and that you'll have to speak to a PA from the Medical Section about that.

On the education standpoint, my best advice to you is to get accepted into a University Degree program, and if possible, have some solid marks to show for that, particularly if your previous marks were crap.

Hate to burst the bubble.... but laser eye will not be accepted in the RCAF. It is currently accepted in USAF, but not in RCAF.

Of course it won't be accepted in the RCAF because there is no longer such as organization.

Back