• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Announcements & Decisions on Tactical & Stratigic Airlift (Fall 2005 and 2006)

geo said:
Airbus is having all sorts of problems right now.
The german workers are even talking about...... strikes

Airbus has bet it's reputation on the A380 - which is way behind schedule and waaaaaay over budget.... the A400 is only an afterthought.

Even better reason not to get involved.

Just to let folks around here know.

I emailed David Akin to express my concern about the impression left by Dawn Black's words going uncontested - that Canada was going to be buying an aircraft rejected by other nations.  While it is true it has been turned down by one service of one nation for one mission that same nation, and many others have selected the same aircraft for other missions.  Those missions are broadly in keeping with the role the C130J is likely to be asked to undertake, IMHO.

I got a very prompt and considered reply.  The essence of which is that while Mr. Akin was aware of the "back story" on the aircraft he apparently couldn't get any senior public figures to go on the record to refute Ms. Black's claim.

I think that says as much about information management as it does about news reporting.

Having toured around the AFG airspace in both our C130s and a RAF C130J, having an aviation background myself, and having spoken in depth with both CAN and GBR 130 crews, I can say that I think/assess that the 130J will work very well for us, for reasons beyond just being the only aircraft that will actually be available when we need them (i.e. yesterday!) 

I would also like to wager that the A400M doesn't go IOC until 2011.

G2G

A post on this at "The Torch";

"Dishonesty in Journalism, Graduate School Division"
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2006/10/dishonesty-in-journalism-graduate_28.html

Mark
Ottawa

geo said:
Airbus is having all sorts of problems right now.
The german workers are even talking about...... strikes

Airbus has bet it's reputation on the A380 - which is way behind schedule and waaaaaay over budget.... the A400 is only an afterthought.

Further to Geo's comment:

Airbus Confirms Further A380 DelayLaunches Company Restructuring Plan   Toulouse, 03 October 2006

Airbus has informed its A380 customers about a further delay in the delivery schedule of the A380. According to this revised plan, the first A380 will be delivered in October 2007. Thirteen more will be delivered in 2008 and 25 in 2009. The industrial ramp-up will be completed in 2010, when 45 A380s are going to be delivered.

Fully aware of the impact this has on their development plans, Airbus is in close contact with its customers and is doing its utmost to find ways and means to alleviate the burden this represents for them.

In June, the amount of work to be done to finalise the installation of the electrical harnesses into the forward and rear section of the fuselage had been underestimated. Beyond the complexity of the cable installation, the root cause of the problem is the fact that the 3D Digital Mock up, which facilitates the design of the electrical harnesses installation, was implemented late and that the people working on it were in their learning curve. ......

http://eads.net/web/lang/en/1024/content/OF00000000400004/8/52/41142528.html/41180009_41180009/content/OF00000040950509/1/33/41480331.html

Meanwhile

Airbus Signed Agreement With CASGC For Largest Single Transaction Ever - 170 AircraftToulouse, 26 October 2006

China Aviation Supplies Import and Export Group Corporation (CASGC) signed a General Terms Agreement (GTA) for the purchase of 150 A320 Family aircraft and a Letter of Intent (LOI) for 20 A350XWB aircraft with Airbus in Beijing.

China Aviation Supplies Import and Export Group Corporation (CASGC) signed a General Terms Agreement (GTA) for the purchase of 150 A320 Family aircraft and a Letter of Intent (LOI) for 20 A350XWB aircraft with Airbus in Beijing .......
http://eads.net/web/lang/en/1024/content/OF00000000400004/8/52/41142528.html/41180009_41180009/content/OF00000040950509/1/33/41480331.html

And

Airbus Signs Framework Agreement With Chinese Consortium On A320 Final Assembly Line In China Toulouse, 26 October 2006

Airbus has signed today the Framework Agreement with a Chinese Consortium comprising Tianjin Free Trade Zone (TJFTZ), China Aviation Industry Corporation I (AVIC I) and China Aviation Industry Corporation II (AVIC II) in Beijing on the establishment of an A320 Family Final Assembly Line in China. This follows the study initiated in late 2005 and is part of Airbus’ commitment to increasing its industrial cooperation with China.

Airbus has signed today the Framework Agreement with a Chinese Consortium comprising Tianjin Free Trade Zone (TJFTZ), China Aviation Industry Corporation I (AVIC I) and China Aviation Industry Corporation II (AVIC II) in Beijing on the establishment of an A320 Family Final Assembly Line in China. This follows the study initiated in late 2005 and is part of Airbus’ commitment to increasing its industrial cooperation with China.

In one fell swoop it appears that Airbus has received a significant cash infusion, a lower manufacturing cost for a proven aircraft and a tie to a potentially very lucrative customer.  As well as bypassing German labour problems to an extent.  And China gains.....

As to the "learning curve" issue: Is that perhaps due to too many new projects at that same time with too many new hires?

Mark - I responded at "The Torch".

Cheers, Chris.  :)

There is a factor that is valid in the CTV story - certification is a problem for the C-130J and will be a problem for Canada if they purchase the aircraft.  According to the story in the following link, it was primarily a certification issue that was the reason the aircraft was rejected by the US JCA competition.
http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-1994000.php

C27J Spartan...... isn't that the "mini" Herc that the Airforce already has ( and has parked on the ramp for lack of parts & other service issues)?

I believe the CF was looking at the C27J as a replacement for the old Buffalo

My further take:

"New planes for Air Force: Critics take aim at media and politicians"
http://www.damianpenny.com/archived/007994.html

Mark
Ottawa

This looked like the best place to share this latest bit - feel free to move it as you see fit mods.  Am I the only one worried about this jacking up the cost, and slowing the delivery clock?

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

Choppers could carry troops into Afghanistan
Murray Brewster, Canadian Press, via Globe & Mail 29 Oct 06

OTTAWA — Ottawa has quietly amended its contract with the maker of the navy's new Cyclone helicopters to ensure that the choppers will not only be able to hunt submarines, but also carry troops.

The design change, expected to add roughly $5-million to the overall price tag, would allow the air force to assign the choppers to a wide variety of different roles — including potential air support for the army in Afghanistan.

The Defence Department, however, denies that it's making the move with the Afghan mission specifically in mind.

Colonel Dave Burt, director of air requirements for the department, acknowledged that being able to strip the H-92 quickly of its sonar and radar gear, and strap in troop seats, was not part of the initial design for the Cyclones, the long-awaited replacements for the decades-old Sea Kings.

The change “will provide us with far better flexibility and capability,” said Col. Burt.

As it stands, Canadian soldiers operating in Afghanistan must hitch chopper rides into battle with other NATO countries.

But the decision to order the change to the Cyclone was not directly driven by the need for air support among Canada's 2,500 troops in Kandahar, said Col. Burt.

Nor has there been any decision to send the choppers to Afghanistan after they begin rolling off the assembly line in 2008, he said.

“There was no specific theatre — or specific event — that was brought to mind when the decision was made. This was done in the interest of transformation of the forces,” he said.

All three branches of the military are in the midst of a major shake-up orchestrated by Chief of Defence Staff General Rick Hillier, who is trying to break down the traditional barriers between the army, air force and navy. The idea is to make them more nimble and able to respond rapidly to crises at home and aboard.

As part of that plan Gen. Hillier wants to see the navy purchase or build an amphibious landing transport — or “Big Honkin' Ship” as he calls it — to rapidly deploy soldiers to global hot spots. Troop-carrying helicopters are a must for that kind of warship.

The air force is already preparing for its new role by training existing Sea King pilots on the finer points of picking up and dropping off troops.

The former Liberal government signed a $1.8-billion deal with Sikorsky Aircraft Corp. of Stratford, Conn., to build 28 helicopters and begin delivering one per month starting in November 2008. In addition, the company won a $3.2-billion, 20-year service contract.

In the meantime, there has been speculation that the breakdown-prone Sea Kings might see service in Afghanistan, in the hope that airlifts could help stem the tide of casualties from roadside bomb attacks.

The design changes ordered to the Cyclone will not affect its 2008 delivery date, said Col. Burt.

Ideally, the air force would like to see mechanics able to rip out the helicopter's submarine-hunting gear and replace it with troops seats on demand. Converting the old Sea Kings from one role to another is a long, painful process that requires putting the aircraft into the shop for months at a time.

I saw that article as well.  The thing that surprised me was the statement that the role-switching option wasn't in the final contract.  I thought that was in the Statement of Requirement from the beginning.

KH - if that's the case, I'm a >LITTLE< less concerned about escalating costs.  Not that the troops aren't worth it, mind you, (Lord knows they've been waiting long enough), but every $ you don't have to spend on x and still get a good product, the more is available to spend on y.

milnewstbay said:
KH - if that's the case, I'm a >LITTLE< less concerned about escalating costs.  Not that the troops aren't worth it, mind you, (Lord knows they've been waiting long enough), but every $ you don't have to spend on x and still get a good product, the more is available to spend on y.

Don't get me wrong.  It's not that I am not concerned about costs.  I am just confused about the ability to roll the Anti-Sub gear out and install seats. 

Just speculation here but the change mentioned could be something that really cuts down the configuration time from one role to another. Like changing how the ASW gear is fitted into the cabin. If all of the equipment was configured to be latched in place vs. nuts and bolts it would be much easier to do a quick conversion. Not just for troop support but for medevac, cargo and evacuation missions. It would greatly enhance the capability to respond to any situation without delay while people dismantle gear that is installed by the usual methods.

Kirkhill said:
Don't get me wrong.  It's not that I am not concerned about costs.  I am just confused about the ability to roll the Anti-Sub gear out and install seats. 

Slide and pin-lock systems for interior and easy access removable sensors on the exterior. Getting it all out and off is the small [not so easy]part. Easy re-installation, calibration and acceptance by the crew is quite another kettle of fish.

Understood whiskey and thanks.

Was it just my imagination or was that in the original Statement of Requirement?

No, it wasn't in the SOR. The SOR talks about the requirement and justificaton and ends with "Therefore, the MH must be capable of transferring a minimum of six passengers."

The MHRS (Maritime Helicopter Requirements Spec) is more specific:
3.12.8 Furnishings and Equipment
3.12.8.1 Seats
3.12.8.1.1 Passenger Seats
3.12.8.1.1.1 The MH shall incorporate and include six passenger seats, two of which are fitted at all
times. The remaining four seats may be ROLE FIT EQUIPMENT.
3.12.8.1.1.2 All passenger seats shall be stowable while fitted within the helicopter.

beenthere is largely correct - the change was to move the tactical console from facing forwards in the rear of the aircraft to facing left along the left side, repositioning the ASW gear, and ensuring they go in and out easily.  There are various configs, one is full up ASW with up to six seats, one is hybrid (all sensors but ASW) and up to 13 seats, and one is no console or mission rack and up to 22 seats.  A large part of the extra cost is the seats...

Back