• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any chance to become a pilot now?

CDN Aviator said:
:rofl:

Wait until you get operational unit. Trust me.........

It is humble confidence.... you should see what they are like before they finish the Jaw. ;)

volition said:
The pilot trade is closed!! They even closed Trenton for ACS recruiting for a while now! :rage:

It is starting up again. I recently received a date in April.

Weiss, if you haven't already had the interview, I am sure you can imagine what sort of questions they will ask you. It isn't that bad. Start thinking about your answers and good luck!

I've had so many different worries/thoughts enter my mind about the various training phases right from stepping off the bus in St.Jean to MJ and beyond. I've always wondered how I would do if I received an offer mainly because of my thin log book. Reading your stories certainly give me more to think about while I watch the 144's in the circuit. Thanks for sharing your stories about the training.

Bograt said:
weiss said:
I cannot see any problem if I ever join, in fact the biggest obstacle I see is an interview in a few days ahead of me and board decision - i.e.  things a do not have control over, everything else is doable, is it not?

Thanks, you made me laugh this morning. It is humorous to see such naivety. Please don't misinterpret my response as arrogance or an affront to your flying abilities. What you are contemplating as a career choice is extremely challenging regardless of your background. Last week a friend of mine was CT'd. He had a degree from a recognized aviation college in Canada and had over 1000 hrs of time with a small charter company in Atlantic Canada. I am also aware of a former Pakistani mirage pilot who immigrated to Canada and later joined the CF as a Pilot. He was immediately placed in Phase 3 in Moose Jaw, only to be recoursed to Phase 2. He was later selected to go multi. He failed out.

There are no cocky pilots after Moose Jaw. It is beaten out of them and replaced with humble confidence.

Good luck, and as I said before joining is the easiest step.

Actually, to quote you..."Thanks, you made me laugh this morning"  On the chuckles side, Bograt, I'm glad you see that the arrogance/cockiness thing is solved by the time you guys graduate from Moose Jaw.  ;D

Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with Weiss' attitude...there's a lot of truth to the "change those things you have control over, learn to accept those you don't"  If I'm reading him right, he's saying that the interview is not really something he can shape, but how he works during training clearly is.  Makes sense to me -- not seeing any naivety there.

Weiss, don't feel dirty or anything if your thoughts are straying from the raging desire to be a seized-rotor wank.  ;)

G2G

MG said:
It is starting up again. I recently received a date in April.

Weiss, if you haven't already had the interview, I am sure you can imagine what sort of questions they will ask you. It isn't that bad. Start thinking about your answers and good luck!

I've had so many different worries/thoughts enter my mind about the various training phases right from stepping off the bus in St.Jean to MJ and beyond. I've always wondered how I would do if I received an offer mainly because of my thin log book. Reading your stories certainly give me more to think about while I watch the 144's in the circuit. Thanks for sharing your stories about the training.

Yea, April is the new fiscal year!! No surprise!

Good2Golf said:
Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with Weiss' attitude...G2G

G2G, thank you.  I almost began worrying about my communication skills. 

Haven't made to interview yet.  Just got a call few days ago - question was if I still want to go to interview as pilot trade is still closed.  I said yes and now I am back to waiting and holding my breath.

Well,

It's nice to see the thread has been kept alive...unlike my dream of becoming a fighter pilot (or A pilot at all) in the CF.  CF recruiting gave me the final word - there will be no exemptions for anyone with less than V1/V2 eyesight.  I pulled every last bit of data I could to have a hearing with a committee but no go.  I even connected with several current CF-18 pilots who gave me some great advice.  My time served in the Army was the only reason why the recruiter would even table such a request to see if exemptions are possible.  He did his best!!

I'm 33 now - even if I was accepted and had approved laser surgery it would take me 4 years of training and general "time in" to complete CF-18 pilot training, IF I ever made it that far.  At 37 the days would be numbered as an operational fighter pilot (be lucky to get 3 years of experience at that point).  Most fly from age 29-36 and then move on to something else.  The body just can't take the daily pounding nor can it recover as quickly at that age - fighter pilot I am talking about.

Well I have started looking at ground school to at least get a private pilots license - a small consolation to the great dream.  I ask anyone who has the education, physical ability and smarts to have a chance in the CF as a pilot not to hesitate one moment.  Join the Air Force in another occupation if you have to a re-muster after several years.

I'm signing off for now but will check periodically.  You all have been great!!

CPL Jay

CPL Jay....enjoy the private licence.  Sure, a 172 isn't a Hornet (although for a lot of people that's a benefit instead of a drawback), but just being up in the air is a lot of fun, and the first time you take your wife for a sight seeing tour with you at the controls makes the cost worth it.

Back